These protein balls are packed with allergy friendly chocolate, sweet coconut, and a boost of protein. With no refined sugar, they’re a vegan, low carb, gluten free, and allergy friendly snack.
- 1/3 cup ground flax meal
- 4 tbsp almond butter or peanut butter (for nut-free option, use sunflower seed butter)
- 2 heaping tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or honey – not needed if mixed in food processor
- 2 servings (60 g) chocolate protein powder of choice (sugar free)
- 1–2 tbsp coconut oil, naturally refined
- 1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut, plus more to coat the balls
- 2–3 tbsp dark chocolate morsels or cocoa nibs
- Place flax meal, creamy nut butter or sunflower seed butter, and cocoa powder in food processor. Blend until combined.
- Next, add protein powder, shredded coconut, and coconut oil. Blend until a smooth batter is formed. This might take a couple minutes, so be sure to stop the food processor or blender and scrape sides, then continue to blend until smooth. If you don’t have a blender, see notes.
- Transfer batter into a large mixing bowl and stir in chocolate chips or cocoa nibs. Roll the batter into one large ball, cover with plastic wrap, and place in fridge to firm up for about 20 minutes.
- Remove batter from fridge and then roll the dough into balls about the size of golf ball.
- Roll each ball in the extra shredded coconut before storing in fridge or freezer .
- Freeze right away for 20 minutes (to harden); then store in fridge or freezer to maintain freshness, up to 2 months.
- For keto option, omit maple syrup and use sugar free chocolate chips and protein.
- For vegan option, use sprouted pea protein.
- If you don’t have a blender you may mix the batter by hand in a bowl, but you will need to add teh maple syrup to bind it. The texture will be a little grittier. Adjust syrup depending on thickness of batter and amount of protein powder used.
- Category: snacks
- Method: no bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 protein ball
Keywords: protein balls, no bake protein snacks, keto, low sugar, vegan, gluten free, no bake, energy balls