These no bake protein balls (chocolate and vanilla chocolate chunk!) are a healthy nut free lunchbox idea or post-workout snack, made with pea protein nutritional booster! Grain free, dairy free, vegan, and nut free recipe.
- 10 dates – best soaked for 20 minutes
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/3 cup (55 g) Bob’s Red Mill chocolate pea protein or Vanilla pea protein
- 2–3 tbsp coconut milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips and/or dark chocolate chunks
- Optional unsweetened cocoa powder (1 tbsp)
- Extra melted dark chocolate to drizzle
- First, soak your dates in purified water for 20 minutes. This just helps to soften before you blend. That way you don’t have to use a syrup or nut butter to bind.
- Place soaked dates and sunflower seeds in a food processor. Blend until batter is mixed and combined. This usually takes around 2 minutes or so. Scrape sides between blending.
- Place date and sunflower seed mix into a larger bowl. Mix in your protein powder, vanilla, coconut milk and chocolate chips. If you are making the chocolate chunk chocolate protein balls, add in your extra cocoa powder (if desired) as well.
- Roll into golf ball size balls. Place on a baking sheet and freeze for 20 minutes.
- While balls are are freezing, melt the extra dark chocolate on stove or microwave.
- Remove protein balls from freezer and drizzle with melted dark chocolate on top.
- Place back in freezer for another 10 minutes.
- Once the chocolate has set, place balls in a storage container (or ziplock bag) and store in freezer or fridge until ready to eat.
See notes for binding tips and storage.
- Store in freezer for up to 3 months
- If the batter is hard to bind or roll after mixing, stir in a few tbsp of maple syrup or a sunflower seed butter.
- NUTRITION TIPS – 3 bites would be equivalent to a protein bar with 9-12 grams of protein and 240-250 calories.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Category: snack
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 85
- Sugar: 7
- Fat: 3 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 11 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 3 to 4g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: protein balls, energy bites, snacks, vegan, plant based, dairy free, nut free, chocolate