These no bake protein balls (chocolate and vanilla chocolate chunk!) are a healthy nut free lunchbox idea or post-workout snack, made with pea protein nutritional booster! Grain free, dairy free, vegan, and nut free recipe.
- 10 dates
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/3 cup (55 g) chocolate or vanilla plant protein
- 3 to 5 Tablespoons coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips and/or dark chocolate chunks
- Optional 1 Tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- Extra melted dark chocolate to drizzle
- In a small bowl, soak the dates in purified water for 20 minutes. This helps to soften them before blending as they’re used as a binder in this recipe.
- Place soaked dates and sunflower seeds in a food processor. Blend until batter is mixed and combined about 2 minutes, scraping the sides between blending.
- Place the date and sunflower seed mixture into a larger bowl. Add the protein powder, 2-3 tablespoons coconut milk, vanilla and the chocolate chips. If making the chocolate chunk chocolate protein balls, add in the optional cocoa powder.
- Mix well with hands. If the batter is too dry, add 1 to 2 tablespoons milk. (See notes)
- Roll into golf ball size balls. Place on a baking sheet and freeze for 20 minutes.
- While balls are freezing, melt the extra dark chocolate on the stove or microwave.
- Remove the protein balls from the freezer and drizzle with melted dark chocolate. Place back in the freezer for another 10 minutes.
- Once the chocolate has set, place balls in a storage container or ziplock bag and store in the freezer or fridge until ready to eat.
Batter Tips – If the batter is not sticking together enough to roll into balls, stir in a few Tablespoons maple syrup or additional sunflower seed butter.
Storage Tips – Store balls in the freezer for up to 3 months
Nutrition Tips – 3 bites is equivalent to a protein bar with 9 to 12 grams of protein and 240 to 250 calories.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Category: snack
- Method: mix
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 85
- Sugar: 7
- Fat: 3 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 11 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 3 to 4g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: protein balls, energy bites, snacks, vegan, plant based, dairy free, nut free, chocolate