Savory chickpea pancakes with harissa yogurt sauce. Healthy, gluten free, grain free, vegetarian!
For the Chickpea Pancakes:
- 1 1/4 cup chickpea flour, also known as garbanzo bean flour (Bob’s Redmill)
- 1 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/4 tsp sea salt and pepper each (to taste)
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil or avocado oil, plus more for the pan
- Optional minced garlic (for the garlic lovers. 1/2 to 1 tsp)
- 1/2 to 1 tsp seasoning of choice (optional).
- Extra Oil for the pan
For the Harissa Yogurt Sauce Topping:
- 5 ounces plain Icelandic Style yogurt or other thick yogurt of choice.
- 2 tbsp Harissa Paste or 1/2 tbsp harissa seasoning
- 1/4 tsp minced garlic
- olive oil to drizzle
- Cracked black pepper and sea salt to sprinkle
- Lemon slices
- Fresh Cilantro to garnish
- Optional – sliced grape tomatoes and peppecorns
To make the chickpea pancakes:
- Mix your chickpea (garbanzo bean) flour, 2 tbsp olive oil, water, and seasonings together in a bowl. Whisk until smooth. It’s best to let it sit for 15-20 minutes at room temperature.
- While the batter is sitting, heat a griddle or pancake pan to medium high and add 1 tbsp oil or butter. While the pan is preheating, prep your yogurt topping.
- In a small bowl, whip together plain yogurt, harissa paste, garlic, and pepper/sea salt. Spoon into serving bowl and garnish with lemon slices, cilantro, and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Set the sauce aside in fridge while you make your pancakes.
- Once the batter is ready and pan is hot/oiled, spoon 1/4 cup of the batter on the hot pan. if you have a large enough pan, you can pour 2-4 pancakes at a time. Batter should spread easily— If it doesn’t, thin with a little water.
- Cook until bottoms are lightly browned and bubbles form on top, about 2-3 minutes. Use a spatula to carefully flip pancakes over and cook until browned and cooked through.
- Place cooked chickpea pancake on large serving plate and repeat until you’ve used up all the batter. Add more oil if needed. The batter should make around 7-8 pancakes.
- Once you’ve cooked all your chickpea pancakes, serve them onto each plate and spoon 2 tbsp of harissa yogurt on top.
- Garnish each plate with fresh cilantro and sliced tomatoes. Optional peppercorn to sprinkle on top and olive oil to drizzle.
- BONUS topping: To make it extra flavorful, add a tbsp of shaved parmesan on each plate.
Batter can be made 1-2 days ahead. Be sure to cover and chill in fridge.
- Category: breakfast
- Method: stove
- Cuisine: European
Keywords: chickpea, pancakes, yogurt, healthy, vegetarian, breakfast, grain free