This chicken shawarma recipe is an easier way to make the traditional rotisserie chicken dinner. Make this nourishing meal in your oven!
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs (4-5 thighs)
- 2 shallots or 1 small red onion, sliced
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic (1 large clove)
- 3/4 Tablespoons cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon pinch of cinnamon
- 3 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne, plus more if desired for spicier flavor
- 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon chili pepper flakes (OPTIONAL)
- Fresh chopped cilantro, divided (2 Tablespoons in marinade and 2 Tablespoons+ to garnish,)
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
Shawarma Sauce (Optional)
- 1/2 cup full fat plain yogurt or see notes for dairy free option
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh herbs (cilantro, parsley, scallion) to garnish
- Add marinade ingredients to a bowl or plastic food storage bag large enough for the chicken to fit into, then whisk to combine. Add chicken to the marinade and refrigerate for at least 90 minutes, or up to 12 hours.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Place marinated chicken on a sheet pan along with onion slices. *Note* For extra flavor, toss onion slices in 1 teaspoon lemon juice or reserved marinade before roasting. (Optional)
- Roast for 22 minutes or until internal temperature reached 165 degrees, broiling for the final minute, if desired. Allow the chicken to rest on the pan for 5 minutes, then slice into thin strips.
- If serving with shawarma sauce, add all sauce ingredients to a bowl and whisk to combine.
- Serve with pickled turnips, cucumber, yogurt sauce, and fresh cilantro. Great with gluten free naan bread.
Dairy Free Yogurt Sauce
- 1/3 cup chilled coconut cream or milk (canned, solid portion)
- 2 Tablespoons non dairy milk
- 1/2 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Add all ingredients to a bowl and whisk to combine. Garnish with fresh herbs of choice.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 22 minutes
- Category: Main
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 248
- Sugar: 2.3 g
- Sodium: 396.3 mg
- Fat: 15.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 5.6 g
- Fiber: 1.2 g
- Protein: 21.9 g
- Cholesterol: 99.9 mg
Keywords: chicken shawarma recipe, shawarma sauce, low carb, unrefined sugar, gluten free