The best vegan taco meat is homemade with mushrooms, cauliflower, and Mexican-inspired flavors. Ready in about 30-minutes. So ‘meaty’ you’ll never guess it’s completely vegan!
- 10–ounces cauliflower floret equal to 1 small head cauliflower (2 cups riced)
- 6–8 ounces cremini mushrooms (1 cup sliced)
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup ground sunflower seeds or hemp seeds, optional (for added “meat” texture)
- Sliced deseeded jalapeños, optional
- 2 Tablespoons hot sauce or chipotle adobo sauce, plus extra for plating
- 1 Tablespoon taco seasoning or spice mix below
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt
- 1/4 teaspoon each pepper
- Rice cauliflower and mushroom in a food processor. Make sure not to over-process. If you have a small food processor or blender, then work in batches. The finished texture should be a similar texture to that of ground meat. Place the mix in a large bowl to the side.
- Prepare the carrots, onion, and sunflower seeds. Add to the bowl with mushroom/cauliflower mixture.
- Mix in finely diced jalapeños if using.
- Toss with seasoning and taco sauce.
- Spread evenly onto a sheet pan and bake at 350F for 15 minutes.
- Toss/flip ingredients and bake an additional 15-17 minutes or until veggie “meat” is browned.
- Now the meat is prepped for the desired recipe.
Omit sunflower seeds if needed but it gives the mix an extra meaty texture.
To store – keep the cooked mixture in a Ziplock back or airtight container for 2 days or until ready to “mix” with the recipe of choice.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 30
- Category: main dish
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: mexican
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 111
- Sugar: 5.1 g
- Sodium: 264.4 mg
- Fat: 5.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 13.7 g
- Fiber: 4.4 g
- Protein: 5.3 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: gluten-free, vegan, vegetarian, vegetables, hidden veggies, meatless, taco, mexican, easy