This blueberry buckle is a fluffy almond flour coffee cake studded with fresh blueberries. The streusel topping gives the cake just a little bit of sweet crunch. It’s perfect for brunch or dessert. Low sugar, low carb, gluten free, and paleo-friendly.
- 1 1/4 c blanched almond flour
- 4 tbsp coconut flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt (kosher salt)
- 1/2 c sugar-free substitute or 2/3 coconut or raw sugar (baking stevia, monk fruit, or works great or xylitol) – See notes
- 1/4 c softened butter or naturally refined coconut oil
- 2 whole eggs at room temp (vegan option: Flaxseed egg 1 tbsp + 2.5 tbsp water) – see notes for egg and vegan egg baking tips
- 4–6 ounces almond milk
- pinch of cinnamon
- 1 1/2 c blueberries
- 2 –3 tbsp butter or oil, chilled and sliced
- 1/3 c almond flour
- 2 tbsp sugar free substitute or coconut sugar (See notes for other sugar free options.)
- 2 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- extra berries
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line an 8×8 brownie/baking pan with parchment paper or grease well with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Sift your almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, and salt together into a bowl.
- Beat 1/4 cup butter (or oil), sugar, and eggs with an electric mixer or stand mixer in a large bowl until smooth. Next, gently pour in the milk and mix/beat again until fluffy.
- Add the almond/coconut flour mixture to the wet ingredients and stir again. Note – When using coconut flour, the batter will be more course and/or thick.
- Finally, fold in the blueberries and spread batter into prepared pan. I like to sprinkle a little cinnamon on top of the batter or mix with blueberries before adding to the batter. This is optional.
- Set pan aside while you make the topping.
- Mix coconut sugar (or raw sugar), 1/3 cup almond flour, cinnamon, and chilled butter (or solid coconut oil) in a bowl and crumble with hands. Spread this on top of batter, then lightly press topping into batter using fingertips.
- Bake in preheated oven until golden on the edges and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 35 minutes. For best results, cover with foil the last 5-10 minutes to prevent burning more than desired. Let cool or place in fridge to chill before slicing.
- Sugar free sugar substitutes – Baking Stevia, Monk Fruit Sweetener, or Xylitol. Just reduce to 1/2 c for main batter. You may use raw sugar, coconut sugar, or brown sugar for this cake, however the sugar content will be higher than what the nutrition label says below (per slice).
- Egg free option/Vegan option – Replace egg with flax egg. Prepare your flax egg by combining your ground flaxseed with water. Allow to sit for 10-15 minutes until a gel/egg-like texture forms. Fold this in with your batter when combining wet/dry ingredients. Baking times will vary. Check at 25-30 minutes for doneness. Let cool and then sit in fridge to set for 10 minutes before slicing.
- For a softer crumble like cake use only one egg, versus two. It will be very soft when slicing, so best to wait and slice once cooled or chilled a bit in the fridge. Equally delicious!
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 slice
Keywords: blueberry buckle, crumb cake, coffee cake, fresh blueberries