- 3–4 cups low sodium GF broth (save a little extra for the end of cooking)
- 8 ounces of lentils
- 1/2 to 1 cup red beans, black eyed peas, or adzuki beans
- 1 cup cooked chicken sausage (chopped)- I used a red pepper and spinach flavor
- Half a cup of diced onion – red or white
- 2 tsp of Your favorite barbecue rub or seasoning. If it has high salt content,reduce amount you use or taste first.
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Half a cup of diced carrots or tomatoes (optional)
- Vegan Option- 6 -8 ounces in diced tempeh, tofu, chickpeas, etc.
- Prepare the lentils according to the package first, replacing the water with broth. I use low-sodium broth due to the salt content i will be adding with the rub. Half way through the cooking process add your spices, chicken sausage, veggies, and BBQ rub.
- Add a little more broth or water if needed and continue to simmer for another 10 minutes or until lentils and veggies are fully cooked. Stir in your molasses for a little sweetness.
- For cooking IN CROCK POT place everything in on high for 3 hrs or low for 4-5 hrs..
- Prep Time: 10 mins