- 3–4 cups low sodium GF broth (save a little extra for the end of cooking)
- Half a 16z bag of lentils
- 1/2 to 1 cup red beans, black eyed peas, or adzuki beans
- 1 cup cooked chicken sausage (chopped)- I used a red pepper and spinach flavor
- Half a cup of diced onion – red or white
- Your favorite barbecue rub or seasoning. I used a bourbon chili spice mix about 2-3 tsps (if it has high salt content,reduce amount you use or taste first.
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Half a cup of diced carrots or tomatoes (optional)
- Vegan Option- Use BBQ tempeh, tofu, [url]Vegan Gluten Free burgers.∞https://www.cottercrunch.com/homemade-vegan-veggie-burgers/[/url] These options might not be gluten free though so read labels.
- Cook your lentils according to the package first. But use the broth instead of water. I use low-sodium broth due to the salt content i will be adding with the rub. Half way through the cooking process add your spices, chicken sausage, veggies, and BBQ rub. Add a little more broth or water if needed and continue to simmer for another 10 minutes or until lentils and veggies are fully cooked. Stir in your molasses for a little sweetness. Serve with broth for a stew or without for a heartier dish or filling. I love topping it with some sort of slaw! You can also throw everything in a crock pot! Super easy. Just start with your lentils and half way through add your spices, meat, etc.
- For cooking IN CROCK POT place everything in on high for 3 hrs or low for 4-5 hrs..