Let’s talk fish. Exciting, yes? Actually, you’ll like where I’m going with this. How about we talk about the NUTRITIONAL BENEFITS of fish for athletes and fitness enthusiasts? Even better!
You see, we love our fish! And it just so happens that we are FUELED by Sizzlefish! Sizzlefish helps the kiwi (aka husband) get in his proper nutrients and omegas after a hard training week or weekend of racing. The kiwi and I are extremely fortunate to personally know this company and what they represent. We’ve met Rob (the owner) at triathlon expos and Sizzlefish also sponsored the cocktail party and Blend retreat this past weekend! How cool is that?!
Anyway, I a digress. I really wanted to share with you all another great fish recipe that I’ve been making and the heath perks for regularly consuming fish.
First up, the recipe.
Mediterranean Baked Cod with Greek Yogurt.
- 2 Cod or Haddock Fillets
- ½ cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tsp parsley, chopped
- Celtic salt (to taste)
- Fresh lemon
- Optional- olives and chopped red bell pepper (3 tbsp)
- Greek Yogurt (plain)- Topping
- Olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar
Preheat oven to 400F.
Arrange fish in a baking dish. Lightly coat with olive oil and then evenly spread seasoning on top of each fillet. I also add a little salt and pepper. Feel free to add and bake your red pepper here if you’d like that option.
Bake fish 20 minutes or 10 minutes per inch of thickness. Remove from oven and squeeze fresh lemon on top. Scoop 1 – 2 tbsp of Greek yogurt and place on top of fish. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and the optional olives. Serves 2
My fellow nutrition specialist (and dear friend) Abby, also wrote a great nutrition article on Sizzlefish blog. Loved it! So much that I asked for her permission to share it here. Goes hand in hand with a great recipe, wouldn’t you agree?
- Muscle Recovery — Fish oil helps to reduce the inflammation caused by exercise, and aid in a quicker recovery. Which means less muscle soreness and more speed!
- Improve Lung Performance — You know that familiar feeling during a run, of having fresh legs, but lacking in the whole breathing department? Fish oil improves blood flow and therefore, oxygen delivery during peak energy intervals.
- Joint Health — As we age it is increasingly important to take care of our joints. Omega-3 fatty acid helps to ease joint stiffness and combat chemicals that destroy cartilage.
- Lose Body Fat — The more in shape you are, the better your athletic performance will be. Fish oil can actually help you lose fat, and even better, it helps to decrease abdominal fat. The DHA found in Omega-3 can also reprogram the genes so that carbohydrates are broken down by the body and not stored as fat.
- Heart Health — Of course most of us know fish oil supports heart health, and a healthy heart is imperative for runners. Research has shown that Omega-3 fatty acids found in fish can decrease the likelihood of cardiovascular disease.
Now run along and eat up!
Marvelous Monday and Omega Lovin!
Congrats to the Kiwi for placing 7th at Eagleman!