Vegan Persimmon and Butternut Squash Soup! A creamy, sweet yet smokey, butternut squash soup recipe with the addition of Persimmon and it’s amazing cancer fighting nutrients! Paleo, Gluten free, dairy free, and super easy to make! This is one immunity boosting delicious soup!
Hello Monday! I am that person who kinda likes Monday. I know, gasp! But it just feels fresh! Monday’s have a feel good start for me.
Okay, since I am talking about feeling good on a Monday, let me say this. …
This soup will make you feel good. And it’s full of nourishment, which lately I’ve been needing to focus more on myself. You know this. Self care, very important yet often overlooked? I’m working on it.
PERSIMMON! Red-brown or orange fruits that grow on trees like plums and look like a tomato! Latin word for “food of the gods.”
I know what you’re thinking.
“Um, Lindsay, what’s so special about a weird sounding fruit?”
Well, there’s a lot! But I’m going to narrow it down to TWO very important things. Because it’s Monday, feeling good also means not overthinking.
- First – Persimmons are packed with phytonutrients, antioxidants, fiber, B Vitamins, and minerals. This little fruit is pretty amazing. Which is why it’s so great for your health and for boosting immunity!
- Second and more SPECIFIC – This fruit is EXTRA SPECIAL this OCTOBER month! You see, Persimmons contain a flavonol (aka an antioxidant) called Fisetin. A new study has shown that fisetin can “induce cell death in breast cancer cells without harming normal breast cells.” You know what that mean? It means that persimmons are one of a few fruits/vegetables that can help kill breast cancer cells. See, I told you persimmon is pretty amazing! source.
I don’t know about you, but just reading how food can really heal and cure warms my heart! Especially since October is BREAST CANCER AWARENESS month. There’s so much we can do to SUPPORT each other and our health!
So, in honor of fighting cancer and all things PINK, I’m going to thrown in some red/orange and brighten up this PINK month even more!
Persimmon combined with the very nutrient dense and anti-inflammatory rich Butternut Squash makes one CANCER FIGHTING POWER COMBO! From now on, this Persimmon Butternut Squash Soup will also be known as “FOOD of the CANCER FIGHTING Gods!” .
A few persimmon picking notes: There are two kinds of persimmon (that I know of). To avoid that bitter taste, pick persimmons that have more a tomato shape and flatter base. These are the FUYU kind and are non-astringent. Best eaten only when very ripe, usually peeled.
Vegan Persimmon Butternut Squash Soup
- 3 medium Fuyu persimmons
- 2 cups chopped Butternut Squash
- 8 oz of vegetable broth
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp roasted nut butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil or coconut oil
- 3 cloves
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger or cinnamon if you prefer more sweet than spice
- dash of pepper
- Optional - toasted nuts and chili sauce for topping
- First steam your squash in steamer or microwave until they are a little tender. About 60-90 seconds in microwave works.
- Next cut off tops from persimmon. Peel each if desired. I left mine on but it's up to you for texture.
- Combine persimmon, squash, and broth in a blender until smooth.
- Transfer to a medium size pot and add in your oil, coconut milk, almond butter, and maple syrup.
- Place on medium low and stir until smooth and everything is mixed thoroughly.
- Then add in your spices, stir, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- About 20 minutes into your simmer, the soup with thicken.
- Once it thickens, place an emersion blender in the pot to make extra creamy and smooth.
- You can also just blend again or mix with spoon repeatedly.
- Taste and see if the seasoning is too your liking. It should be a little sweet but smokey.
- Serve and top with a dash of pepper, chili sauce, and toasted nuts if you'd like.
to make it more cheesy versus smokey, just add in 1-2 tbsp nutritional yeast.
© Cotter Crunch All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use any text or images without prior permission.
Did you make this recipe?
Let me know if you try this recipe! I'd love to see it and share it!" Tag me on IG @cottercrunch
or hashtag #cottecrunch
Are you feeling warm and cozy yet? Good! My Monday goal is accomplished!
Breast Cancer Awareness links to love:
- Cooking for a Cure
- 5 Ways to Support Your Girls from Breast Cancer
- Pretty in Pink Recipe Round Ups ( 1 and 2)
- Pink Ribbon Pretzels
What powerful immunity boosting foods are you adding to your diet this month?