Vegan Persimmon and Butternut Squash Soup! A creamy, sweet yet smokey, butternut squash soup recipe with the addition of Persimmon and it’s amazing cancer fighting nutrients! Paleo, Gluten free, dairy free, and super easy to make! This is one immunity boosting delicious soup!
Hello Monday! I am that person who kinda likes Monday. I know, gasp! But it just feels fresh! Monday’s have a feel good start for me.
Okay, since I am talking about feeling good on a Monday, let me say this. …
This soup will make you feel good. And it’s full of nourishment, which lately I’ve been needing to focus more on myself. You know this. Self care, very important yet often overlooked? I’m working on it.
PERSIMMON! Red-brown or orange fruits that grow on trees like plums and look like a tomato! Latin word for “food of the gods.”
I know what you’re thinking.
“Um, Lindsay, what’s so special about a weird sounding fruit?”
Well, there’s a lot! But I’m going to narrow it down to TWO very important things. Because it’s Monday, feeling good also means not overthinking.
- First – Persimmons are packed with phytonutrients, antioxidants, fiber, B Vitamins, and minerals. This little fruit is pretty amazing. Which is why it’s so great for your health and for boosting immunity!
- Second and more SPECIFIC – This fruit is EXTRA SPECIAL this OCTOBER month! You see, Persimmons contain a flavonol (aka an antioxidant) called Fisetin. A new study has shown that fisetin can “induce cell death in breast cancer cells without harming normal breast cells.” You know what that mean? It means that persimmons are one of a few fruits/vegetables that can help kill breast cancer cells. See, I told you persimmon is pretty amazing! source.
I don’t know about you, but just reading how food can really heal and cure warms my heart! Especially since October is BREAST CANCER AWARENESS month. There’s so much we can do to SUPPORT each other and our health!
So, in honor of fighting cancer and all things PINK, I’m going to thrown in some red/orange and brighten up this PINK month even more!
Persimmon combined with the very nutrient dense and anti-inflammatory rich Butternut Squash makes one CANCER FIGHTING POWER COMBO! From now on, this Persimmon Butternut Squash Soup will also be known as “FOOD of the CANCER FIGHTING Gods!” .
A few persimmon picking notes: There are two kinds of persimmon (that I know of). To avoid that bitter taste, pick persimmons that have more a tomato shape and flatter base. These are the FUYU kind and are non-astringent. Best eaten only when very ripe, usually peeled.
Are you feeling warm and cozy yet? Good! My Monday goal is accomplished!
Breast Cancer Awareness links to love:
- Cooking for a Cure
- 5 Ways to Support Your Girls from Breast Cancer
- Pretty in Pink Recipe Round Ups ( 1 and 2)
- Pink Ribbon Pretzels
What powerful immunity boosting foods are you adding to your diet this month?
- Facebook ! Click here Cotter Crunch FB
- Instagram –LCCotter
- Pinterest– LCCotter
- Email- [email protected]
- Bloglovin-Cotter Crunch