I’ve been a personal trainer since 2004. Wow, has it been 10 years already? I guess so. So much has come and gone with fitness trends since then. And I’ll be the first to admit, I have probably tried all of them, just for kicks. Heck, I’ve even been put through a body building program before, and I liked it!
But times have changed (for me at least) and I no longer have time to spend hours in the gym trying new workouts, teaching 5 million types of classes, etc. Nope. I have one hour, maybe less. And you know what? It’s done my body good. Less is more.
Which leads me to next point.
CHEST, BACK, CORE, LEGS —> Why I Focus more on BIG Muscle Groups in a Workout or Class.
This is just my preference because I’m not training for a body building/fitness competition or even for an endurance sport. Don’t get me wrong, I think those all are great sports and fitness endeavors. But me? Well.. I’m just trying to get in a full body workout and maintain strength/balance.
Okay, so let me explain my WHY reasons. Ready?
1. Big Muscle groups work a lot of small muscle groups without even knowing it –> for instance. Squats, they take a lot of core work too. And if you hold a med ball out in front, you’ll target those biceps!
2. Big Muscle groups get your HR up, which can combine strength and cardio! Hello, have you ever done a GI Janes or Burpee with a squat hop? Chest, core, legs, and plyometric cardio all in one!
3. And last but not least, Big Muscle Groups are time savers! You can work thos muscles fast to fatigue, then BAM you’re done. You’ve gotten in a full body workout in less than an hour. That’s what I’m all about, efficiency.
I know many love back and bi days, or chest and tri days, but when I’m in a Cotter Crunch (see what i did there? Punny), my BIG muscle groups are my go to!
What do you think? Are you a big muscle group lover or do you like to break it up?
- Instagram -LCCotter
- Pinterest- LCCotter
- Email- firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bloglovin-Cotter Crunch
- Feed burner -Subscribe Here
- Crazy Cotters (both our blogs combined) Facebook page.
Fitness will always be part of Cotter Crunch, but not the focus. I hope to continue a fitness tip or workout at least once or twice a month. My real vision for this blog going forward is on gluten free recipes and good nutrition/fuel, with a side of Healthy Bites of course.