Super easy and delicious Tomato Egg Onion Penne with buckwheat pasta. Buckwheat is not really wheat, but a seed. It’s a great gluten free substitute for your regular pasta and doesn’t turn to mush like the other corn or rice pasta. Okay, I’ll explain more below. Keep reading!
Oh carbs, it’s such a confusing topic, no? But I will say this. We enjoy carbs! Gluten free of course. And depending on the amount of training or what the body needs, we shift the amount of carbs eat, the type we eat (grain free and pseudograins that are gluten free), and when we eat them. I don’t believe in a diet plan, but more “feedback” from the adrenals and the body. This is especially true when my husband is doing high volume or high intensity training. Um, which is now.
So here we are. Needing to feed the adrenals. Trying to not eat too much grain but also needing more than normal. Hence the buckwheat. Gosh i love buckwheat. It’s the best kind of pseudograins if you ask me. Probably because it’s not really a grain, but a seed, from the rhubarb plant. For those with healthy hormones and guts, buckwheat is well tolerated, especially if it’s soaked or fermented. Buckwheat also contain significant amounts of protein and a significant levels of other nutrients (especially B vitamins and iron).
One last tip and trick for this super easy and healthy dish —> USE EGG YOLK vs cheese if you can’t handle dairy! Yes, that’s how we add in more good fats and Choline without the dairy. Hard boiled or soft boiled egg crumbled on top melts into the tomato pasta and makes it creamy. Shhh… don’t share my trick. It’s a Sherpa Wife move, for sure! Note: I found the Penne Pasta at Safeway but you can also buy spirals here.
- 10oz bag of buckwheat penne pasta
- 6oz tomato paste
- ⅓ cup diced white onion
- ¼ cup finely diced red onion
- ¼ cup diced pepper or celery works too
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 hard boiled egg yolks
- ½ tsp minced garlic
- ¼ tsp each of sea salt and black pepper
- ½ tsp paprika or chili pepper
- 1 tsp dried basil
- optional add ins- sausage, chicken, shrimp, tofu. All work great.
- First sauté your onions and peppers (or celery) in 1 tbsp olive oil with garlic. Once they are almost cooked, set aside. Then boil you penne pasta, drain, and add in the rest of your olive oil. Mix well. Crack an egg into the pasta and mix. Then add in your tomato paste, seasonings, and the rest of your onion/pepper/garlic mix. Stir until egg yolk in cooked through. Feel free to add in sausage or a protein here too! It's great with venison meat.
- Serve our pasta and crumble hard boiled egg on top with any extra chili pepper or red onion.
Alright, bottom line, buckwheat is great to experiment with for active kids, athletes, etc. So are carbs! Oh for the love of carbs!
Interested in learning more about gluten free grains? I’ve posted a lot on my Gut Health and Nutrition Pinterest board. Take a look!
That being said, go make this for your Valentine, but maybe go easy on the onions, right? LOL!
Favorite Gluten free pasta? Happy LOVE weekend!
- Facebook i’m finally on it as Cotter Crunch! Click here Cotter Crunch FB
- Instagram -LCCotter
- Pinterest- LCCotter
- Email- email@example.com
- Bloglovin-Cotter Crunch