Are you ready for another Super Bowl recipe?! Just kidding! I’m sure you’ve got every recipe planned by now. I married a man who doesn’t watch football (gasp!). Our sports watching consists of cycling, sailing, rugby, triathlon, and swimming (gotta love foreigners and their favorite sports!). But I did grow up with three brothers who were all huge Dallas Cowboys fans, so I feel like I put in my dues already with the sport. Am I right?!
Okay Okay, let’s talk snacking and food. What are you bring to your Super Bowl party? Or are you hosting? Either way, I think it’s great to bring at least one healthy dish or something to even out the cheese and chocolate consumption. Or at least something some what healthy to slather the cheese, dip, and chocolate with!
I am usually the one in charge of salads and veggie trays because I’m the “nutritionist” in the family. Typical, right? But surprisingly, all the veggies usually get eaten, along with the ranch (buttermilk that is)! But this year I am contributing another snacky bread/bar item that will pair well with Chili and are kid friendly! And yes, it will include buttermilk.. minus the ranch.
Buttermilk Squares (bars). I made these a while back for a Love Grown Foods Recipe contest and could not stop eating them with soups, chili, you name it! Lightly sweetened yet still buttery. It reminded me of my grandma’s sweet jiffy cornbread in a way.
- · 1 ½ cup honey Power O's cereal (or you can use ½ cup of brown rice or chickpea flour)
- · 1-2 tbsp chopped basil
- · dash of sea salt
- · 2 tsp baking soda
- · ⅔ cup buttermilk pancake mix (we used Flapjacked)
- · 2 tbsp honey
- · ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- · 6-8oz cup almond, coconut milk, or buttermilk
- · If you are not using Flapjacked mix, then I would add in 1 egg or 3 egg whites (whisked) to make it more fluffy!
- First, grind up your cereal to make a flour. You can use any oat, bean, rice, or corn based cerael to make the flour. We love using Lovegrown Foods power O's. Then mix all your dry ingredients first, then fold in your eggs (if you are using them) and milk. Whisk until smooth. Add in your honey and stir again. Pour into a small square brownie pan or bread pan and bake at 350F for 35 minutes or so. (I used a really small casserole dish)
- Remove from oven at let cool. Then drizzle with more honey and basil leaves.
- Makes about 6 squares.
The good thing is that these bars are UBER easy to make for anytime of year and are great with any meal. Want one for breakfast? Here ya go, take one!
Well.. I’m off to decide who to route for. Because I have no clue, and I’m pretty sure I’ll just watch the commercials. Who you routin’ for?
Favorite way to use buttermilk? Do tell! I’m all about it these days.
Cheers and have a wonderful relaxing weekend!