Super EASY gluten free lemon lime coconut vegan cake topped with fluffy whipped coconut cream frosting. An allergy friendly vegan cake that’s perfect for Spring/Summer. So simple to make! All you need are a few REAL FOOD ingredients and 45 minutes to bake.
PRAISE THE LORD IT’S FRIDAY! And yes, Friday means we cakewalk into the weekend. Let’s make it a gluten free vegan cake… errr cakewalk to get bonus Friday points. Mmm k?
But in all seriousness ya’ll, this week has been FULL. In a good FACE YOUR FEAR kind of way. And I am certain that I deserve a piece of gluten free lemon lime vegan cake. Don’t worry, I have A TON and want to share with you. So come, gather around my table, bring the coffee (and Kahlua), and let’s get our weekend cake celebration on.
First, we gotta make the icing. It’s similar frosting to this classic paleo/vegan cake recipe, but this one is coconut version. If we are lucky and have a little leftover we can put in our coffee.
It really is so simple and all you need it a can COLD coconut cream. Extra sugar if you’d like. Then Whip it, whip good!
See what I did there. Haha!
Next comes this SUPER EASY 3 step approach to making this vegan cake. I’m really into 3 step recipes these days, can’t you tell? We’re all busy, we need simplicity. I get it.
Moving on. Cake… the ingredients.
Gluten Free Flour Mix. I used Bob’s Red Mill’s Gluten Free 1:1 Ratio because it ROCKS! Then we just need a little lemon, a little lime, coconut, agave nectar (or honey), melted coconut oil, and baking soda.
The key to making this vegan cake so AMAZING is in fact that Lemon Lime combo.
Yep, that’s the whole trick to making it FLUFFY without an egg. An acid-base reaction WONDERS y’all! In luckily, for us, lemon lime is the best naturally acidic ingredient you can use. Am I right?
The science/nutrition geek in me just has way too much fun making it. Really. My mission is to not only create a super simple, healthy, gluten free vegan cake, but also to make it FUN! Hence the why the kaluha is also recommended on the side. Okay not for kids, but maybe for the grown ups.
Back to the cake. Sheesh, I Friday Brain here.
Not only is this gluten free lemon lime vegan coconut cake a much healthier and guilt-free version, but it’s nut free (in honor of allergy awareness week). Yes, it is! And easy to make with only a few steps as mentioned above. But I promise it’s also delish. Which leads me to the recipe. We don’t want our coffee to feel all lonesome, right?
Gluten Free Lemon Lime Coconut Vegan Cake with Whipped Coconut Cream Frosting
For the CAKE
- 1 2/3 cup gluten free flour mix (I used Bob Redmills 1:1)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp lime juice
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut (unsweetened)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup xylitol baking sugar (for less sugar content) or cane sugar works too
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 to 1 tsp lemon extract (depends on how strong you want it)
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
For the frosting
- 1 can coconut cream (cream NOT milk)
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1 tsp vanilla
- optional sweetness powdered sugar (1/4 cup)
- 1/2 tbsp lime zest
- SPECIAL NOTE - > Before you bake the cake and if you are making coconut frosting with this, first place it in back of fridge for 24 hrs.
- preheat oven to 350. Grease a cake pan or 8x8 baking dish.
- Mix all your dry ingredients together in a bowl (the baking soda, flour, sugar, salt).
- In another bowl, mix your water, agave nectar, coconut oil, lime juice, and extracts.
- Combine your wet to your dry ingredients and SLOWLY mix. Fold in your shredded coconut. DO NOT OVERMIX.
- Gently Pour this in your greased pan
- Bake 350F for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove and let cool.
- Make sure your coconut cream can (10oz) is chilled 24 hrs and you have coconut cream not milk.
- Once chilled pour the hardened cream mixture into a bowl.
- Add your sugar and vanilla beat until fluffy and smooth.
- Mix in your coconut last.
- Keep cool until ready to top on your cake.
- Super easy!
- Frost your cooled cake and add Lime Zest on top if desired.
See this recipe for Paleo option.
© Cotter Crunch All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use any text or images without prior permission.
Did you make this recipe?
Let me know if you try this recipe! I'd love to see it and share it!" Tag me on IG @cottercrunch
or hashtag #cottecrunch
Nutrition with XYLITOL versus Cane sugar
I really have no other words except the fact that you need this in your life. And it will take all of 45 minutes or less to make. Yes, for a gluten free vegan cake.
Tools to make this SUPER EASY Lemon Lime Coconut Cake (V/GF)
Don’t worry, I saved you a piece. 😉
Cheers to the weekend! I am actually heading to CALI for a conference at the Culinary Institute. Should be quite fun and BUSY! Follow the behind the scenes on snapchat if you want! I’m @LCCotter (Cottercrunch). Mmm k? Snappy Snappy!
What’s your favorite springtime or summer cake? Coconut for me, hands down!
Anyone else have a favorite vegan cake recipe. I always need more. Share.. Pretty please.
This post does contain some affiliate links. But I truly love these products, you know this. <3