A few weeks ago I wrote a guest post on Jill’s blog about my go-to “bonus” supplements for gut health. These are supplements that are extra nourishing to me for maintaining gut health, my gut health. Do I need them daily? Probably not, but I do enjoy rotating them in my diet and the kiwi’s diet.
Note: I’m not a physician, these supplements are just what worked for me and I’m happy to share about them in my gluten free and gut health journey.
Gelatin (organic and grass fed) or Bone Broth –contains collagen and amino acids proline and glycine that can help heal damaged cell walls in your gut lining. Also improves digestion. Source I always forget to make bone broth. I have the ingredients, but it always slips my mind. That’s why I use Great Lakes gelatin instead, it’s my favorite brand and has the same benefits of bone broth (helps heal leaky gut, fight food sensitivities, boost immunity, etc.) They have a few different kinds, including one that dissolves versus gelatinizes in liquid.
Quercetin—“Quercetin has also been shown to enhance gut barrier function by having a “sealing” effect due to its role in the assembly and expression of tight junction proteins.” This information is a word by word quote straight from the source itself. Chris Kresser and Kelsey Marksteiner (Great resources that I highly trust!). Quercetin is found in a lot of FODMAP fruits and vegetables such as onion and apples. If you are on low FODMAP diet, these foods can cause problems. But taking a quercetin supplement might be a better option. In fact, even certain EMERGEN-C packets have quercetin added to them. I usually opt for the supplement since I don’t eat a lot of fruit or onions.
Or I make a recipe that combines all my favorite gut healing supplements into one!
A GOOD GUT J-E-L-L-O!
Raspberry Probiotic Gelatin
- 1 CUP KOMBUCHA (ANY FLAVOR OR HOMEMADE)
- 2 PACKETS EMERGEN-C RASPBERRY OR OTHER QUERCETIN/NUTRITIONAL SUPPLEMENT OF CHOICE
- 1-2 CUPS PURIFIED WATER. THE MORE WATER, THE MORE JIGGLY IF THAT MAKES SENSE? LESS IS MORE JELLY LIKE AND THICK.
- 1/2 TBSP LEMON STEVIA EXTRACT OR 1 TBSP STEVIA FOR EXTRA SWEETNESS (OPTIONAL)
- 2-3 TBSP GREAT LAKES GELATIN
- Add 1 cup kombucha to small saucepan and add in your. Sprinkle gelatin over kombucha in pan and stir.
- Bring the pan to a low heat and stir until gelatin dissolves. I stir for about 3-5 minutes. Be sure not to overheat otherwise you will kill the good bacteria in the kombucha.
- Pour heated mixture into bowl with the other cups water and add your emergenc and/or stevia. Stir again. Pour mix into a square container and place in fridge for at least 4 hours.
- Cut into squares or shapes and serve.
- Note: 2 tablespoons will leave it more soft, 3 tbsp a little more dense.
© Cotter Crunch All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use any text or images without prior permission.
Did you make this recipe?
Let me know if you try this recipe! I'd love to see it and share it!" Tag me on IG @cottercrunch
or hashtag #cottercrunch
Want more gelatin recipes? Check out this collection by Paleo Parents and marshmallow gelatin recipe by Purely Twins
So, why do we need to treat our gut differently? Why does it need so much TLC? Well, I think Hippocrates said it right when he wrote,
“All Diseases Begin (and End) in the Gut.”
Oh, now that’s a BOLD statement. But it’s true. If the gut is not working right, then other parts of the mind and body can begin to break down, and vice versa!
I tend to think that sometimes our “humanness” can get in the way proper gut health. Sometimes we over train, other times we sit all day. And sometimes we freak out, stress about everything, and literally deplete ourselves and our adrenals.
And sometimes, our humanness has no control over our situations, like being exposed to toxins, parasites (my situation), etc. Yes, unfortunately, we live in a world that is not perfect. This is why we need to continue to NURTURE that gut. For me, true healing began when I realized I needed to focus on those core EXTRA’s (less stress and more nourishment included).
What EXTRA’s are you doing for your health?
Cheers and Have a Marvelous Monday!
I’ve got another immunity boosting post Emergen-C recipe to share after the kiwi’s next race. So stay tuned!