Gluten Free Breakfast Power Bowls! Real energy from real food! These vegan gluten free breakfast power bowls are made with soaked quinoa and chia seed. The proper preparation for these antioxidant rich bowls can help POWER you through the day! Oh and they are SUPER delicious.
So let’s talk about breakfast here for a minute. I must confess, my breakfasts have been grab and go, unless it’s the weekend. And when I say grab and go, I mean a banana and nut butter. The kiwi will do the same before an early morning swim. But here’s the thing, I fully BELIEVE in a second REAL breakfast. The first one doesn’t really count, does it? It’s just breakSNACK? haha.
This is where my POWER bowl obsession comes in. It’s great for post workout, late breakfast, or for when you actually have time to eat a real breakfast first thing.
The trick is to make this bowl the night before, here’s why.
- You want to soak the quinoa and the chia seed –> helps break down the phytic acid (in seeds and grains) so you can digest it better and absorb nutrients.
- Adding a bit of vanilla extra, honey, and coconut milk to the chia and quinoa will give it more sweet flavor without the extra sugar.
- Adding some acidic medium water/juice like dash of lemon juice or juice from the fruit will continue to help break down the phytates (think of phytates as anti-nutrients)
- Texture! Soaking it will give you more of a porridge/pudding like bowl. Which is of course fun to eat!
- Fiber, another reason why i eat this post workout (not before) or on a regular non workout day when I can eat a hearty bowl for breakfast first thing. It keeps you full along with the healthy fats.
- Overnight oats are popular, but why not switch out the oats for quinoa ever so often. They are a “pseudo” grain and have more complete amino acid break down.
Is that enough reason for you? So yes, let’s POWER through the rest of this post and jump to the recipe, shall we?
Well folks, that’s all I have for now. I’ve got to run and pack for New Zealand! Did I tell you that I was leaving this week? Hence the need to power through this week. Gah, can’t wait!
Do you have a favorite breakfast bowl? Do share! I love more ideas!