So, ever wonder how I happened to start this little blog? Well, back in the day, I used to post recipes on the hubs’ blog. I’d share what I was feeding him for training, taper, etc. This was before Healthy Bites took over my life and I was a newly wed. Meaning, I adored making meals from scratch each night. Haha. Not so much anymore. Now, don’t get me wrong, I still LOVE to make meals from scratch, but don’t have nearly as much time. I still cook almost every night but let’s just say the minute brown rice with eggs, salsa, and chicken sausage have been showing up more than usual.
This recipe I made back in 2008. Man, I really should make it again. It was delicious! you can find the original blog post here. Glad I learned how to take better pictures since then, well kinda. haha.
Salmon Black Bean Enchiladas
- 1. 6-8 oz. of grounded salmon .
- 2. 3-4 medium white corn tortillas
- 3. 1 can jalapeno or regular refried BLACK beans (low-fat).
- 4. 1 small can of jalapeno diced tomatoes
- 5. ½ cup mozzarella or pepper jack cheese. Vegan option: DAIYA
- 6. 2-3 shakes of Cumin
- 7. 1 wedge of laughing cow cheese (light)- Optional
- 8. Salsa to taste
- For those wanting extra carbs, add in some pre-cooked brown or spanish rice. I had some extra Santa Fe brown rice blend which I placed under the cheese before baking it in the oven.
- Spray a baking dish with oil. Take each corn tortilla a lightly pat on butter or olive oil. Go ahead a cook salmon burger meat so that they are fully down but not well-done. In the meantime heat beans in microwave or stove top and mix in laughing cow cheese, cumin, and tomatoes. Make sure the cheese is all melted but it's not too hot yet. Then place black mixture and salmon meat together in one bowl. Transfer heaping portions into each corn tortilla and roll tightly. Line each tortilla up in the baking dish. Cover the top of the tortillas with more tomatoes and salsa, then add the cheese on top to cover the tortillas evenly. I baked this for about 15-20 minutes on 350 degrees but it depends on how melted you like your cheese. You can also broil it for the last 3-5 minutes or so to get it even more browned. All together this should only take 30 minutes max. I heated mostly everything in the microwave and used leftover salmon burger patties so it was cake!
Now, wish me luck.. I mean wish us luck. We trying to move this weekend and housesit and celebrate father’s day. Uh? Who planned that? Crazy Cotters!
Off to go find where I stored all our stuff before our New Zealand trip. Sheesh!
What’s your favorite flashback recipe?