What’s not to love about this Avocado Tomato Gouda Socca Pizza recipe? A grain free, gluten free Avocado Tomato Gouda Socca Pizza made with chickpea flour and topped with Avocado, Gouda, Tomato, and Sprouted Greens! Seriously easy to make, egg free, vegan option, OMG delicious!
I’m convinced I’m only 5% American. Let me rephrase that. My taste in food, way of cooking, and eating all the meals (sooo slowly) is only only 5% American. Ya, that 5% is purely for sipping on California or Washington wine and any form of Alaskan Salmon. The other 95% is made up of a mush pot of cultural food and cuisine. Hence the Indian cabbage salad on Monday and now this Socca pizza. Another non American recipe that I’ve kinda sorta Americanized. But here’s the thing, I grew up traveling and living abroad starting at the age of 12. You know what I realized (realized now)? So much of true ethnic food is NATURALLY healthy, made with real food, seasoned to perfection with amazing spices/herbs, and very much gluten free friendly. This makes the nutrition nerd in me happy and the gluten free specialist in me even HAPPIER! Happiness calls for celebration. Celebration involves food and a party (big or small).
To get this party started, I’m going first BOAST about this dish and the ingredients you need to make it. I mean, it’s super easy and fast and delicious. Totally the “star” of the party. Might as well stroke it’s ego even more. Right? Sure. Just go with it.
Oh SOCCA.. I’ve missed you, it’s time to bring you back in the spot light in the form of PIZZA!
What is Socca ya say? Well, Socca (the French name) or Farinata (the Italian name) is basically chickpea flatbread. AND it’s AMAZING! No eggs needed. Just water, olive oil, herbs , and chickpea flour. Mix, let batter sit, then bake in a pan. Kinda like a pancake in the oven. My friends Purely Twins got me hooked on Socca bread about 6 years ago. We go way back in blogging! Ever since then, I’ve been using Chickpea (Garbanzo bean) flour in a lot more ways. It’s vegan friendly, grain free, and so versatile. Socca bread, Socca pizza, Socca pancakes, it’s all so good and easy to make.
I opted for the pizza bread version, in the form of Avocado Tomato Gouda Socca Pizza pizza, because I really wanted to try out Gouda and Avocado together. Like melted together. Gouda, cheese from the Netherlands (cultural point on fleek!). Melts like gold and so GOOD! Side note: Did you know the higher the fat and aged cheese, the lower the lactose? Yes, that’s why I love me so AGED Gouda or goat’s milk Gouda. Easier on digestion. You’re welcome!
Back to my point here. The Socca STAR and the Cultural Food Pizza Party. You’re invited! Here’s the VIP list.
- Socca Pizza Crust – France (or Italy if you call Farinata)
- Avocado – South Central Mexico
- Gouda- Netherlands
- Roma Tomato – Italia!
- Sprouts/ Microgreens – Um… let’s say earth?
- Green Onion/Scallion – Greek or Europeanish?
- Garlic – According to wikipedia it originated between the Mediterranean and China.
- Olive Oil – Mediterranean
Pretty sure I just upped my Corniness factor with this post, but that’s okay, as long as you are laughing. Oh, and by the way, I made this pizza for a my husband and a few friends a few weeks ago. The fact that there was no meat or and it wasn’t made with real pizza “dough” made them bit skeptical at first. But I happy to report that I made each of them a socca pizza convert, fresh tomato, herbs, and all. Extra crispy style! Phew! Cause I was holding my breath on that one.
Estimated Nutrition for a Servings of 2 people
If you could Americanize any cultural dish, what would you make? Ever tried Socca? GET ON IT!