3 Cross Training Workouts & Allowing Mental Breaks

by lindsay cotter on February 10, 2014

If there’s two things that really gets on people’s nerves, it’s bad weather and not being in control. So I can only assume a lot of us have been feeling a little annoyed the past few weeks. Yes?
We might be stuck inside, training schedules and family routine go out the window, and we’ve had to ” adjust.”

IMG_0739

trainer

And if you’re like me, you’ve also been a little more connected to social media due to being cooped up. Let me tell you, that was not my wisest decision. I’ve come to realize that the more we complain (via internet or anywhere), the more we feed the WORRY addiction and stop living life. –> GUILTY (me).

joy

Maybe the cold freezes our brain cells. Actually wait, I take that back. Maybe cold air puts our brain cells into overdrive, causing us to OVER think and OVER exaggerate…. okay that’s just a woman for ya. Ha!

So instead of feeling cooped up in my own thoughts, I just decided to take a mental break.

I took the week off from running. Was I supposed to? Yes. In fact, the relay training started this week. But so did the ice, the cold weather, and more things added to my plate. Usually running is a great way to relieve stress, but personally, I didn’t want to abuse it. I also knew my mind and body needed the break from feeling like I “had to” run a certain amount each week.

yoga

I focused on cross training. It felt good. I even joined a few training sessions with my co-workers. More burpees anyone?

photo 2

bike

Cross training

My other Mental breaks came in the form of—–>

A family night. Gosh, I didn’t realize how badly I just needed to laugh at these kids.

photo 3

A little more kitchen time. Baking and multiple Taco nights cures all? Speaking of tacos and Mexican food, check out Heather’s MMAZ this week for some great queso recipes. I will be trying some those for sure.

chia bread

image

And finally, I spent more time here. Enough said. Amen!

bible

Mental break + Media break = Mental Clarity and a Marvelous Monday.

thehealthydiva_thumb.jpg

Do you allow yourself Mental breaks? Hope so!

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats February 10, 2014 at 5:18 am

I always feel better when I’ve taken a break from Social media / internet in general and as a general rule try and stop using it at 10pm, it used to be 9pm but then it crept up to 10pm, oops!

I love your attitude to the weather. I can’t complain too much as the weather here in Melbourne has been sunny although it hasn’t been good weather to run outside (ok so one complaint) but I’ve still just been hitting the good old gym instead.

LCCotter February 10, 2014 at 9:38 pm

I need to follow your rule! Maybe 9:30? Haha

Amy @ The Little Honey Bee February 10, 2014 at 5:21 am

Such a good reminder. Thanks friend

LCCotter February 10, 2014 at 9:42 pm

❤️❤️ daily reminders

Jill @ Fitness, Health and Happiness February 10, 2014 at 5:49 am

I not only allow for mental breaks I have started requiring it! It’s hard to turn it all off but when I do I come back feeling refreshed and rejuvenated! Winter and control? That’s why I require mental breaks :)

LCCotter February 10, 2014 at 9:38 pm

Amen to that friend

Jessie February 10, 2014 at 5:58 am

That little girl in the above photo (neice maybe?) is adorable!! She looks like one bad & fiesty karata chick :) lol

LCCotter February 10, 2014 at 9:42 pm

My niece! She’s such a fireball hehe

Lucie@FitSwissChick February 10, 2014 at 6:01 am

Taking a break from Social Media is so good sometimes. And I love Cross Training too! Forced runs are the worst, I always feel like my body is refusing to move.

LCCotter February 10, 2014 at 9:39 pm

Yes!! So how I felt

Tara Newman February 10, 2014 at 6:09 am

Had some similar thoughts :-) I will give you an amen!

misszippy February 10, 2014 at 6:51 am

You are in tune enough to pick up on your need for a break–well done! And I love the break you took. Thanks for the workout ideas!

LCCotter February 10, 2014 at 9:41 pm

I know you understand breaks.

Tina Muir February 10, 2014 at 6:55 am

Thats great Lindsay! As they say; variety is the spice of life! It is good you listened to those inner thoughts and went for something else instead. Sometimes I wish I could do that, but I am just too much of a control freak with my running (and I have cross trained my life away in the past with injuries).

I love how you said baking helped. My parents said to me a few weeks ago that maybe I should back off on the baking and blogging while I am so busy, and just make simple/frozen meals…..NO! That is the fun in my life, and the baking is where I am at my happiest and feel relaxed after!

I am trying to work on mental breaks….but never have been very good at them…..you would think I would be so exhausted from training that it would be easy….noooope!

LCCotter February 10, 2014 at 9:40 pm

As an athlete you have that drive, but it’s always hard to accept rest and release control. A constant balance game but oh how we need that rest and mental break for growth

Carla February 10, 2014 at 7:08 am

HELLS YES to the laughter with the littles being the best break ever.

LCCotter February 10, 2014 at 7:21 am

best medicine ever

Laura @ RunningJunkie February 10, 2014 at 7:22 am

I have recently been thinking that I need to take a step back from social media (really just FB) and be a bit more present in other things I am doing.

I really like that “No Gym, No Problem” workout! I may do that this weekend, but take out the cardio because it will be after my run.

LCCotter February 10, 2014 at 9:41 pm

Let me know of you give it a go Laura!

Renee February 10, 2014 at 7:33 am

I usually need a smart phone break and I love a great yoga practice to center. And food is always great for the soul. Great tips!

LCCotter February 10, 2014 at 9:41 pm

Oh me too!! Yoga cures all

Liz @ I Heart Vegetables February 10, 2014 at 7:39 am

You are SO right that being cooped up is a recipe for mental crazies! And good for you for taking time off from running when you needed it :)

Katie February 10, 2014 at 7:56 am

Of course! Mental break… Getting out to get fresh air (Even if I have to bundle up like a snowman!) OR getting coffee with a friend. & sometimes it’s just a nap :)

LCCotter February 10, 2014 at 9:30 pm

You two are brave and so adorable he he

Linz @ Itz Linz February 10, 2014 at 8:10 am

mental breaks are SO important!! and family always helps – especially being around the littles! :) :)

Laura@ Fit Running Mama February 10, 2014 at 8:28 am

I always feel SOO Much better after time in my kitchen! Food prep makes me feel soo good! Fresh air has been an issue here this winter since it’s freezing and there seems to be endless amounts of snow!

LCCotter February 10, 2014 at 9:31 pm

So crazy but maybe you can food prep for weeks now? Haha

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List February 10, 2014 at 8:43 am

SO over the cold and snow but we’re supposed to get 12 inches tomorrow!! I’m trying my best to embrace (and cooking and nesting A LOT!)

LCCotter February 10, 2014 at 9:29 pm

Nest Away mama!!!

She Rocks Fitness February 10, 2014 at 8:54 am

You and your burpee workouts make me sick! Cheers to mental breaks, taking time away from social media, and resting! :) Have a great week Crazy Cotter and chat soon…XOXO

LCCotter February 10, 2014 at 9:31 pm

You love my burpees haha

Heather (Where's the Beach) February 10, 2014 at 9:04 am

It is SO hard when the weather throws a major wrench in your well-laid plans. You absolutely can’t control that at all. Happened to me this weekend. I think stepping back from social media can be so good for the soul. I have noticed lately so much complaining and it’s tiresome.

Krysten Siba Bishop (@darwinianfail) February 10, 2014 at 9:08 am

This weather is DRIVING ME NUTS!! I am so ready for spring/ I am trying to make peace with hitting the gym and toughing it out in the yucky conditions. UGH!

LCCotter February 10, 2014 at 9:31 pm

I agree! You are tough running in all that snow!!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) February 10, 2014 at 9:20 am

YES, YES, YES!!! I am tired of other people complaining about the weather. No, it’s not good and well, I won’t be working much this week if Atlanta gets hit with ice we are expected to get, but really, I think we all just need to enjoy the moment we are in and make the best of it. It’s not perfect, but adapting is the name of the game, ya know? I hope you have a great week my friend! xoxo

jobo February 10, 2014 at 4:16 pm

What Sarena said ;-) Totally with you on this – while I am hating this winter snow and storm storm storm, it is a good reason to step back, adjust and not stress the schedule, the workouts etc, go with the flow more and what fits, fits, what doesn’t doesn’t. I am finally okay with that and it feels amazingly freeing!

LCCotter February 10, 2014 at 9:17 pm

It makes us realize we can adjust and enjoy. The small things.

LCCotter February 10, 2014 at 9:28 pm

I agree! Bake more. Cuddle up. Just be happy we are with loved ones and warm

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun February 10, 2014 at 9:21 am

Such a great great reminder! Thank you for sharing! Sometimes you just need to step back and enjoy what is around you. I hear you about the weather – it WON’T STOP SNOWING HERE!! I just want to be able to be outdoors without freezing again!

LCCotter February 10, 2014 at 9:26 pm

Me too! Texas is norm my not like this. But we must remember we can adjust. It’s temporary

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table February 10, 2014 at 9:27 am

I have to go to VA this week for work and the no gym workout will be perfect. Pinned! I need to warm up in the flippin’ snow that’s coming back. Oy.

LCCotter February 10, 2014 at 9:28 pm

Just come to Austin instead!!!!!!

Jody - Fit at 56 February 10, 2014 at 9:28 am

We all need to break from this at times – more then not – my hubby is not a fan of all my social media so the weekends are less time on for me to make sure all goes smooth at home & honestly, it is a nice break.

I wrote this elsewhere as a comment: Every time I visit here Friday it makes me feel like I need to step backwards to go forwards – I think I lost myself in all this social media but I am not even sure.. Maybe a post coming… makes my head hurt to think about it..

This is how I feel at times – not even sure who I am anymore there is so much “noise” out there in social media…

LCCotter February 10, 2014 at 9:25 pm

I understand friend. Take a step back and evaluate what is important to you. I’m here to support you and email me if you need clarity or just need to vent

Laura @ Mommy Run Fast February 10, 2014 at 9:37 am

I took a much needed mental break yesterday, too… we had a church retreat Saturday and then got back late Sat night, and I just needed to skip church and have down time. So J and L went, and I took a nap and enjoyed a quiet house. I was so refreshed by the time they got back!

LCCotter February 10, 2014 at 9:25 pm

Oh good! You need that rest too mama

Ashley February 10, 2014 at 9:41 am

Thanks for sharing the no gym, no problem workout! I just got to my parents house for the week and could totally use that workout instead of going out in the blizzard to the gym. Happy Monday!

Ashley, Married to the Game

LCCotter February 10, 2014 at 9:23 pm

Stay warm! And let me know how it goes!

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables February 10, 2014 at 9:47 am

yes… a break is exactly what I needed too. xoxo Your hair is gorgeous… I can’t get over it!
love these workouts! I need/want to get back to the gym for my mental health!

LCCotter February 10, 2014 at 9:22 pm

Wish I could come babysitt

Paige @ Your Trainer Paige February 10, 2014 at 10:12 am

Great workouts, as always, girrl :) And you KNOW how I feel about mental breaks. Necessary. Not an option. Obligatory.

LCCotter February 10, 2014 at 9:22 pm

Oh yes!!! Email me any prayers too friend

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat February 10, 2014 at 10:23 am

Oh yes, a mental break is so important; although, honestly, I’m not always good at doing this. I definitely need to find ways to distress and clear my head, especially during the work day when things get stressful.

LCCotter February 10, 2014 at 9:32 pm

It can be hard. Step back and just breathe

Lisa February 10, 2014 at 12:11 pm

Taking a break always leaves me feeling so refreshed. It’s amazing how it can clear your mind and anxieties when you step away from all things social media for a bit, it can be a bit overwhelming after a while.
And family nights are always a great mental break! I need them at least once a week for my sanity.

LCCotter February 10, 2014 at 9:21 pm

And I’m so glad you did that! Such a great reminder for us all

Lisa @ RunWiki February 10, 2014 at 12:32 pm

Yes to metal breaks! Although, sometimes it is very difficult–with kids you end up taking your extra time and worry about them– it shouldn’t be this challenging!

LCCotter February 10, 2014 at 9:20 pm

Text me! How can I help?

Kim K February 10, 2014 at 12:52 pm

i made an appointment for a much needed facial tomorrow so im hoping that will allow me to clear my mind! also want to try to find a yoga class for beginners that will allow me to give my mind a break.

LCCotter February 10, 2014 at 9:19 pm

I so wish we could yoga together!

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries February 10, 2014 at 1:11 pm

Mental breaks are SO necessary for me on a regular basis. Otherwise I get all up in my head, and it’s a disaster.

LCCotter February 10, 2014 at 9:20 pm

Amen friend! I know you needed one today, yes? Praying

funfitgirl February 10, 2014 at 1:48 pm

I definitely need a good mental break every once in a while. I tend to get really stressed out between work, running, life and all the little things. At that point, I need to just stop, take note of what is really important to me and focus on that.

Thanks for sharing!

LCCotter February 10, 2014 at 9:33 pm

So true. Taking note of significant life things. Staying in tune with those needs

Natalie February 10, 2014 at 2:49 pm

I need a mental break very badly. Between work and my personal life my brain is in overdrive. I am over thinking everything. I mean everything. I need a vacation, lol.

LCCotter February 10, 2014 at 9:15 pm

Me too! Hawaii?

Arman @ thebigmansworld February 10, 2014 at 3:00 pm

Guess who’s going to the try out the no gym no problem workout? Yes ma’am.

I also did 30 burpees…spread out. If they aid a mental break- i’d do 2000.

LCCotter February 10, 2014 at 9:15 pm

Ahh you make me proud

Kelly @ Cupcake Kelly's February 10, 2014 at 3:02 pm

Oh man, I have definitely been feeling that this week. Cold, Ice & snow plus a toddler that needed an ER visit meant that I took a break from everything else. I am ready to get back to it, but you are right when I took that time off I spent more time online and even more time yelling at myself for not being enough.

LCCotter February 10, 2014 at 9:18 pm

Oh no!! How is baby??? Better?

Kim February 10, 2014 at 3:19 pm

My mental break came more in the form of changing up a few meetings and not forcing myself to get out in the snow and cold last week – it was better dealing with the snow when I didn’t have to drive in it!!!

LCCotter February 10, 2014 at 9:15 pm

Good! Stay safe and warm!

Kierston February 10, 2014 at 7:52 pm

yes, absolutely. And baking lately has been my way to inner-ohm :)

Abby @ BackAtSquareZero February 10, 2014 at 8:26 pm

Sometimes we all need mental breaks. I slept in Sat & Sun. It was great.

LCCotter February 10, 2014 at 9:06 pm

you needed it! you’re a busy woman! <3

Danica @ It's Progression February 10, 2014 at 9:15 pm

This post is so full of truth!! <3

LCCotter February 10, 2014 at 9:34 pm

I know you can relate friend. ❤️❤️

Domi @ Eat, Pray, Lift February 10, 2014 at 11:05 pm

Good for you for taking a break! We all need those, even when it’s so hard to be still (maybe especially then). Funny though that you took time off from running and I tried starting again…Tradesies! :)

Christine @ Love, Life, Surf February 10, 2014 at 11:18 pm

Oh yes. Cranky and annoyed is one way to describe it!! I’m glad that you’ve taken a break. I need one stat!

LCCotter February 11, 2014 at 4:23 pm

i keep telling you…. HAWAII or BUST

Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate February 11, 2014 at 1:16 am

Yes to this! With my school load increasing, I have spent less time on social media and more time using my mind, which has been so needed. And it just makes the mindless IG scrolling study breaks that much more enjoyable. ;-)

LCCotter February 11, 2014 at 4:20 pm

IG for study breaks. I like that. Bet it makes you hungry though haha

Crystal@TheFastFitRunner February 11, 2014 at 10:41 am

I borrowed an trainer from a friend (it is probably 3 years old), and used it twice. It was GOD AWFUL. What trainer do you use? Maybe you could do a Vlog on your trainer and how exactly you set it up/use it for optimal in-door spinning. I WANT to get on my bike, but when its been in the 30′s-40′s going on a month now, I just can’t bring myself to get out on that bike. The “real feel” puts the temperature at 5-10 lower than that, not to mention the bike wind. Eek. Too cold.

LCCotter February 11, 2014 at 4:51 pm

the compu trainer is way better! but it’s $$. It measures your power and you can sync it better. But you’re right, can’t wait till it’s warm!!

Lindsay @ Lindsay Weighs In February 11, 2014 at 1:13 pm

You answered my cross training question I put out on Twitter without even knowing it!! I wasn’t sure if I could cross train with workouts like this (I just am not feeling the gym today!!!) but now I know I can. PS, I totally need to get one of the Pavement Runner shirts – love love love. AND my gosh how cute is that picture from your family night. Love!

LCCotter February 11, 2014 at 4:16 pm

oh good! glad i could help friend

Taylor @ Liftingrevolution February 11, 2014 at 4:03 pm

I’ve already decided I am going to make Dan film us together doing a workout.. kay? Cool. And yes, burpees will be included.

Heather @ Better With Veggies February 12, 2014 at 1:54 pm

Lately I’ve found instagram a mental break, as well. It’s so fun to scroll past pictures and smile at the fun shares. :)

LCCotter February 13, 2014 at 8:00 am

me too! makes me happy!

Cassie February 20, 2014 at 1:03 pm

Love this… I don’t take enough mental breaks. It’s a good reminder that it doesn’t mean we aren’t strong enough to tackle all the things on our to-do list, but we’re strong enough to know that it can wait :)

Elsa February 20, 2014 at 4:29 pm

Wow! 5km on the rowing machine + 100 burpees in ONE workout. Just wow. I think I would have a panic attack before even attempting that!

LCCotter February 20, 2014 at 5:19 pm

it’s do able! promise! slowly ease into it.