BBQ Lentil Stew & GF Snacks for Two!

by lindsay cotter on November 8, 2013

Happy Friday friends. Today I just want to focus on the good stuff. And when I say good, I mean food. See, as you know off season is has started a little early for us. And with that in mind, I’m changing a few things in the Cotter feeding zone. During the season I try to keep a good balance of meals for the kiwi, but I often exclude high-fiber meals during the day in case the he has an intense workout. You all know that would literally backfire ha ha. But since the kiwi is resting and taking it easy for the next 3 to 4 weeks, I can incorporate more fiber rich foods. That means lentils and split peas are back in the picture!

avo split pea

For a while I had to avoid lentils in order for my digestive system to heal. But now that my gut is about 95% healed, we can enjoy them in moderation.

bbq lentil 2

A few days ago I made a huge batch of lentils and decided to mix it up with of a bit gluten-free red pepper chicken sausage. A fiber and protein rich meal that would last a few days.  This recipe just happens to be Texas themed. A little barbecue seasoning can go along way here. Some might call it strange but good.

spt

bbq lentil

And lastly, I’ve been playing around with some snack ideas for my niece. She is the one that recently had to switch to a dairy free and gluten-free diet. So when Chex sent me some of their new vanilla Chex cereal to sample, I thought it would be perfect for her to try. She’s a kid, she needs her cereal fix. Don’t we all? Turns out this one of the few gluten free cereals that she will eat. I threw a Vanilla Chex mix snack together and hopes that she could enjoy it as a after school snack. GF Vanilla Chex, Candied Peanuts, Dried Apricots, and dairy free/gluten free Enjoy Life Chocolate Chip Minis.

chex

Little did I know that it and it has become the kiwi Cotter’s new favorite snack as well! So cheers to strange but good gluten-free and dairy free snacking!

Favorite way to eat lentils? Best after school snack you remember growing up?

thanks for the great tips in the comment section from this post! Be BOLD!

Linz @ Itz Linz November 8, 2013 at 8:00 am

i’m all about stews in this cold weather!!

Kierston @candyfit November 8, 2013 at 8:03 am

Backfire LOL ha! Too funny. I had some backfiring the other day on the treadmill. hahahaa. Oy.

I can’t remember the last time I had lentils. Maybe I should hold off until after my workout ;)

Amanda @runtothefinish November 8, 2013 at 8:08 am

nothing about this seems strange to me, just GOOD!! totally pinned it because I love how easy it is!

Liz @ I Heart Vegetables November 8, 2013 at 8:10 am

Oh yum!! That sounds so delicious!!! I loooove recipes like this for the cold weather!

Abby @ Change of Pace November 8, 2013 at 8:14 am

This recipe sounds delicious…unlike some of those Vegemite ones :)
My favourite way to eat lentils is in a hearty vegetable soup! Happy Friday!

Kanoelani November 8, 2013 at 8:16 am

I love them in stews or soups! I add them to curry ones all the time… yum if you like curry! And I love your snack idea for your niece so good & easy. Hmmm… my fav snack… I loved salty snacks… I still kinda do UGH but since I try to have less of the salt these days haha I still have it but less is more hehe. I love sweet & salty snacks AKA kettle corn yum! ;-)

LCCotter November 8, 2013 at 2:35 pm

oh heck ya! kettle corn yum!

Taylor @liftingrevolution November 8, 2013 at 8:18 am

Love BBQ lentils! Not strange at all! Favorite school snack was bagel bites. When pizzas on a bagel you can have pizza any time! Haha

LCCotter November 8, 2013 at 2:35 pm

well now that jingle is stuck in my head!

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun November 8, 2013 at 8:19 am

I don’t think this looks strange at all – it looks delicious and I can’t wait to try it!

LCCotter November 8, 2013 at 2:34 pm

let me know whatcha think!!

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat November 8, 2013 at 8:44 am

Mmmm…I love lentil stew! When my grandpa was alive, he used to make it all the time and it was SO tasty. I’ve actually never cooked with lentils myself, but I really should try that out sometime.

LCCotter November 8, 2013 at 2:34 pm

I have a feeling you will love them! and good job grandpa!

Heather (Where's the Beach) November 8, 2013 at 8:49 am

Lentils bother my sister too. I love them. I usually make veggie burgers with them. And the snack mix sounds perfect!

Amanda @ .running with spoons. November 8, 2013 at 8:53 am

I love how you manage to sneak molasses into so many of your recipes… definitely one of the most underrated ingredients. And paired with BBQ sauce? Sounds good to me!

I think the last time I had lentils was in snobby joes… I love them, but my stomach has some issues with them so I can’t enjoy them as much as I’d like :(

LCCotter November 8, 2013 at 2:34 pm

snobby joes? no wonder your tummy didn’t like it. hehe

misszippy November 8, 2013 at 9:28 am

I love lentil soup in the winter. BBQ? Would never have thought of it, but it does sound good! I like a little Texas twist!

Have a great weekend!

Cori @ olivetorun November 8, 2013 at 10:20 am

I was and still am a huge fan of pb and celery or pb and apples. It never steers me wrong.

LCCotter November 8, 2013 at 2:33 pm

amen sista!

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables November 8, 2013 at 10:26 am

I love me some stews when it gets cold out! Lentils have been hurting my tummy lately… :(

Bre November 8, 2013 at 10:31 am

waiiit…you mean I’m not just supposed to eat the lentils with a spoon straight from the can while still in sweaty bike gear? (classy, eh?) ;)
GF Chex mixed up in a trail mix is the best- haven’t gotten the vanilla flavour yet, but my favourite is the corn one with frozen blueberries (yes…still frozen) with vanilla almond milk and cinnamon. How is that for strange but good?

LCCotter November 8, 2013 at 1:33 pm

sounds normal to me! tee hee

jobo November 8, 2013 at 10:42 am

YUM!! I LOVE lentils and lentil soups! totally pinning this one :) vanilla chex…not sure I have tried them but now I shall have to!

Kat November 8, 2013 at 10:56 am

OMGoodness sounds delicious!

Kat November 8, 2013 at 10:57 am

LOOKS DELICIOUS!

Heather November 8, 2013 at 10:58 am

BAHAHAHA I’m cracking up over the “backfire” comment. TOO funny – and this is totally getting pinned for dinner!

LCCotter November 8, 2013 at 4:49 pm

hehe i just had to mention that.

Lisa November 8, 2013 at 11:24 am

Must try this recipe out!!! I am obsessed with lentils. They are so tasty…well when you add awesome things to them at least.
I didn’t know lentils could be harming when healing from digestive stuff! Very interesting, but glad you can enjoy them in moderation now because they are delicious.

LCCotter November 8, 2013 at 2:33 pm

well any high fiber food or legume can be harmful when the gut needs healing. So glad i can have a little now.

Lauren November 8, 2013 at 11:49 am

My favorite after school snacks were of the junk food variety. The best? DUNKAROOS! Loved ‘em. “it was literally backfire” HAHAHAHA. You’re too funny.

LCCotter November 8, 2013 at 2:33 pm

OH MY GOSH! I loved DUnkaroos!!! haha do they still make them?

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table November 8, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Lentils I usually do Indian-style. BBQ is such a good twist! Heather got be hooked in BBQ flavors last year.

Favorite after school snack… Homemade chocolate chip cookies and milk! Slightly healthier were the ants of a log – celery sticks filled with PB and dotted with raisin “ants.”

Laura @ Mommy Run Fast November 8, 2013 at 1:51 pm

Mmm, we did a similar sloppy jo lentils before that was delicious- sounds odd, but you’re right, it really works! I feel James’ disappointment… pretty sure my race is out, and I don’t know if it’s worth it to try for another one and lose fitness in the meantime. I might be joining y’all in the off season sooner than I had planned!

LCCotter November 8, 2013 at 2:32 pm

you’re welcome to join us anytime! off season party can be a blessing in disguise, right?

Michele @ Nycrunningmama November 8, 2013 at 2:46 pm

This recipe looks AMAZING! Thank you for sharing!!!! =)

LCCotter November 9, 2013 at 12:23 pm

you got us on a lentil kick last sunday! hehe

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl November 8, 2013 at 4:39 pm

This sounds super duper tasty!! I will definitely be trying this out with some vegan sausage!

LCCotter November 8, 2013 at 4:59 pm

yay! love the vegan sausage addition! keep me posted on how it turns out.

Melanie @ Nutritious Eats November 8, 2013 at 5:40 pm

My family would love that snack mix!

Jody - Fit at 55 November 8, 2013 at 5:47 pm

LOVE lentils! That is a great recipe!!!! The chex one too!!!! YUMMY!!!!!

Making Your Own Healthy Cereal; Ban on Trans Fats; Happy Bday http://truth2beingfit.com/2013/11/07/making-your-own-healthy-cereal-ban-on-trans-fats-happy-bday.aspx

Alyssa November 8, 2013 at 6:09 pm

I can’t wait to try the lentils. I really want to love lentils but I haven’t found a recipe that makes me want to come back for more. Maybe this is the one! And for the chex mix? I haven’t tried the vanilla version yet, but it sounds delicious and not weird at all. I guess when you’re GF/DF that definition really changes!

She Rocks Fitness November 8, 2013 at 7:17 pm

Does Costco sell bags of lentils? HAHA! I’ve seen so many yummy lentil recipes lately and cannot wait to try some out. Having chili tonight on this cool Texas evening! XOXO

LCCotter November 8, 2013 at 7:25 pm

haha i think they do sell them!

Suzanne @WorkoutNirvana November 8, 2013 at 8:12 pm

Thanks as always for the recipe Lindsay. Did someone say sausage? Mmmm

LCCotter November 9, 2013 at 7:16 am

i love sausage. Yes, the best part of this dish.. in my opinion. mmm… meat

Arman @ thebigmansworld November 9, 2013 at 4:37 am

Ohhh I miss eating legumes- Its so annoying, I love them but my stomach doesn’t- a pain in the…..

If you don’t mind me asking, did you just lay off them for a while then introduce them back in? I’d love to be able to eat them again- that recipe looks so so so good.

LCCotter November 9, 2013 at 7:16 am

so, if you are having digestive issues (i had a parasite back in 2006 and it wrecked me for years, you should avoid dairy, legumes, gluten, and soy for at least 3 months. Double up on probiotics and colostrum. And lots of good gut smoothies. Then slowly introduce dairy (low lactose) and legumes back in to see. Use sparingly. And always avoid gluten. Let me know if you do this!

Melissa C November 9, 2013 at 11:28 am

If you don’t mind me asking, what is in a good gut smoothie? I’m still working on healing my gut…

LCCotter November 9, 2013 at 12:16 pm

of course! it’s this one. Great for gut healing. http://www.cottercrunch.com/2013/08/good-gut-travel-tips/

Melissa C November 9, 2013 at 10:43 pm

Thank you so much Lindsay!

Arman @ thebigmansworld November 10, 2013 at 12:23 am

Sorry to hear that Lindsay! Thanks for that advice- I’m alright with lactose but for some reason its just legumes..I’ve started recently introducing chickpeas so I’m going to see how I handle them and then try out this recipe its too good to miss out on!

Brittany @ Freckled Nettles November 9, 2013 at 9:04 am

Mmm, the subtle sweetness of that lentil recipe sounds divine! I’m a total sucker for anything savory and sweet. My favorite after school snack was always PB&J… and I guess you can say that it is now my favorite after work snack now too ;)

LCCotter November 9, 2013 at 12:17 pm

it’s a must make! you will love it. Can i tell you a secret? I added a little pb into the stew as well, melted of course. REALLY good!

Miss Polkadot November 11, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Will you believe I’ve never had BBQ anything? Not even as a sauce and I’m unsure the seasoning is available in stores. But since I just rediscovered my fondness of lentils this recipe sounds awesome. Especially as it’d give me another excuse to finally buy molasses again despite my already overstuffed pantry, ahem.
My current favourite lentil recipe is my kabocha red lentil stew but they’re also delicious as a pizza topic [yes, really!].

Noelle at Noelle's Notebook November 12, 2013 at 4:51 pm

Yum! I love lentils in pretty much any form-they are so under-rated! My favorite way to eat them is with some chorizo and an over-medium eg. PerfecT! Can’t wait to try these with one of the hubster’s homemade rubs.

Noelle at Noelle's Notebook November 12, 2013 at 4:51 pm

*egg. Oops!

LCCotter November 12, 2013 at 6:37 pm

oh yes, love that combo too!!