Past Year to New Year

by lindsay cotter on January 1, 2013

2012 was a year of healing for the Cotters. I knew it would be because I prayed it would be. Didn’t know how or when, but I knew HE (God) would work HIS ways. All I had to do was TRUST. Easier said than done, but I (we) did.

As a couple we took every risk, every opportunity. We “went” for it. We learned the hard way and we learned to count our blessings.

HYHB-fuel

Me? Well, I gained so much more than my health back. I gained my smile and my confidence back. And I will continue to pray and work on that!

sadie hugs

So yes, Healing in 2012. Now it’s time to nurture. My ONE WORD in 2013. My focus.

nurture- Care for and encourage the growth or development of _______

oh the possibilities are endless here. I think I’ll take it one month at a time.

This video is way long, so feel free to skip, but I just had to post it. Why? Because it captures the journey.

oh and if you’re looking for something fun. Check out WORDLE for your blog. Here are my words. Apparently I did a lot of confessing in 2012. LOL!

Capture

Cheers to 2013!

The Cotters

I’m so going back to blonde and getting a spray tan. Realistic, yes? Winking smile

lake view us

Meg January 1, 2013 at 8:32 am

Oh sweetheart, I love you and this post so much!

Trusting God and His path is definitely something that is easier said than done, but we just need to DO IT

So proud of you and I am always here encouraging you as you go <3

LCCotter January 1, 2013 at 9:32 am

couldn’t have set it better, just DO IT! thank YOU for always supporting. High FIVES. hehe

beka @ rebecca roams January 1, 2013 at 8:50 am

I just started to follow you within the last few months, but you are by far one of the most mentally and emotionally inspirational people on my list. I hope 2013 brings you all that you are hoping. And I’m just gonna throw it out there that I like the natural shade of you better! ;)
The wordle thing is neat!

LCCotter January 1, 2013 at 9:30 am

ahh rebecca, you are awesome! so thank to have found YOU! IG friends! hehe. I hope that 2013 is full of whatever your heart desires! Go for it.

danielle @ Clean food creative fitness January 1, 2013 at 9:16 am

Love this post so much. I’ve been seeing the one word resolution of a few blogs and I love the concept behind them. Keep spreading your message of faith and God because it truly is a blessed one! Have a happy and healthy new Year!!

LCCotter January 1, 2013 at 9:30 am

thank you Danielle. It’s all about living now, right? One word, one focus, one intention! We can do it! <3

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries January 1, 2013 at 9:18 am

Love this! Happy New Year Linds! May it be a year full of nurture for the Cotter family. :)

The Candid RD January 1, 2013 at 10:05 am

I love that quote, about doing something about one thing instead of nothing about a lot of things. Well said.
I think my one thing is PATIENCE. I’ve been working on it for years, and getting better everyday. Preparing for kids. AHH!!

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance January 1, 2013 at 10:29 am

Happy New Year, Lindsay! Isn’t it fantastic to see the progress?!? 2012 included some healing for me, too, and your post was a great reminder to recognize that. :) How fun is that wordle?!?!

P.S. Thank you for recently pointing out the comment issues on my blog. While it isn’t 100% fixed yet (my friend is working on new plug-in since I guess the current one isn’t being updated), we switched the default setting to “replies”, which should only send you a message when I respond to your comment only. :)

maria @ lift love life January 1, 2013 at 10:39 am

I love this post :) And I completely agree. No resolutions for me this year, this year I just want to do the one word thing…and FOCUS.

Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 1, 2013 at 10:40 am

I knew it was a wise choice on my part to have your post be one of the first things I read in this new year. Please never stop nurturing us with your sherpa wisdom <3

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables January 1, 2013 at 11:19 am

I love the video.. and I love you! Thank you for being such a great inspiration, friend, and supporter of me. This has been a great year of healing for you, and I know that 2013 will be an even more fulfilling year! Happy New Year!

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers January 1, 2013 at 11:28 am

Awww, love it. :) Have a wonderful 2013!

Abby @ Change of Pace January 1, 2013 at 11:54 am

So happy 2012 was full of healing and positive gains!
I can’t wait to see what you two accomplish in 2013. Nurture is a great word to focus on this year. I don’t know what my word would be, but I think healing, nurturing, or anything along those lines would make for a good year!
Have a good one, Lindsay!

Tamara January 1, 2013 at 12:03 pm

Lindsay, ‘nurture’ is a fantastic word! Last spring I participated in a 30-day online course about ‘self care’. Learning to nurture ourselves was a big part of the process.

My word for 2013 is ‘balance’. Work/family/friends/fitness/blogging!

Happy New Year!

Heather January 1, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Have a beautiful new year, friend :)

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table January 1, 2013 at 12:34 pm

happy New year, gorgeous girl! Here’s to rocking 2013!

Heather @ For the Love of Kale January 1, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Happy, blonde, and tan. PERF. ;-) Hahaha. In all seriousness, I’m so happy for you and you gaining your health back! You’re such an inspiration, mama!

Danica @ It's Progression January 1, 2013 at 1:38 pm

love this…Nurture…just the word itself is beautiful.
Happy New Year, Cotters!

LCCotter January 1, 2013 at 3:50 pm

i agree. Happy new YEAR Danica!

Bre January 1, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Happy New Year to you and James! :)

LCCotter January 1, 2013 at 2:41 pm

happy new year! it’s YOUR year!

Lisa January 1, 2013 at 3:28 pm

Happy new year friend! You’ve gained so much wisdom, positivity, knowledge this year it’s amazing to see! And I’m glad you share this with all of us! Such wise words for the first day of January!

Paige @ Your Trainer Paige January 1, 2013 at 4:03 pm

I say bring on the blond! You look great with both colors, of course :)
Happy New Year, my friend.

TorontoRunner January 1, 2013 at 4:32 pm

Happy New Year!
I absolutely love your word for 2013.
I think 2013 will be my year for healing. 2012 was an emotional up and down crazy rollercoaster, and it was rough. I’m so , soo glad to see you’ve found your way out of it!

LCCotter January 1, 2013 at 9:35 pm

i know it will be! rest more and let the healing begin.xxoo

Madison @ Pilates Makes You Happy January 1, 2013 at 5:00 pm

As per usual, you are brilliant! Happy New Year!

LCCotter January 1, 2013 at 9:28 pm

you ARE BRILLIANT dear friend. Hugs!

She Rocks Fitness January 1, 2013 at 5:59 pm

YES go back blonde! Let’s face it we have more fun and beach hair looks much better in blonde. Just saying…Happy Happy New Year! XOXO

LCCotter January 1, 2013 at 9:28 pm

can we be twins then? xxoo

Linz @ Itz Linz January 1, 2013 at 6:44 pm

Aw happy new year!! xoxo

Jess January 1, 2013 at 7:30 pm

I just love that you got your confidence and smile back and that you two have both rediscovered yourselves and eachother this past year, which I know was not an easy one for either of you. Nurture is such a ‘you’ word my friend — it captures the essence of your heart and soul: someone who is always so caring and kind and GIVING. I love that about you and am excited about the prospect of the new year…for all of us. xo!

Heather (Where's the Beach) January 1, 2013 at 7:31 pm

“Lose the long list of resolutions — all your sweeping promises to change — and do something about one thing this year instead of nothing about everything.” I absolutely love this so much. I really need to take this one to heart and pick that one thing to change. I have an idea already so maybe my word for the year is “Change”

STUFT Mama January 1, 2013 at 7:34 pm

Oh nurture….. I LOVE that. I’m in. I need to nurture my body, my mind, my soul. I just love you friend. 2013 is the year of the Cotters. :) HUGS!!!

LCCotter January 1, 2013 at 9:29 pm

hugs right back!

You reminded me i need to buy more journals. hehe. REST.. you got this.. 2013!!

Allie January 1, 2013 at 7:51 pm

Yes, 2012 was a great year for you and the Hubs!! I pray this year will be even better! Cheers, my friend :)

LCCotter January 1, 2013 at 9:31 pm

thanks friend. Praying for YOU! keep me posted on your stomach.

jobo January 1, 2013 at 8:24 pm

I loove this post! LOVE the video recap, those are some awesome pics of your journey!! You have had quite the year but through trial and tribulation comes triumph! And you two are proof of that! I cannot wait to follow your journey in 2013, my inspiring, beautiful friend! XO

Christine @ Love, Life, Surf January 1, 2013 at 8:42 pm

It has been a healing journey this year, huh? I love that you got your confidence and smile back. Here’s to happy and healthy and blonder in 2013!! ;-)

LCCotter January 1, 2013 at 9:29 pm

i feel like we healed together. even more special!

Jess January 1, 2013 at 8:56 pm

You look great as a blonde! Happy New Year to you both! :)

LCCotter January 1, 2013 at 9:34 pm

thanks jess! and happy new year to you! it’s already jan 2nd, right? xxoo

Christina @ the athletarian January 1, 2013 at 9:04 pm

Happy New Year!! Loved the post and love you blonde. But I would love you bald, too. Here’s to 2013!

LCCotter January 1, 2013 at 9:31 pm

you are too kind, and i love you for it! cheers!

Katie January 1, 2013 at 10:12 pm

I am constantly amazed by the positive energy you have. Love you, lady and I am so happy that you got your health and smile back!!

How did you make that video? I want to do something like that.

I made some resolution-ish-y things, but they all have one central aim – my mental happiness. Not a single physical one. No weight or food resolutions. Time to focus on my real asset – my brain!

LCCotter January 2, 2013 at 7:28 am

mental happiness is probably the hardest yet most rewarding, yes? begin by letting go of so much control and rebuild. Well, at least that’s what i am doing. But we’re alike, right? ;-)

LCCotter January 3, 2013 at 7:34 am

oh and i made the video through windows movie maker. super easy!

Christine January 1, 2013 at 10:26 pm

Blonde, yes! You have such faith. Need it to rub off on me.

Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous! January 1, 2013 at 10:50 pm

Happy Happy New Year Lindsay! You have been such an inspiration this year, and I am wishing you and your family much happiness in 2013!

LCCotter January 2, 2013 at 7:27 am

thank you friend! wishing you the same right back! cheers!

Heather @ Better With Veggies January 1, 2013 at 11:15 pm

Wow – I didn’t remember that BLOND hair – I like your hair both ways. :) Thank you so much for sharing the word focus. I’m taking liberties with it and starting to create a list around my word. I don’t follow directions well sometimes. :)

LCCotter January 2, 2013 at 7:29 am

balance is your word, right? Praying for you and i know you will EMBRACE it!

Cait the Arty Runnerchick January 1, 2013 at 11:32 pm

CONGRATS on such a big year for u…taking the risks prolly felt like u were about to poop urself in the moment but they certainly brought u to a MUCH better, happier, and fulfilling life right now. it can be crazy to look back at those moments and being on the other side of things u just have to thank ‘past you’ for being brave enough to take the leaps.
happy new year to u and i hope it brings nothing but more and more wonderful things to u and the family! :)

LCCotter January 2, 2013 at 7:30 am

yes yes, crazy to look back but also so liberating!

Miz January 2, 2013 at 7:53 am

IM SO NEEDING TO CHANNEL YOU THESE DAYS.

LCCotter January 2, 2013 at 9:38 pm

i’m channeling you.. being present! <3

Coco January 2, 2013 at 8:31 am

Such an amazing journey- I just love you two! I have always dreamed of traveling and living the way you do- though I know there are struggles and stumbles along the way- it looks worth it! You are so strong and inspiring :) Happy new year Cotters!

LCCotter January 2, 2013 at 9:55 pm

thank you for such kind words coco. I have a feeling that you might just get to embrace those dreams soon… go for it!

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile January 2, 2013 at 10:37 am

Happy New Year, love!!! <3

LCCotter January 2, 2013 at 9:58 pm

happy new year beautiful friend!

kalli January 2, 2013 at 11:17 am

i love the year you two had. you took risks that payed off for health and success. i am so glad you have gotten your health back and that healthy bites are taking off as well. you and James deserve so much because you give so much to others each and every day. i know this year will be equally incredibly for you :) sending hugs!

LCCotter January 2, 2013 at 10:00 pm

i honestly have to thank YOU both for believing in us, always! hugs.

julie January 2, 2013 at 11:28 am

yayyyyy love your one word! i feel like mine for this year is to just feel refreshed hahaha its always such a good feeling starting off a new year :) excited to see what’s in store for you & the hubs! xox

LCCotter January 2, 2013 at 10:02 pm

thanks juls! and don’t worry, i’m still on the look out for a kiwi man for you. YOu need one! their pretty cute.

Nichole January 2, 2013 at 12:22 pm

May 2013 be your best year yet. Looking forward to seeing the Cotters dominate in the small biz and on the race front!

LCCotter January 2, 2013 at 9:58 pm

thank you friend. I cannot wait to see your sweet family grow this year. <3

Laura @ Mommy Run Fast January 2, 2013 at 2:18 pm

I’m so thankful to have connected with you this year, Lindsay. Your posts are always touching and inspiring. What a blessing to have seen that healing take place this year… so much more in store for you, I am sure! You are already a tremendous nurturer, can’t wait to see where 2013 will take you.

LCCotter January 2, 2013 at 10:03 pm

well i learn from nurturers like you friend. hope we get to meet this year!

Michelle {lively kitchen} January 2, 2013 at 4:21 pm

Hey – can this be the year we meet up again? Let’s figure out a day I can meet you for lunch!

I’m thinking my word for the year is ‘flexible.’ My family deserves it. :)

LCCotter January 2, 2013 at 10:02 pm

yes!!! come to austin and take a class ! miss you.

Kristen January 2, 2013 at 6:51 pm

while i just wrote a post on not making resolutions – i do have a two word “goal”: be present.

i hope you have a great 2013!

LCCotter January 2, 2013 at 10:01 pm

you will conquer that, i have a BOLD feeling. cheers Kristen!

Pavement Runner January 2, 2013 at 7:45 pm

Cheers to you both… I’ll have to go back and watch the video. Mind if I have a glass of wine while I do so?

LCCotter January 2, 2013 at 9:14 pm

a must! cheers! should i drink 2013 different wines now that you are running that much?
;-)

Beth January 2, 2013 at 9:21 pm

Hey Lindsay – My one word for 2013 is consistent because I need to work on it. If I could choose one word for you guys in 2013 it would be JOY, I hope you have lots of it because you two deserve it.

LCCotter January 2, 2013 at 10:04 pm

thats a great word beth! you will find it, with time of course! Cheers!

Caroline January 3, 2013 at 1:06 am

wishing you and James all the best for 2013!

LCCotter January 3, 2013 at 9:24 am

and same to you friend. xxoo

Amanda @RunToTheFinish January 3, 2013 at 10:26 am

nuture is such a great word!!! I love what it entails

LCCotter January 3, 2013 at 9:18 pm

me too! and i want to really feed this year well!

janetha January 3, 2013 at 10:52 am

happy new year to the cotter crew! love you!

LCCotter January 3, 2013 at 7:06 pm

ahh, love YOU! p.s. did you get my special delivery yet?

Allie January 4, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Woah, blonde you looks so different! I like both! Oh wait, that wasn’t the point of this post. I’ve had hairdos on the mind recently…

Anyway, CHEERS to moving forward, moving upwards, healing, nurturing and growing! Wishing the best for you & the hubs in the year to come!

LCCotter January 4, 2013 at 4:20 pm

oh yes! thank YOU! missed you woman!