I recently discovered today was a holiday. In fact it’s Columbus Day! Quite the discovery indeed.. I know, corny.
So in honor of this Columbus Day, I thought I’d blog about some recent discoveries myself. Clever, yes? Haha, no it’s just the cute blog thang to do. Guilty.
I discovered that pinterest “discovery” searches are quite inspiring. Like this quote!
I discovered that the best way to reconnect and disconnect simultaneously is through yoga. I needed this BAD this weekend. Disconnecting from the world and reconnecting my body and mind. Thank you Balance Yoga!
I discovered that the more healthy bites I bring over to my brothers house, the more kisses I get from my nieces and nephews. I’ll be making more healthy bites this week for sure!
I discovered that no weekend is complete without a little down time, some play time, and a meal that includes poached eggs and buttered bread. Enough said.
I discovered that in the Cotter house, Fall officially begins when the first huge batch Green Chili Chicken stew is made. Perfect food prep for the week too! Want the recipe?
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups broth
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 can northern beans (optional)
- 2 small cans green chilies
- chili pepper and/or paprika
- sea salt and black pepper
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup mixed frozen corn and carrots
- 1 cup chopped chicken sausage/roasted chicken (Vegans can use tempeh bacon or tofu)
- mozzarella to top
- Note: If you are paleo, omit the beans and corn, add squash instead. If you are vegan, tempeh or marinated tofu works as well as adding in my beans.
- sautee your celery, garlic (2 tsp), tomatoes, and, onion in oil for a bit before cooking. Set aside.
- In a large pot, combine your broth, corn/carrots, and seasons (about 1 to 2 tsp of each). Let it simmer for a minute. Then add in your fixins. Beans, green chili, sauteed veggies and garlic, meat or meat substitute. Let it simmer some more. This is where you need to taste. Add black pepper and sea salt if it needs more seasoning. Add more celery and carrots if i needs more bulk. Some people like it really thick, others more broth based. If you add in a can of northern beans, it makes it more of a chili than a stew. Both good!
- I like to use spicy chicken sausage to make it lean and with even more spice!
- Serve in bowl, add chili pepper flakes and grated mozzarella.
I discovered that my husband is one patient man. Patient and determined! Year two of injury and he’s doing the best he can to heal. Does he complain? Not really, instead he focuses on helping others reach their racing goals. Such an inspiration! Yes, I am bias, but I am allowed to be.
And last but not least, I’ve discovered that some of my closest friends are the ones that are miles away. Thanks to this community! Pretty marvelous if you ask me, right Katie?
What have you discovered lately?
Happy Columbus Day!