You know what’s funny? Life on this island is very much like when we lived in Hawaii. Everything closes early. The internet is always hit or miss. The power/AC comes and goes, etc. But it’s a “no worries” kind of atmosphere. That’s what we like anyway. I think we all need to adapt that “theme” of life. Yes?
Anyway, a quick update while I can. A few scenes from their 5 hr. ride around the island and an ironman distance ocean swim.
I managed to get in a little run here and there before dying from humidity. Then back to the house to fix some grub. I think the best thing for long runs/rides is a good GF porridge in the rice cooker. I made this dish Saturday morning and we’ve been munching on it all weekend. It’s great by itself before a long training day or you can even use it for post workout fuel. Just serve half the amount of sweet rice in a bowl and add Greek yogurt and banana or honey on top. More protein and 4:1 ratio. It’s delicious!
Trail Mix Brown Rice Porridge with Ginger
- 2 cups brown rice
- coconut milk, cream, or almond milk
- 1 cup chopped dates/raisins
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup raw sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds
- ginger spice
- sea salt
- Natural Nut butter
- butter (optional)
- You can make this recipe in a regular pot but i think the rice cooker is easier.
- Combine your rice and water. Then add in your seeds, dried fruit, and a little bit of cinnamon and ginger. Cover and let it cook about half way or about 10 minutes. Then add in more cinnamon (couple tsp’s) and a tiny bit more ginger. stir in your nut butter until melted through out the rice. Add in a couple tbsp’s of honey and a dash of sea salt. Cover again and cook. When it done or when the liquid is all soaked up and the rice is fluffy, add in your cream and a bit more honey. Stir then cover and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Serve in bowl with a scoop of Greek Yogurt on top and banana or plain with a little milk on top. Either way, it’s delicious!
Oh and wanna know how they reward a good Sherpa? Wine and dine me once every few weeks and I’m good as new! hehe.
Don’t worry, I wasn’t being serious here. Just trying to act cool. Which obviously didn’t work.
What’s your theme of life right now? Any specialty FUEL foods?
Cheers from the islands!
I know i will be missing a lot of posts from other blends this week. Feel free to link up in a comment if there is something important to share.