First of all, thank you for the encouragement from my last post. I am very blessed to be part of this Cotter Team, and I have say.. the hubs makes a great captain . WE are also very blessed to have an amazing support system; friends, family, etc. And when I say amazing, I mean the speechless kind… AWE-mazing.
Anyway, just wanted to pop in mid week and give a little update. The 2nd PRP treatment went well. This time they made two insertions, one in the ankle and one in the knee. Dr. Fullerton said James’ ankle was extremely tight with limited flexibility. Could all be knee related too. Crazy how the whole body is connected (through injury and healing).
Speaking of healing. He’s taking the rest of the season off to do just that. Well, besides swimming. Both of us are a little limited on cardio right now and focusing on strength/stretching/yoga/etc. That being said, we’ve changed our diet a bit.
We don’t count calories in this house. Instead, we focus on nutrients. The next few months are more good fat/protein based and high in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory rich foods. I’ve been making more coconut flour based breads, more green juices in the morning, and more fish and eggs at lunch. I’d say this is about 80% of our diet right now. Just real food. I don’t buy a lot of cereals (for now), and I use more nut based GF granola.
Now don’t get me wrong, when we want something, we will get it. Like a late night Wendy’s Frosty run, etc. But the hubs has asked me to keep him in “good form” while he is not racing or training, so nutrients are KEY!
As for me? I am still trying to get all the extra nutrients i can! Allergy friendly Protein shakes, juicing, and spoons full of coconut butter have been my go to. Plus it’s been easy on my stomach, phew!
Here’s a protein bread recipe that I adapted from Maria’s Site. I just LOVE HER!!
|Grain Free/Gluten Free Protein Bread||
- 6 eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup unflavored egg protein
- 1/4 cup goats milk powder
- (can also just use 1 cup protein powder- plain, no goats milk powder)
- 4 oz organic cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 tsp caraway seed
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- *any spice can be added to this
- *to make vegan use egg white replacer, vegan protein, and tofutti cream cheese or other vegan cream cheese.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Separate the eggs (i did what she did and saved the yolks for later), and whip whites until stiff (I used a hand mixer). Then carefully fold in protein and herbs/spices. Next fold in the cream cheese (make sure the whites don’t fall). Oil your bread pan and fill with “dough.” Bake for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool before cutting so bread doesn’t fall. Cut into slices. I also thought about making these into buns or muffins. Both work!
We like to pair it with vegemite, almond butter, organic cultured cottage cheese, etc.
And let’s not forget healthy bites. I made a bite which I like to call the MAC DADDY. Dried cherry, ginger, mac nut, and pineapple. Great source of antioxidants from the cherries, and ginger root for an anti-inflammatory .
Well, that’s it for now.
What is KEY in your life right now? Food related or not!