Ocean Potion

by lindsay cotter on May 30, 2012

Not gonna lie. This has been one crazy ride. Past few week here have flown by! These crazy folks have anywhere between 2 to 4 workouts a day. I’m trying to do my best to keep the fridge stocked and fuel ready. It ain’t cheap either. Gluten free bread is about $12! Wowza! Let’s just say rice cakes have been my best friend instead. That, and corn tortillas.

Our training camp staples. The cheap and the not so cheap.

• Cheap: Plantains the size of your arm, local pineapple (to die for), papaya, coconut water (the cheap local kind), corn flakes, corn tortillas, eggs, peanut butter.

plantain

• The not so cheap: larabars, cliff bars, any kind of organic meat or vegetable, almond milk, almond butter, bottled water, and greek yogurts (with the exception of Chobani, which I found on sale. HALLELUJAH!!

I guess paradise does come with a cost. Haha! Winking smile

Anyway, here’s a little swim video and pictures from today’s ocean swim. A time trial ironman swim. It’s always good to practice open water swimming. Such a huge difference when it comes to endurance versus in the pool. Ya know?

DSC03177.JPGDSC03178.JPGswimo-matic

As much as I adore my Sherpa job, I also find myself very eager. Eager to train again, eager to keep up with the “crew,” eager to be fit. It’s hard not to when you are constantly surrounded by endurance junkies. But I am lucky, wait.. scratch that. I am blessed. Blessed to have married a man, a professional athlete, who had been through all those feelings before and can relate. He has felt the high of winning and being fit as can be and he has felt the lowest of lows, being injured and working paycheck to paycheck. Yes, the hubs. One piece of advice for anyone coming back from an injury, illness, etc. … start slow and appreciate the process. It will only make you stronger than before, more mentally than anything.

So here I am, starting off slow, building back my fitness, stronger than before. I maybe not be out there training like I did before, but that’s okay. I don’t need to be. Fitness is a passion that can last a lifetime. Not an all or nothing regime. Well, maybe just in my opinion. Smile

How do you view YOUR fitness these days? Is it still a passion?

I hope so!

Embrace it with arms wide open.

wild kiwi

Heather (Where's the Beach) May 30, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Gorgeous views. Please enjoy the beach for me ;-) And as hard as it might be, re-building slowly (and smarter) is really the only way to go.
Heather (Where’s the Beach) recently posted..Back to Reality and Tempeh Fajitas

LCCotter May 30, 2012 at 9:14 pm

i know you know this, so thank you! thank for encouragement as always. Sorry i have been so MIA. I do read your blogs, its just hard to comment when time is limited her. Know i appreciate you so much.

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail May 30, 2012 at 5:26 pm

What a glorious trip! I certainly value a change of routine with scenes like that! And, I makes me appreciate getting back into my groove. I bet clients are anxious to work with you and you to do some training of your own!

I take it your health is on the up and up?!!
Jess @ Blonde Ponytail recently posted..5 Tips for Your Fit-Cation

LCCotter May 30, 2012 at 9:15 pm

and i am anxious to work with them. they are actually an encouragement to me now!

StoriesAndSweetPotatoes May 30, 2012 at 5:34 pm

Being in the position to get back into fitness can be a blessing. You can make sure the habits you form are healthy ones and like you said, come back even stronger. Your perspective and knowledge about anything always grows the second time around.
Glad you’re having a lovely time in Paradise ;)
StoriesAndSweetPotatoes recently posted..Eating Disorders and Food Allergies

LCCotter May 30, 2012 at 9:17 pm

i see that now. A blessing, you are so right. Back to health, better than before. Amen!

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries May 30, 2012 at 6:00 pm

wowee, who ever knew bread could be so expensive?!?! haha!
and i couldn’t agree more with you about our passion for fitness not needing to be an all or nothing thing… i’ve definitely been learning that in my own life the last few months. even though i can’t give it my ALL right now, i still have a passion for being fit and exercising that i know will last a lifetime. i can’t wait until the day that i can get out there and get my heart rate soaring again! :)
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..WIAW #36: New Creations

LCCotter May 30, 2012 at 9:16 pm

yes yes, and our time will come. Just not now, maybe soon.. Focusing on how we are progressing and the healing is key. Love it Ash!

Klh May 30, 2012 at 6:06 pm

I bet the pineapples are amazing! The water is insane…so pretty! Just take each day as it comes is all I can say :)

<3 <3
Klh recently posted..It’s Tuesday

LCCotter May 30, 2012 at 9:16 pm

i’ll take your words and hold them near and dear to my heart.

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean May 30, 2012 at 6:11 pm

now i’m craving plantains and pineapple!!
Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean recently posted..WIAW: Flashback

LCCotter May 30, 2012 at 9:13 pm

how about grilled plantains, pineapple and chobani on top? YUM!!

katie @KatieDid May 30, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Comparing is always a tough thing to stay away from when you’re feeling left behind. Focus on you, how far you’ve come, the progress you’ve most likely already made, and how your journey is different from anyone else’s. And enjoy that beautiful island! Hope you’re having a great time amidst the craziness.
katie @KatieDid recently posted..Minty Lime Coconut Milkshake

LCCotter May 30, 2012 at 9:13 pm

yes, well said. focus on my abilities, my progression, my internal strength. so wise katie!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) May 30, 2012 at 6:36 pm

Such incredible advice! I find it hard not to get frustrated with my body some days. I feel like it should do more and I should be more. Then I realize that I’m the best me I can possibly be. That does seem to help. I won’t ever be the strongest or the fastest person out there, but I do all that I can and I’m pretty happy with that…all things considered.
Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) recently posted..Crispy Rosemary Corn Flake Chicken With Cornbread Waffles and a Giveaway

LCCotter May 30, 2012 at 9:12 pm

ditto ditto! i am angry at my body but at the same time i must give it patience and respect. yes?

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile May 30, 2012 at 6:52 pm

I love your outlook! Injuries are definitely hard to get through, but you will get through it and be back in no time! Gorgeous pictures. Enjoy yourself :D
Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile recently posted..What I Ate on Vacation

LCCotter May 30, 2012 at 9:12 pm

yes, i think so! time flys by too. Just one day at a time, tackling a new challenge, right?

jobo May 30, 2012 at 7:27 pm

I bet you are itching like crazy, but slow and steady is definitely the right approach, you are a smart sherpa and trainee, aren’t you :-) And you ARE fit and passionate ABOUT fitness and that is the best combo. natural passion is the only kind as far as I’m concerned. And wow, what a view of everything. beautiful. As for expensive eats, yikes, but it sounds like you are balancing the expensive items with the cheaper, perfect! :)
jobo recently posted..On the Importance of time and priorities.

LCCotter May 30, 2012 at 9:11 pm

itching like crazy is right, but you are right. Natural passion is where it’s at. Lasts forever!

Bre May 30, 2012 at 7:38 pm

Embrace it with arms wide open. I absolutely adore it. :)
Fitness is definitely a passion still…might be going through a bit of withdrawl after my last 10 days of training in Kona! ;)
Bre recently posted..celebrate EPIC…

LCCotter May 30, 2012 at 9:10 pm

i think you need to leave canada, just sayin. please?!!!!

Bre May 30, 2012 at 9:14 pm

got any jobs in Austin for me? know anything about getting a work Visa for the USA? I’m trying for September…or sooner if a job/visa could get worked out.
Bre recently posted..10 Epic lessons…

LCCotter May 30, 2012 at 9:17 pm

i will hunt for jobs asap!!

She Rocks Fitness May 30, 2012 at 7:39 pm

Fitness is my passion on so many levels…It keeps me sane these days! Love the ocean. It’s also another passion. But then again, I am a Pisces. PS: My beach hair is so rocking, but it really needs a wash tomorrow. LOL
She Rocks Fitness recently posted..Tuesday Recap + Wordless WIAW

LCCotter May 30, 2012 at 9:10 pm

i just washed mine! haha, it will last me another week. Then lets do a photoshoot! haha.

Kierston May 30, 2012 at 7:41 pm

You have such a great outlook :)

Enjoy paradise and some pineapple for me!

p.s. I nominated you for the One Lovely Blogger Award :)
Kierston recently posted..WIAW-eeee!

Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health May 30, 2012 at 7:46 pm

LOVE all of those pictures! Sooo pretty :D. You have such an amazing outlook on fitness….it’s very inspirational Linds!
Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..My Wedding Veil

LCCotter May 30, 2012 at 9:10 pm

i say the same thing about you friend, inspirational!

teabagginit May 30, 2012 at 7:52 pm

i love this – and it’s so great that james can help support you in your process and healing!
my fitness is definitely my passion now – much more than before because now it’s not my punishment! i’ve also realized that my fitness isn’t my life, though, and i think that has made all the difference! it’s allowed me to stretch my mind with yoga, strengthen my fortitude with weights, and breathe life into my dreams with running!
teabagginit recently posted..WICravedW

LCCotter May 30, 2012 at 9:09 pm

yes yes! never a punishmenet, but a privelage! i love your words T!

Kris May 30, 2012 at 8:42 pm

you married a WISE man. it’s a positive thing to be feeling eager, and you two both have the knowledge and the experience to know what and how much is best… start slow, and enjoy every minute! XXO
Kris recently posted..tomato orange soup

LCCotter May 30, 2012 at 9:08 pm

i know you know kris. It is all about the process. Oh yes, thank you! <3

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List May 30, 2012 at 8:43 pm

LOVE what you said about fitness being a lifetime journey! I couldn’t agree more – I’m training some older ladies right now and I’m just so very proud that they aren’t giving up and laying down!
Lindsay @ Lindsay’s List recently posted..wednesday woves

LCCotter May 30, 2012 at 9:07 pm

totally! and more power to them for starting now! i love it. I need to train with you gals.

Cort The Sport May 30, 2012 at 9:35 pm

I never thought I could picture myself doing an ocean triathlon swim. NOW I can…just has to be the “right” ocean!! WOW!
Cort The Sport recently posted..Family resemblance

LCCotter May 31, 2012 at 9:16 am

oh i think these warm water would welcome you with open arms!

Melissa @ Live, Love, & Run May 30, 2012 at 9:53 pm

Man. Keep enjoying that beach for me, eh? lol LOVE the music you set for the video. Haha. And I’m LOVING the neon pick bathing suit! (I’m diggin’ the color these days.)
Melissa @ Live, Love, & Run recently posted..Heart, Strength, & Power: How to Reach Your Goals.

LCCotter May 31, 2012 at 9:17 am

me too! the brighter, the more cheerful! right?

Katie May 30, 2012 at 10:07 pm

I’m trying to remind myself of this every day. Fitness is a passion of mine, yes, but it isn’t my life. I have other passions, and right now I need to let fitness ebb a little bit…I’ll be back soon enough!
Katie recently posted..Thai Curried Crab Cakes (I like crab!)

LCCotter May 31, 2012 at 9:16 am

i swear we lead parallel lives. ;-)
ditto

Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food May 30, 2012 at 10:07 pm

I feel like I’m in a good place with my fitness right now. I am teaching my Jazzercise classes and also training for races, so my schedule is full, but not to point where I feel overwhelmed. :)
Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food recently posted..Peanut Butter Cereal Bars

LCCotter May 31, 2012 at 9:15 am

i love that feeling Kelly! hold on to it, appreciate it!

Abby @ Change of Pace May 30, 2012 at 11:17 pm

That water is insanely beautiful! I’m sure it’s tough to do more watching than participating. But, you’re probably the best Sherpa around!
Hang in there! I know how frustrating it can be.
Abby @ Change of Pace recently posted..Wednesday web links – pro athlete mania!

LCCotter May 31, 2012 at 9:14 am

thanks abby. Love the encouragement. it helps!

Miz May 31, 2012 at 4:29 am

I love your lifeinspiration and I, too, am grateful for your amazing husband.
you support him
he supports you, too.
Miz recently posted..The second wave: UPDATE.

LCCotter May 31, 2012 at 9:13 am

i’d say we are pretty lucky. But then again, so are they. teehee.

Allie May 31, 2012 at 6:04 am

Lately I have really been struggling with my workouts Feeling like I need to work out for HOURS bc I dont feel like I am seeing any results what so ever. I am just feeling really discouraged. Plus it doesnt help that I am also battling my stupid self image as well :/ Sorry for being a whiny head as a comment
Allie recently posted..RAWR

LCCotter May 31, 2012 at 8:55 am

don’t fear yourself, or lack there of. You know God made you and created you in His imagine. You know that friend. Cling to his goodness!

Nichole May 31, 2012 at 6:24 am

You’re doing a GREAT job! Holy grocery store pricing – but that’s what happens when you ship goods to a tiny island.

Ocean swimming is beyond hard, don’t envy those racers. I get super nervous for them

Bonus, the weather looks great!

LCCotter May 31, 2012 at 9:18 am

at least the pineapple is cheap. I’ve been eating my weight in that. and thanks for the encouragement Nichole. <3

Lisa May 31, 2012 at 6:31 am

Ah, paradise!
This is a good reminder for me…to be patient! I’m so NOT patient, but it really is the only way to be!
I’m in the middle of a fun (hard) fitness plan that I designed for myself…just to see what I can achieve by August….4 weeks in, and I’m still impatient, but I can see results too–so that’s super satisfying!
Lisa recently posted..Orange Apricot Coconut Macaroons (or Truffles)

LCCotter May 31, 2012 at 9:19 am

yes, and if you jump ahead you can’t really see the gains, ya know? Keep me updated on your plan!

Jess May 31, 2012 at 7:04 am

I just love your perspetive. On sherpa-ing (and doing a damn fine job in uncharted territory there on the island!) but also on coming back from injury or illness and appreciating and even EMBRACING the process of making your comeback. It’s so refreshing. I love that the hubs has been there to support you as you yearn for that “fit” feeling you’ve been missing (you are STILL very fit my friend, but I know what you mean). You two are so good for eachother!!
Jess recently posted..(run)Streaking

LCCotter May 31, 2012 at 9:18 am

i knew you’d understand and I knew you’d have the perfect words to say. xoxo

Kim K May 31, 2012 at 9:58 am

you and the hubs are really blessed to have each other and help each other heal and become stronger. i love that about you two.

i also am jealous about that clear blue water you kids are swimming in!

lastly – some of your links – to larabars and chiobani, dont work :(
Kim K recently posted..First Race Pics of the Season

LCCotter May 31, 2012 at 12:56 pm

thank you friend, and we are blessed to know you. You keep us laughing. hehe. And thanks for the links, i’ll fix them oh and i plan to email you back!

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning May 31, 2012 at 11:22 am

My love affair with fitness and being active is still going strong- going on 8 years now living HEALTHY!
What are you doing with the plantains? (As in, how do you prepare/eat them? I love em roasted with a little salt)
Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning recently posted..Foodie Pen Pal: May

LCCotter May 31, 2012 at 12:55 pm

i love baking them with cinnamon and making plantain chips. then you dip them in CHOBANI!! SO GOOD! And i love your love for fitness, it’s on fire lauren and it shows!

Christine @ Oatmeal Bowl May 31, 2012 at 12:04 pm

I love me some Plantains! Mmmm… caramelized. Yum! $12 for GF bread. ouch! Those pics are gorgeous Lindsay.

I’ve been slacking a bit in the fitness routine. Its hard to stay motivated when life hands you obstacles. But am happy to have all my friends and my workout partner not letting me slip too badly. ;)
Christine @ Oatmeal Bowl recently posted..Site Crashing & Summer Wine Tasting Event

LCCotter May 31, 2012 at 12:55 pm

oh yum, carmalized sounds good! i hope you are okay friend. Can i do anything to help you jump through those obstacles? xoxo

Alysia @ Slim Sanity May 31, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Running has been rough for me the last couple weeks. Sometimes it’s hard to remember that small progress is still progress!
Alysia @ Slim Sanity recently posted..Foodie PenPal Reveal

LCCotter May 31, 2012 at 4:39 pm

yes, and it’s all about the baby steps to get you there the healthiest and safest way! just hard on the ego, haha

Lisa May 31, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Absolutely gorgeous views you had there! I love your perspective on fitness being a journey! Spot on, and I have to agree with you on that one! I need to embrace where I am in fitness right now, and I need to acknowledge that I need to back up on the workouts for a while. My body is still trying to heal and I need to give it that time. You rock!!
Lisa recently posted..Showdown: Oats

LCCotter May 31, 2012 at 4:40 pm

yes totally. The last thing we want to do is backtrack. All about moving forward, healing!

Jan May 31, 2012 at 4:10 pm

I think your attitude is amazing. You are right–you have your whole life to become fit, no rush!! Take it slow!
Jan recently posted..Trail Running Tips and Techniques

LCCotter May 31, 2012 at 4:25 pm

i think everyone does! it’s all about how we utlize it, yes? NOT a sprint, but a life long marathon of fitness passion!

kalli May 31, 2012 at 4:45 pm

i am so excited you are getting your fitness back! and i love the hubs quote…..so true!
kalli recently posted..The Funk and How Instagram Saves Me

LCCotter May 31, 2012 at 8:22 pm

yes, so maybe when i come visit you, we can go for a run!

janae@hungryrunnergirl.com May 31, 2012 at 5:03 pm

I will send you some bars and you can send me some pineapple:) 2 to 4 workouts a day..that is out of control, wow. The scenery is to die for, I am so happy for you guys! Definitely still a passion even though it is getting harder I still love it!

LCCotter May 31, 2012 at 8:26 pm

oh my gosh you would love this pineapple Janane. It’s unreal! Especially with ICE CREAM!!! Your little pregnant belly needs this! love you sweet friend. how are you? miss you.

Heather @ Better With Veggies May 31, 2012 at 5:11 pm

I think I would say we’re in hard-core flirting stage right now, it’s not as much of a passion in my life as normal, but it’s coming back!! =) I can completely relate to those feelings of eagerness, when we aren’t able to do something, it makes us want to do it even more. Take it slow and you’ll be back before you know it!!
Heather @ Better With Veggies recently posted..Runner’s World Run Streak + May Foodie Penpals

LCCotter May 31, 2012 at 8:25 pm

yes, i knew you could relate. Wanting to jump right back into training, racing, etc. But God always has a different plan, a better plan!

Pure2raw twins May 31, 2012 at 8:11 pm

so jealous, you are at the beach, Lori is at the beach…I want to be at the beach.

Beautiful photos, and loved video ;)
Pure2raw twins recently posted..Avocado Protein Pudding

LCCotter May 31, 2012 at 8:24 pm

i need a partner in crime here! i’m sure twins bakery can visit the bahamas, right?

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva May 31, 2012 at 8:41 pm

I’ve never tried a plantain but they look yummy! I love your outlook towards fitness. I too have had my highs and lows. But I realise I want to be active for life…so taking it easy from time to time is essential. I am blessed that my body can move, and I can walk, run or jump when i want. I’d like to keep it that way too so I’m taking good care not to overdo things. Loving all the pictures and updates xox
Sarah @ The Healthy Diva recently posted..Tasty not sexy recipe #1: Mediterranean Meatballs

LCCotter June 1, 2012 at 6:18 am

yes, and you are blessed beyond means. I love this. Love you!

Sara @ Nourish and Flourish June 1, 2012 at 1:31 am

Fitness will ALWAYS be a passion of mine! However, over the past year, my definition has evolved tremendously. I used to believe that I had to sweat buckets in order to be considered active; now I know that is so far from reality. I thank God every day that my eyes have been opened–that I can now enjoy fitness in all forms and celebrate what it does for my body, both physically and emotionally. :) Sounds so cheesy, but I really mean it! :-p

The process really does make us stronger, doesn’t it? I’m so glad you’re embracing it and growing! And guuurl, you’re in the BAHAMAS!! Savor every minute!! I’m living vicariously through all of your Instagram pics. :)

Huge hugs!! xoxo <3
Sara @ Nourish and Flourish recently posted..Scenes from the Weekend: Embracing {NOW}

LCCotter June 1, 2012 at 6:19 am

i think we went through that same workout transition together. everytime i read you posts i nodded my head. yes yes. It does make us stronger, amen!

Sable@SquatLikeALady June 1, 2012 at 6:59 am

I love you because you are so wise! It’s so tempting to jump right back into intense workouts and it takes a smart person to hold back =)

LCCotter June 1, 2012 at 10:41 am

and i love you more for encouraging me to do so! <3

Adri @FoodieBeFit June 1, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Is that spirit of dealing with what life gives us and making it work that makes us greater and stronger. And of course, views like that make it a lot easier. Enjoy!
Adri @FoodieBeFit recently posted..Friday {Five} Faves

LCCotter June 1, 2012 at 5:31 pm

yes, that is a great point. It makes life easier, as it should be. No beating yourself up about it. <3