Hey Now…

by lindsay cotter on May 1, 2012

149955862562749576_FV5eYbDR

Goodness I love that quote. It struck a chord with me. But the bottom website needs to be changed. Well, at least in my opinion.

You see, I think it should be www.livelifejoyously.com instead of happy. Happiness is a feeling that is so fragile. It comes and goes like a wave of womanly hormones. Up one minute and down the next. Haha.

But JOY… Joy is an appreciation of life. It’s a feeling of blessed awareness. It’s seeing the day moment by moment and embracing it.

I will admit, for the past few years we have been chasing happiness. Grabbing on to a moment of it here or there and then feeling empty when it is gone. A glimpse of hope, a touch of healing, a moment of success. Yes, that happiness is fragile. We can feel happy about what is to come, but then that moment passes and we’re almost at a loss.

Like that euphoric feeling of crossing the finish line. Happiness. A feeling of accomplishment, strength, and determination all played out. Wow, pretty amazing. But that happiness fades like the sun and we’re left with that “what now?” feeling.

IMG_20120422_095751

I’ve been there, I’ve done that (I still do that at times). But then I realized I wanted more. And I think God made it very aware that HE wanted me (us) to have more as well.

Capture

I heard HIM whispering… “Lindsay, stop worrying about the future, seek ME NOW. I will give you JOY!.”

Chase JOY….NOW

Be thankful…. NOW

Don’t fear the future…

Don’t regret the past…

Chase JOY…Not Happiness

LIVE LIFE…..NOW!

Don’t waste another moment… enJOY NOW! Winking smile

plt

No rhyme or reason to my post today. Just some Cotter Corniness Oozing out of me. Must be hormones. haha! Winking smile

Oh and don’t forget to check out Tuesday trainer this week. There’s a special hostess of the mostess!

tt1

What are you chasing NOW?

Hoping to throw in a life/training update soon. Still waiting on test results and some other things to pan out. BUT… We’re focusing on the NOW! Right? Smile with tongue out

libby May 1, 2012 at 8:05 am

I think this is about the best post I’ve EVER read. you are so right and that quote is going to be front and center for me these next few weeks since I’m in the last month of my 20′s. thanks for this :) :) :) glad chloe introduced me on twitter, love your blog!

LCCotter May 1, 2012 at 5:15 pm

yes! enjoy those last weeks in your 20′s, then EMBRACE your 30′s full force Libby! Love it! Glad we found each other too. xxoo

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean May 1, 2012 at 8:15 am

omg love that quote so much!!!
Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean recently posted..Take Time to Say Thanks

LCCotter May 1, 2012 at 5:16 pm

agreed. sometimes we just need to hear those words. right?

jobo May 1, 2012 at 8:21 am

This post gave me chills. You are amazing. Resilient. Focused. JOYFUL. You are so right, there is a huge difference between happiness and joy. So well put. I am inspired. As always. XOXO (and looking forward to your updates!)
jobo recently posted..Stories that Define Me: on friendship.

LCCotter May 1, 2012 at 5:16 pm

oh man, you are my light and my inspiration. so coming from you, this means a lot. LOVE LOVE you!

Beth May 1, 2012 at 8:24 am

Love the quotes, and the sentiment! I think we all need reminders not to get caught up in the small stuff.
Beth recently posted..WordCount Challenge

LCCotter May 1, 2012 at 5:17 pm

totally beth, it’s so hard not to sweat the small stuff but so worth it in the end to not worry.

Heather (Where's the Beach) May 1, 2012 at 8:33 am

I think this makes perfect sense – I totally see the rhyme/reason for it. And it’s such a great reminder to enJOY each and every moment even if we aren’t happy per se, it doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy or find some joy in some aspect. Even something like a smile from a stranger or watching your pups play in the yard.
Heather (Where’s the Beach) recently posted..Tex-Mex Quinoa Stuffed Poblano Peppers

LCCotter May 1, 2012 at 5:18 pm

i think, wait.. I KNOW thats why i love you and your enJOY lists. <3

Jess May 1, 2012 at 8:35 am

You are SUCH a beautiful soul, my friend. I love everything about the words you shared here — that emotion, “joy” is so beautiful and uplifting and nourishing for the soul. Thank you for reminding me to ultimately seek joy over happiness. In all things. xoxo
Jess recently posted..In.

LCCotter May 1, 2012 at 5:18 pm

yes, it is nourishment. well said jess! i love that. JOY FOOD! love you.

Shannon May 1, 2012 at 8:46 am

Great post! Definitely gets the brain going!

And I should FINALLY be getting my Chobani this weekend!
Shannon recently posted..It’s About Time!

LCCotter May 1, 2012 at 5:17 pm

hooooray for chobani love!

janae@hungryrunnergirl.com May 1, 2012 at 9:20 am

Your posts always bring me UP. Tuesdays are my least favorite days at work and I am so glad that I started my day with this…I feel completely different now! I get that ‘what now’ feeling a lot and you are right, now is the time to stop worrying about the future and enJOY life right now:) Beautiful post.

LCCotter May 1, 2012 at 5:19 pm

oh friend, i hope you are almost done with you day and FULL OF JOY! You have a lot going on, i know it’s hard not to worry. But God has everything planned out for you and your sweet family. It’s beautiful… so enJOY! <3

Adri @ FoodieBeFit May 1, 2012 at 9:21 am

So true! I love that you write about some deeper things in your blog, I have still to get the courage to do so and open up more on a personal level. I am reading this book that I think you might really enjoy, is called “One Tousand Gifts” by Ann Voskamp. About “daring to fully live right were we are” in communion with God and the importance of gratitude and thanksgiving. Can’t even begin to tell you the impact is making on me. I would gladly lend it to you when I am done, feel free to email me.
Adri @ FoodieBeFit recently posted..Versatile Blogger Award

Adri @ FoodieBeFit May 1, 2012 at 10:39 am

*Thousand
Adri @ FoodieBeFit recently posted..Versatile Blogger Award

LCCotter May 1, 2012 at 11:58 am

OH i want to read that book!! i heard great things! Where did you buy it? Thanks for you kind words Adri!

Adri @ FoodieBeFit May 1, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Amazon. They always have the lowest prices in books ;)
Adri @ FoodieBeFit recently posted..Versatile Blogger Award

Allie May 1, 2012 at 9:31 am

I love your definition of joy! So true. :) Life is all about being in the present moment and enjoying here and now!
Allie recently posted..Recent eats

LCCotter May 1, 2012 at 5:20 pm

amen amen! i know you live that each day Allie. so thank you!

Klh May 1, 2012 at 9:32 am

Great post Linds! Chasing happiness, I.feel.you. To live in the now seems like such a foreign concept but i need to embrace it…thank you for the reminder :)
Miss you!

LCCotter May 1, 2012 at 5:21 pm

oh my gosh it totally does. but then again, i think we need to be get cozy with foreign in order to adapt. YEs?

katie @KatieDid May 1, 2012 at 9:34 am

I hope you are finding answers with your training/life! I’ve been keeping you in my thoughts on that front. I think when we stop focusing on chasing that happiness feeling is when we settle in and really just live it. If that makes sense? I’m most ‘happy’ when I’m not even thinking about trying to be happy.
katie @KatieDid recently posted..Crossfit Progress Pictures

LCCotter May 1, 2012 at 7:32 pm

oh totally agree. when we let go and live is when everything just seems joyous.. yes!

Heather @ Better With Veggies May 1, 2012 at 9:47 am

This gave me chills, you are so right. Happiness is fleeting, Joy is satisfying and fulfilling. Keep chasing God and He will fill you with more joy than you can imagine. Thank you for reminding us all of this today! :)
Heather @ Better With Veggies recently posted..Triathlon Coach In The House!!

LCCotter May 1, 2012 at 7:34 pm

amen amen. Feel God’s presence DAILY.. so easy to get distracted on a to do list, ya know?

Julia @ Pain, Pride, Perseverance May 1, 2012 at 10:19 am

LOVE! i need constant reminders to focus on the NOW…it is something I try to strive for daily but i always love a reminder that just slaps me right in the face and says “dont forget! work on slowing down today!” loved this post…this post was the reminder for me today…to not “just get through it” but to enJoy it :) thinking of you and hoping for good news from the test results!

LCCotter May 1, 2012 at 7:35 pm

totally! i think we should be reminded daily, cause lets face it, it’s hard to focus on NOW~ <3

katie May 1, 2012 at 10:40 am

I live in the NOW every day ;)

Love that quote! Would be a great print to have in the home!

Love you!
katie recently posted..“Mantra May”

LCCotter May 1, 2012 at 7:36 pm

yes you do! and thats why i need my daily diva fix. xoxo

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries May 1, 2012 at 10:52 am

AWESOME post linds. :) i love that first quote. so true. thanks for this today!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Trainer Tuesday: Tabata Cardio Workout

LCCotter May 1, 2012 at 7:37 pm

thank you for being part of my NOW! xoxo

Kris | iheartwellness.com May 1, 2012 at 11:39 am

I Love you!!! I always come here for reminders on how to be the best me possible and remind me to tune into my guide, my passion and my love.

I know you’re getting the perfect direction for you and you just need to listen every second…how amazing, huh??

Kris | iheartwellness.com recently posted..My First Time…For Many Things, Let Me Get You Up To Speed!

LCCotter May 1, 2012 at 7:37 pm

totally Kris. Good things are happening, we just need to focus on the progress. Love that!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) May 1, 2012 at 1:39 pm

I love reading your inspirational words regardless of wether they are hormone based or not!
Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) recently posted..Creamy Cauliflower Casserole and Kitchen Adventures!

LCCotter May 1, 2012 at 7:44 pm

well we both know how hormones make us talk more. haha. <3

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers May 1, 2012 at 1:49 pm

This is *usually* when I’d say something like, “stupid hormones” – but not today! The inspiration for this post, hormones or whatever else, created something lovely, and I appreciated it.

Have a joyous day!
Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers recently posted..Phase Three: Bring it on!

LCCotter May 1, 2012 at 7:44 pm

and I’d love you even more for saying that Tiff. Hormonal or not. haha.

Rachelle May 1, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Wonderful post Lindsey. With your husbands profession it is so so difficult to find balance. There seems to constantly be the “highs” and the “lows”. I experience them with every training cycle I do. So exciting to reach goals but so depressing to move on after crossing that finish line.

I wish you all the joy in the world because you totally deserve it!

LCCotter May 1, 2012 at 7:46 pm

yes yes, i knew you could relate. Focusing on what we are living now is the best way to keep things UP! ya know?

Heather @ For the Love of Kale May 1, 2012 at 3:24 pm

This is so beautiful, Lindsey! I loooove that quotes. You’re so right – it is HIM who gives us joy. The second we forget it, we lose ourselves. Love that reminder.:-) xoxo
Heather @ For the Love of Kale recently posted..A Good Kombucha & An Epic Dinner Date

LCCotter May 1, 2012 at 7:48 pm

TOTALLY! So let’s not forget. Make this a DAILY reminder, like exercise!

Christine @ Oatmeal Bowl May 1, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Oooo… I love both quotes.
Riding the highs and lows as they come. And when you are older, it will be these moments you most remember. Nice. I needed this post pep talk.
Christine @ Oatmeal Bowl recently posted..10 Best Low-Calorie Drinks for Cinco de Mayo

LCCotter May 1, 2012 at 7:49 pm

and i needed that advice, thank you Christine. We will remember these moments and tuck them in our pockets.

Lou May 1, 2012 at 3:26 pm

I’m chasing the half of my blog that I deleted. Boo. Technology and me are not on good terms. Sometimes I really think my Mother dropped me on my head as a small baby… she denies this, but I know it is true. At least your lovely post made me smile :) Email me about your care pack too!
Lou recently posted..more bars for Viper

LCCotter May 1, 2012 at 7:48 pm

what? No! i hate it when that happends. BUGGER! I think we were both dropped on our heads, but thats okay, it makes us special. hehe. LOVE U LOU!

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama May 1, 2012 at 4:26 pm

Oh, I love checking in with you! Your writing always gives me a little reminder to do a life check. Joy is where it’s at. Maybe I should change my blog name to Joy Fit Mama? :)
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..Let the Headstand Pose Challenge Begin!

LCCotter May 1, 2012 at 7:47 pm

YOU SHOULD!! JOYOUS Fit Mama! Cause that what you are. Amazing Angela!

Sarah May 1, 2012 at 5:22 pm

Agreed! It is good to have a plan for the future but to enjoy the moment you are in now. That has always been a struggle of mine. Always excited about the next step. Moving forward and then I realized how much good was in my past. How much fun I had. I sometimes wished I would have taken the time to enjoy it more and not worry so much about getting further. So now I really try hard to enjoy my life today.

Great post :)
Sarah recently posted..Eating Before a Race

LCCotter May 1, 2012 at 7:50 pm

true true sarah, we are the same. a struggle but one we are working on letting go!!

Lisa May 1, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Goodness that quote is brilliant! I love it. Another great and inspirational post from you! I have to stop “living in the future” and just live my best life NOW!
Lisa recently posted..Comfortable Being Uncomfortable

LCCotter May 1, 2012 at 7:51 pm

yes. One day at a time. Finding joy in the small things… right?

kalli May 1, 2012 at 5:46 pm

what a fabulous quote Lindsay! thank you for sharing. so true. this is it :) find the joy in our everyday life and enjoy. i love it. thank you my friend!
kalli recently posted..Weekend Snippets

LCCotter May 1, 2012 at 7:52 pm

i think i see more joy in these days. the running and sunrises alone are a great glimpse of appreciation. AMAZING Kalli!

Paige @ Running Around Normal May 1, 2012 at 6:46 pm

I need to remind myself of this DAILY. Love this quote, too :)
Paige @ Running Around Normal recently posted..Healthy Living Survey

LCCotter May 1, 2012 at 7:51 pm

i need it hourly. haha. xoxo

Julie May 1, 2012 at 7:18 pm

mmmm I do love good reflective and inspiring post. thanks for making me smile good friend. xoxo
Julie recently posted..a PB Crave tasting party

LCCotter May 1, 2012 at 7:50 pm

oh woman, your smile alone inspires me daily. It’s JOYOUS!

Bekah May 1, 2012 at 8:04 pm

Wow…needed this today. Check out what SeeMomRunFar posted today, too! Must be in the air. :)

JOY to you, lovely lady.
Bekah recently posted..Quick Update on the Hipster

Laura @ LauraLivesLife May 1, 2012 at 8:12 pm

This post (and that quote) was exactly what I needed to hear – I find it so easy to worry, and so hard to just be happy and live in the moment. I’m realizing that we get our good times to help us to be strong and build faith for the hard times – but if I don’t take advantage of these times because I’m worrying about what might go wrong, I’m rejecting his blessings. I definitely don’t want to do that OR live like that!

My thoughts are always with you – your attitude is amazing and a total inspiration!
Laura @ LauraLivesLife recently posted..Why I decided I needed a running coach

LCCotter May 1, 2012 at 9:19 pm

oh well said. And who wants to reject blessings?! We need to HOLD tight to them. Yes!

penny May 1, 2012 at 10:35 pm

love this post!

LCCotter May 2, 2012 at 5:22 am

so good to hear from you Penny. xoxo

Christine @ Love, Life, Surf May 2, 2012 at 12:02 am

That quote is pretty amazing. AND I love that you changed it from happy to joy. You are absolutely right that happiness is much more fleeting and fragile and joy…that’s a completely different story. That pure and utter elation and life loving. I love reading your posts.
Christine @ Love, Life, Surf recently posted..Under Armour Women – What’s Beautiful

Heather May 2, 2012 at 12:26 am

I love that quote. It resonates with me. Definitely right for my mood today!
Heather recently posted..Live What You Love

Nichole May 2, 2012 at 5:24 am

Your Bible devotions always strike me at the best time, way better than a horoscope. Thank you for sharing these beautiful words friend. And I think I should read this before bed, would help me sleep!

LCCotter May 2, 2012 at 7:59 am

yes, before bedtime! what a perfect way to dream… worry free!

Sarah @ Feeedingbrainandbody May 2, 2012 at 6:31 am

You have no idea how much I love this post!!! My middle name is Joy and most of my life I thought my parents made a huge mistake with the name because I thought Joy =happiness= extrovert. But I read a different description of Joy in “Parables and Peanuts” (a book) and realized that in fact I fit into my middle name more than I thought! Thank you so much for this reminder :)
Sarah @ Feeedingbrainandbody recently posted..Another Ugly “A” Word

LCCotter May 2, 2012 at 7:59 am

oh Sarah, good to hear from you! and I love that your middle name is JOY. I totally see that in you. Your heart is full of it. And that’s what counts.

Fox Peterson May 2, 2012 at 8:27 am

Hi LC! I do wish you lived closer, or more correctly, I wish we lived closer to you (it’s cold here. and windy.)
I am so glad you are embracing joy! Do you like C.S.Lewis? He wrote this beautiful book called “surprised by joy” that is about his religion, and basically his argument for faith is that it is fundamentally about joy! (I can’t do a good job to summarize, guess you’ll have to read it :D ).
PS. Corniness is always welcome and I think often enJOYed. Chicken Soup for the Soul series would have never made it had it not been for everyone’s need for a little bit of corn!
Fox Peterson recently posted..What I ate Wednesday: *change of pace for the week*

LCCotter May 2, 2012 at 11:36 am

I love CS lewis!! I haven’t read that book yet. Might need to get that soon. ANd yes, move here! its 85F today!

Alysia @ Slim Sanity May 2, 2012 at 8:31 am

what a great post! I love it.
Alysia @ Slim Sanity recently posted..let the games begin

LCCotter May 2, 2012 at 11:35 am

it loves you. hehe. xoxo

Carol May 2, 2012 at 8:57 am

Reading Bible is one of the way cleaning your soul. It is very helpful because all the story in Bible is from our God.
Carol recently posted..moving rates

LCCotter May 2, 2012 at 11:35 am

i love it, so true. Cleaning the soul and nourishing it too!

Alexis May 2, 2012 at 10:10 am

I love that bible quote. It’s so true. I know I worry way too much about little things and strive for future happiness but what’s the point I should be happy now! :D Thanks for the inspirational post
Alexis recently posted..Who needs a doctor

LCCotter May 2, 2012 at 11:33 am

oh i know, i think we all do. It’s a good reminder that HE is on control!

Samantha May 2, 2012 at 11:44 am

I often need this reminder – I have a serious problem with planning, over planning, thinking, over thinking, and not living in the moment.

I’ve been trying really hard lately to catch the moment and live with it. You never ever know what tomorrow will bring, so why worry and rely so heavily on what MAY happen, when you’re not working on enjoying what IS happening?

You inspire me every single day Lindsay, I love reading your posts! :)
Samantha recently posted..It’s Taper Time!

LCCotter May 2, 2012 at 3:21 pm

you and me both friend. And thats why we have each other! all of us, to help keep that focus and feel FREE! <3

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) May 2, 2012 at 2:29 pm

I LOVE YOU LINDSAY!! I just really needed this reminder today. thank you so much friend <3
Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) recently posted..Your Questions…Answered!

LCCotter May 2, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Oh girl, we all need it. I feel ya! love u!

cassie May 2, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Beautiful and inspiring, Lindsay! I love the thought of “blessed awareness” being that of joy. So good!
cassie recently posted..Wednesday Ramblings – April in Photos

LCCotter May 2, 2012 at 3:22 pm

It’s going to be my new MAY motto! you in?

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail May 2, 2012 at 4:37 pm

I have so much to say with this post! Yes, trust in HIM…but oh, it is so so hard to stay in the present when the future is undetermined.

Your words are so very poignant–I always step back and ponder after reading your thoughts.

LIVE LIFE NOW! I need to put that on a tee!
Jess @ Blonde Ponytail recently posted..5 Ways to Keep Your Fitness Focus

LCCotter May 2, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Yes, lets make tshirts! then put on a race and LIVE IT LOUD! LIVE IT NOW!! How cool would that be?

Kath (My Funny Little Life) May 2, 2012 at 4:47 pm

That’s an amazing quote! And yes yes yes for living in the moment!!!! :D

Hope you’re *happy* and fine! :D
Kath (My Funny Little Life) recently posted..Venice with the Family

LCCotter May 2, 2012 at 9:09 pm

Thank you friend. Yes, happy getting to my JOY!

Kristin @ STUFT Mama May 2, 2012 at 6:40 pm

LOVE that quote. Your posts always make me want to just BREATHE and PRAY. Yes, focus on NOW. :) You’re so wise friend. I wish you were closer. Praying for you and your tests you’re watinig on, etc. And I’m still drooling over those healthy bites you posted on FB. :)
Kristin @ STUFT Mama recently posted..The Reveal Part Two- Advice and a Cupcake

LCCotter May 2, 2012 at 9:07 pm

thank you friend. Praying for you too! I love that we can do that for each other.

teabagginit May 2, 2012 at 8:31 pm

i’m chasing the peace that comes when the chase ends. i’m trying to stop chasing joy and realize that i am living joy. i have all the joy i need, right inside me. i’m chasing that empowerment that comes from knowing that i have all the strength i need to stop, take a breath, and just live in my own skin.
teabagginit recently posted..You win some You lose some

LCCotter May 2, 2012 at 9:08 pm

amen! Girl, you are saying exactly what I am thinking. Let’s do it!

Jan May 2, 2012 at 10:20 pm

LOVE IT. Thanks for the reminder!
Jan recently posted..Compliance vs. Engagement

LCCotter May 3, 2012 at 6:15 am

<3 that's what we're here for. Right?

Heather @ Dietitian on the Run May 4, 2012 at 6:46 am

That quote puts an interesting perspective on age! We’re old and young – whatever our brain decides to act on, in the moment.

I think you’re onto something with the {fleeting} happiness vs. {lasting} joy. One of my favorite quotes – “Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognize how good things really are.” -Marianne Williamson
Heather @ Dietitian on the Run recently posted..Broad Street Bound

LCCotter May 4, 2012 at 8:36 am

yes yes! totally! it’s a daily focus too. We get fixated on striving towards unfulfilling things, ya know? Love that quote!

jennyv May 7, 2012 at 8:25 am

Late to the party on this one — but so glad I read this post! Joy comes from the soul of our being. I am working on letting joy spill out instead of chasing moments of happiness. Thank you for your words!

LCCotter May 7, 2012 at 11:35 am

TOTALLY Jenny! and you’re never late, its perfect timing today!

Missy May 9, 2012 at 9:56 am

this is really beautiful, Linds and exactly what i needed TODAY and NOW…so maybe my reader being backed up is a good thing!)
Missy recently posted..Nightmare Mom

LCCotter May 9, 2012 at 12:27 pm

it is a good thing. And i am glad i caught you eye with this one. I miss you and so happy to hear from YOU!