80/20 Friday

by lindsay cotter on April 20, 2012

80/20. That’s a good ratio, right? Except for vision. Winking smile

I like to think that I live an 80/20 ratio with a majority of things in my life. 80% of the time working towards wellness and balance, 20% not giving a hoot.

For instance, yesterday we left for 9hr car ride to NOLA (race weekend), and my 80/20 was totally put into action.

80% of the time of LOVE road trips. The adventure, the memories, etc. Plus who doesn’t like looking at this cute face.

IMG_20120419_134459

20% of the time I dislike road trips. Although I am lucky I am the passenger. But my brain turns to mush trying to come up with car games for 9 hrs.

80% of the time we pack healthy gluten free snacks and drinks for our road trips (thank you larabar and love grown granola!!!)

IMG_20120417_165639lara lime

20% of the time we give into our sugar and caffeine cravings. This usually happens after 6+ hours in the car. A whole new kind of entertainment emerges as well. Smile with tongue out

IMG_20120418_161855IMG_20120419_185808

80% of the time I love stopping in “small town” USA to take pictures and admire it’s character.

IMG_20120419_152915

20% of the time I ask the “driver” to put the pedal to the metal and GET THEE TO OUR DESTINATION. Again, this usually happens after 6+ hours in the car.

IMG_20120420_075307

80% of the time of the time I think of fun or informative blog topics to post about.

20% of the time I totally check out and you’re stuck with random. Consider this blog post that 20%. Winking smile

Do you have a 80/20 ratio in your life?

I hear my race SHERPA named being called.

Scott Ennis April 20, 2012 at 11:31 am

80% of the time my jokes are funny! 20% of the time people are good at fake laughing! So 100% of the time my perception works in my favor!

LCCotter April 20, 2012 at 1:02 pm

i think you are 100% funny. :P

Christine @ Oatmeal Bowl April 20, 2012 at 11:36 am

I like your random post. And you crack me up with, “A whole new kind of entertainment emerges as well”.

I LOVE road trips 80% of the time, too. But definitely agree that the last 20% of the trip I want the pedal to the medal too.

LCCotter April 20, 2012 at 1:03 pm

i think we would road trip well together.

Sable@SquatLikeALady April 20, 2012 at 11:41 am

Haha oh you knowwwwwwww I relate to this! I think I’d be perfectly happy to never go on another roadtrip again though. 3 cross-country moves in 3 years is enough! haha!

LCCotter April 20, 2012 at 1:02 pm

oh yes, you deserve way more than 80/20 for that trip!! xxoo

Siobhan April 20, 2012 at 11:47 am

I love this random post!!

It’s such a good idea to think about your 80/20. Coffee is definitely in my 80 column and I should probably work on moving it to the 20 since my friends started to say, “this is how Siobhan must feel after two cups of coffee in the morning!” haha

Happy Race Weekend!

LCCotter April 20, 2012 at 12:28 pm

haha, i think we are the same there! Will have to steal that line.

Heather @ Better With Veggies April 20, 2012 at 11:49 am

It might be random, but this was a fun post! Have a great time in NOLA – I think the run course is similar to the marathon course I ran. Tell James to watch his footing, the roads are kind of bad. :)

LCCotter April 20, 2012 at 12:29 pm

thanks heather! they just changed the course due to weather. EEK! but i hope it still is part of the marathon course.

Alexandra April 20, 2012 at 11:59 am

I love this post so much!! Roadtrips are always so much fun…except when you just wanna get there already haha
Let’s see….80% of the time I dress in comfy workout clothes and 20% of the time I wear real girl clothes ;)
Have fun in NOLA and eat some beignets for me!

LCCotter April 20, 2012 at 12:28 pm

oh yes, i agree. i live in my workout clothes probably 99% of the time.

Heather (Where's the Beach) April 20, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Fun fun!! What city was that hotel in? I think I’ve passed that one before on trips to FL.

LCCotter April 20, 2012 at 12:27 pm

oh gosh, not sure. close to houston though!

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty April 20, 2012 at 12:22 pm

I like this post! it’s cute! Makes me think of what I do 80/20!! :) more like 20/80! ha

LCCotter April 20, 2012 at 12:26 pm

haha, no shame there. how are you friend?

Laura @ LauraLivesLife April 20, 2012 at 12:37 pm

80% of the time I love running/20% of the time it makes me cry! 100% of the time I hate tapering, but I think I could learn to love that if I could also learn to love the quiet too! Have a great trip and drive (drove?) safe!

LCCotter April 20, 2012 at 1:01 pm

ugh i agree! tapering is the worst. hang in there. happy race weekend to YOU!

jobo April 20, 2012 at 12:39 pm

I love the 80/20 rule!! That is so true. Everything in moderation. Though I 80% of the time hate road trips. Maybe with M I would like them tho ;-) good luck this weekend!!!!

LCCotter April 20, 2012 at 1:00 pm

i am sure you would love road trips with M. like to TEXAS!

Kris April 20, 2012 at 12:50 pm

80/20 is a good way to be! (I love the 20% not giving a hoot!) :D

happy race weekend – good luck!

LCCotter April 20, 2012 at 1:01 pm

not giving a hoot is kinda better too, eh? <3 you

Bre April 20, 2012 at 1:02 pm

wow…6+ hours before the double shot?! dang…I’m impressed. I believe the coffee on roadtrips should be consumed at an average pace of 1 grande/2hrs. ;) I’d be 80/20 but reversed of what you said- 80% of the time I give in to the coffee and 20% of the time I drink a non-caffienated beverage! ;)
can’t wait to hear more about NOLA…so jealous and wishing I was there with y’all and see New Orleans…and race too.

LCCotter April 20, 2012 at 1:04 pm

LOL! I was suprised too. although he did have 2 FRS drinks before we left. haha.

Rachelle April 20, 2012 at 1:03 pm

So so glad to hear you made it safely to your destination. Best of luck to the hubs this weekend.

I think I might be more of a 50/50 gal myself. :0 Just can’t ever seem to make up my mind. haha

LCCotter April 20, 2012 at 1:03 pm

50/50 is more fun! hope you are recovering well. xxoo

She Rocks Fitness April 20, 2012 at 1:25 pm

GOOD LUCK this weekend to the hubs and to you being the best dang SHERPA out there! I’m usually 80/20 on the weekends and it usually involves food and alcohol. It’s my time to let go, relax, eat good food, and zone out…It’s the weekend, so bring on that 80/20! ;)

LCCotter April 20, 2012 at 1:44 pm

yea, thanks friend! wish you were here to have fun in NOLA with me!

Jess April 20, 2012 at 1:33 pm

HA! I love your 80/20 rule — and that this post fell into the “20%” category!! Hehe, I would’ve loved to join you two on your road trip, even though very lonnnnnng, I’m sure we could put our heads together to come up with some fun car games to pass the time (how about this one: “how many healthy bites can you fit in your mouth at one time?” haha oh man, I’m totally slap happy today, clearly, don’t mind me!!)

LCCotter April 20, 2012 at 1:44 pm

LOL! i gotta try that game. next road trip for sure. maybe with YOU!

Currie Rose April 20, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Great post! It reminds me of the importance of balance in life. I hope you had a fun road trip (I do so love me a good roadtrip….nothing like moving… not staying still to perk me up).

As for my 80/20… well, 80 percent of the time I eat truly healthy yummy food… and the other 20 percent of the time I’m telling myself I will eat healthier tomorrow while I shove icecream in my face. :)

Have a great day!
Currie

LCCotter April 20, 2012 at 1:43 pm

ohh no i am craving ice cream. haha.

kalli April 20, 2012 at 1:49 pm

ha ha loved this post! i can’t wait to hear how it goes. enjoy and enjoy the 20%. i love that ratio!

LCCotter April 20, 2012 at 4:04 pm

i’ll start with a glass of wine tonight for that 20%

Allie April 20, 2012 at 2:20 pm

totally have 80% sweets on my mind right now and 20% healthy food on the brain. I def cant EVEN imagine what I will be like SUNDAY after my FIRST Half marathon. Kinda NOT sure how I will be and what I will wanna eat haha

Good luck to your hubby this weekend! and i loved the post!

LCCotter April 20, 2012 at 4:04 pm

yea!! best of luck this weekend!!

J.L. April 20, 2012 at 3:12 pm

VERY creative! 80% of the time I put things into numbers because I’m a math geek. 20% of the time my brain can’t make change at the gas station. Good luck to you both this weekend!

LCCotter April 20, 2012 at 4:04 pm

haha, sounds like you brain needs a break.

Kim K April 20, 2012 at 4:20 pm

So glad i got to be part of your road trip yesterday!! Lots and lots of good luck wishes to JC and you are seriously the #1 sherpa of all times.

80% of the time i wished i never had to work again and could live on the beach. 20% of the time, im sleeping so i dont think about that ;)

Lou April 20, 2012 at 5:06 pm

Is that coffee in a can?!

Nothing wrong with caffeine… I cannot live without my daily cup(s). mmmm – bet your missing the NZ coffee, they really know their stuff over there.

I’m random probably 95% of the time :)

LCCotter April 20, 2012 at 9:46 pm

i would say its crack in a can, good crack, with a little sugar. haha. I miss FLAT whites!

Lisa April 20, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Good luck to your hubs this weekend!! Glad to know you arrived safe. I am always good with road trips for the first 2 hours, then I just want to get there already! Have a great weekend! :D

LCCotter April 20, 2012 at 9:47 pm

ditto! over 3 hrs is brutal. haha

LizAshlee April 20, 2012 at 5:58 pm

I think 80/20 is pretty much right on…stop when your about 80 percent full…eat clean 80 percent of the time..it looks like you are right on!!! :) Safe travels…and I am right there with you in regards to car trips!

LCCotter April 20, 2012 at 9:47 pm

oh so true. 80% full means content. I like that Liz

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) April 20, 2012 at 5:59 pm

This is so spot on! I’m the same way when we go to conventions! I try to keep things lively for sure so Tony stays pumped. Good luck to James and have fun at Cafe Du Monde!

LCCotter April 20, 2012 at 9:52 pm

yea, wish you were to explore with me and survive the road trip. haha. Did you get my email reply BTW?

Natalie O (@WillJogForFood) April 20, 2012 at 6:53 pm

I hear you on road trips! My trip from FL to CA was great mostly but had some crappy times for sure. This is the game we played every day in the car… “Dem Cows are Mine”. We played from 8am to 6pm . The person that has the highest points at the end of the day wins! You have to say the words in quotes to get the points :)

+1 pt – “Dem Cows are mine” if you see cows (1 pasture is 1 pt)
+1 for you and -1 for opponent – “Milk Cow” If you see a milk truck
-1 pt (for opponent) – “Dead Cow” if you see roadkill
- All pts (for opponent) – “All your cows died” – if you see a cemetery

You can go negative in the game, so if you see a barn you yell “Zombie Barn!” to get from negative to Zero cows.

It’s fun!

LCCotter April 20, 2012 at 9:48 pm

oh my gosh too fun! youre a lifesaver natalie!! DEM COWS are DEAD!

Tessa @ Amazing Asset April 20, 2012 at 7:03 pm

80/20 seems spot on to me! That seems like a magic number that can be incorporated into several aspects of life… love your use of the 80/20 :)
Have a nice weekend dear!

Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health April 20, 2012 at 7:09 pm

Love this Linds! Hope your travels are/were safe! Good luck to the hubs for racing this weekend! I would love to go back to New Orleans. I haven’t been since I was like 11 haha and I think I would enjoy it! Btw, have you heard anything from the doctor yet?? I would say that 80% of the time I am pretty okay with my body and the other 20% not so much…it’s a work in progress!

LCCotter April 20, 2012 at 9:49 pm

yes, we’ve gotten some results back. still waiting on the biospy. working on my diet right now to heal my gut. Good progress though! thank U!

Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health April 21, 2012 at 9:35 am

Aw good Linds! Can’t wait til everything starts healing and feeling better for you!

katie April 20, 2012 at 7:14 pm

80% of the time I am CRAZY, 20% I am somewhat sane ;)

Yup Yup, just ask my son and husband, although they would say 100% crazy, haha!

Good luck hubby!! <3

LCCotter April 20, 2012 at 9:51 pm

and i am 100% crazy with YOU! love it. <3

Abby @ Change of Pace April 20, 2012 at 7:40 pm

Great post- I bet you could actually apply the 80/20 rule to lots of things in life! And, impressive that you only give in to non-healthy road trip snacks 20% of the time…I think that one’s 50/50 for me!

LCCotter April 20, 2012 at 9:51 pm

okay so it is more 50/50 but i start off with 80/20, haha.

Heather @ For the Love of Kale April 20, 2012 at 9:39 pm

Love this. It’s all about balance, huh? I totally have an 80/20 ratio in my life too. 100% is boring and stifling. ;-) I’m in love with your attitude…I look forward to reading every day, Lindsay!!!

LCCotter April 20, 2012 at 9:50 pm

100% boring to you but not me! Love it Heather!

Christine @ Love, Life, Surf April 20, 2012 at 10:09 pm

I definitely try to live by the 80/20 rule. I used to love long road trips. Love stumbling upon new and unexpected things as well as zone out on the road (of course not literally zoning out). However, the entrance of children into my life have completely changed my perspective on being stuck in a car for more than 15 minutes.

LCCotter April 21, 2012 at 10:32 am

i have a feeling that will change with children. Thats when ask the grandparents to babysitt, right? haha

teabagginit April 20, 2012 at 10:27 pm

80/20 = sanity. 80% of the time i try really hard to give myself a break. 20% of the time i forgive myself for being a perfectionist and just deal with it! after all, it does not good to keep beating myself up … for beating myself up!

LCCotter April 21, 2012 at 10:31 am

oh ya, well said. can’t beat ourselves us for that. trying is half the battle.

hillary April 20, 2012 at 11:18 pm

all the best to the hubs and team cotter this wknd! i will be following online and cheering. sending you both lots of strength!!

LCCotter April 21, 2012 at 9:50 am

oh Hill, thank you! we appreciate all your cheering. How’s training for you friend?

Mamarunsbarefoot April 21, 2012 at 9:57 am

Hmm 20% of the time I actually like road trips. 80% I love stopping for coffee in a small little coffee shop.

LCCotter April 21, 2012 at 10:30 am

yes, those small town coffee stops are sometimes worth the drive… maybe? haha

Jan April 21, 2012 at 10:01 pm

So funny, and so true! Although, I think your funny and informative blog post statistic is way about 80%!

LCCotter April 22, 2012 at 4:02 pm

oh thanks jan, and i think youre awesome 100% of the time.

Jan April 22, 2012 at 5:18 pm

OMG, I MEANT to say your statistic is way ABOVE 80% Geesh! That came out kinda rude the way I wrote it. LOL

Klh April 22, 2012 at 3:30 pm

80/20 sounds pretty good to me :)
Hope the race and travels went well!
Miss you Linds!

LCCotter April 22, 2012 at 4:02 pm

not so good, but live and learn. yes? Miss you. How’s KT?

Kath (My Funny Little Life) April 22, 2012 at 5:46 pm

I think 80/20 is a very good thing to go for. Losely-fix perfection! :D

LCCotter April 22, 2012 at 8:57 pm

losely fix, i like that word! hope you got some rest this weekend Kath. xoxo

Carol April 23, 2012 at 10:28 am

80/20 is a very good stuff. i love you post :) love much!

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning April 24, 2012 at 9:18 am

80% of the time I’m tired.
20% I’m wide awake. I need to flip that ratio. This whole work thing sucks.

LCCotter April 24, 2012 at 12:18 pm