Forget-me-Nots…

by lindsay cotter on February 21, 2012

Today is a day I cannot forget. I mean, I forget a lot and I mean A LOT, but not today. I remembered the important things today.

Like TUESDAY TRAINER! You see, it’s actually Wednesday here, so remembering Tuesday Trainer is a BIG DEAL, right Linz? Anyway, this one is too FUN to miss out on, so go check it out now…. before you forget!

Capture2

Capture

tt1

I didn’t forget to cross off my last task on my New Zealand TO-DO list. Yep, the yo-yo’s were made and half are already demolished. Winking smile

o-matic

And I certainly didn’t forget to lick the bowl. Who could forget that?

Recipe to follow……

o-matic6

And last but not least…..

I most DEFINITELY cannot forget the ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY for the Christchurch earthquake.

DSC02441.JPGDSC02457.JPGDSC02459.JPGo-matic

Yes, it’s been one year and 10,000 after shocks later. I think I have felt about 15 of those aftershocks. Nothing too big, but still a bit scary.

The past few days we have watched TV special after TV special about the earthquake. My mother in law remembers it like yesterday, a day that she will NEVER FORGET. She was lucky enough to be off work that day and didn’t have to go into town, where the most damage and destruction was done. We thank GOD for that. We thank GOD for keeping other family safe as well. And we thank GOD for not letting us forget the courageous people and community that brought this town back up and out of the rubble.

So here’s to Christchurch and the people who make this town so amazing and beautiful! Here’s to another year of healing, rebuilding, and growing stronger.

DSC02445.JPGDSC02447.JPGDSC02455.JPGDSC02456.JPGDSC02442.JPG

xoxo

Let’s Not Forget the Goodness today.

k?

Lou February 21, 2012 at 9:20 am

well said.

Can’t believe it’s been a year…. Chch has been through so much. Too much for one city to have to deal with really. ‘Tis a strong community for sure.

Did hubs approve of the Yo-yos? Did you?!? :)

LCCotter February 21, 2012 at 5:44 pm

I know, poor little city. What a year. I am just praying this it is all over. The yo-yo’s were a huge success. Only 3 left out of 10. haha. But i think they are WAY sweet! they are not GF so i only tried the filling. I was going to use corn flour but it was so messy just to make the original. haha.

Miz February 21, 2012 at 10:05 am

I couldnt sleep so I seized the meditation and gratitude and GOODNESS focusing time for ME.
now Im ok to focus on others.

have a great day!

LCCotter February 21, 2012 at 5:44 pm

oh good, glad you made use of insomnia but sorry you couldn’t sleep. Praying for a great day full of energy and goodness Miz Carla.

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers February 21, 2012 at 11:08 am

Wow, a year already? I hope the rebuilding efforts are going well.

LCCotter February 21, 2012 at 6:19 pm

they are going well and its very cool to see. powerful!

Tara February 21, 2012 at 11:38 am

Oh my goodness a whole year! Time flies doesn’t it? All those aftershocks must have been terrifying. I hope the rebuilding is going well! I’m sure it’s made the city a stronger community as a result!

LCCotter February 21, 2012 at 6:20 pm

i just can’t believe how many after shocks there were/are! still going. But yes, they are growing stronger each day here! very cool. Hey how was montreal?

Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama February 21, 2012 at 11:48 am

Got it. Remember the goodness. Have a great day! :-)

LCCotter February 21, 2012 at 6:04 pm

and i’d say you have a lot of goodness, yes?
xoxo

Tessa @ Amazing Asset February 21, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Wow I cannot believe it has already been a year! How fast time is going by is rather alarming…. I hope the rebuilding is continuing to go well of course :)

LCCotter February 21, 2012 at 6:08 pm

to see the rebuilding in person is amazing. Truly a community that has come together! thanks Tessa for such kind words of encouragement.

katie February 21, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Never ever forget the goodness of life <3

Time really goes by fast, crazy how it can sneak up on you!

Happy day to you love! <3

LCCotter February 21, 2012 at 6:09 pm

cause there is so much good to remember, i know you know that!

Heather @ Dietitian on the Run February 21, 2012 at 12:32 pm

I’m very curious about those Yo-yos….similar to whoopie pies?? I will definitely not forget to come back and check for that recipe ;)

LCCotter February 21, 2012 at 6:10 pm

no, not like whoopie pies. think short bread cookies stuffed with custard creme. ya, sugar fest!

Alexandra February 21, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Dang I can’t believe it’s been a year since the quake! It’s amazing how resilient those new Zealanders are, the town looks like it’s on the mend and becoming even better than before :)
Hope you have a great day love!

LCCotter February 21, 2012 at 6:12 pm

it’s going to take a LONG time to mend, but i know the heart of this town is getting there. God knows what he’s doing, amen?!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) February 21, 2012 at 12:46 pm

This is beautifully said. I love how you put thongs into perspective. I have learned a lot about pain over the years and I think it’s important to never forget these moments. Hopefully they help to build us and teach us respect for others. I’m glad your mother-in-law was safe. I will think of all the others that suffered a year ago. Thank you for the reminder.

LCCotter February 21, 2012 at 6:13 pm

i totally agree sarena. Heart ache and pain can bring strength in the end, but we have to believe in that strength. yes?

Sarah @ Feeedingbrainandbody February 21, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Amen to remembering the goodness today! That’s something I *try* to remember everyday! I can’t wait for that recipe, looks good :)

LCCotter February 21, 2012 at 6:14 pm

we do need that as a daily reminder. And the fact that we have to try makes it more purposeful. Good to hear from you sarah. Hope all is well!

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean February 21, 2012 at 1:01 pm

can’t believe it’s been a year since then!!! mother nature is so powerful!

LCCotter February 21, 2012 at 6:15 pm

she is powerful and beautiful at the same time. We must be “good” to her too.

Kristabel@RaceReady February 21, 2012 at 1:54 pm

I love it, never forget the goodness…makes me realize that is surrounds all of us.

LCCotter February 21, 2012 at 6:15 pm

makes us all stop and look around, ya know?

katie @KatieDid February 21, 2012 at 1:55 pm

oh man the yo yos look good I bet your husband absolutely loved them, what a lucky guy! And its amazing how such disasters can bring communities together out of necessity to rebuild.

LCCotter February 21, 2012 at 6:16 pm

yes, he ate 4 in one sitting. good thing he’s training. haha. But he had a major sugar crash later. I warned him. I am going to make these with almond meal/coconut milk next. much better!

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning February 21, 2012 at 2:11 pm

You made the yo-yos! Good for you!
We had our own “earthquake” in DC late last summer- but definitely nothing compared to what happened where you are. It’s so inspiring how people just get right back up and re-build. The human character is an amazing thing! (and thanks for the reminder of that!)

LCCotter February 21, 2012 at 6:18 pm

i remember that. Isn’t it crazy. The biggest one we’ve had here was a 5 and that was scary! I can’t imagine the bigger ones. Human character really does shine in those situations, thank goodness too.

Heather (Where's the Beach) February 21, 2012 at 2:17 pm

I can definitely be forgetful about some things. But there are definitely things that we should never forget. Hard to believe it’s been a year.

LCCotter February 21, 2012 at 5:48 pm

yes, like i will never forget you and your goodness! so thank you!

had a dream about you and jess. wish we were all together. How’s the foot?

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries February 21, 2012 at 3:17 pm

i certainly could NEVER forget to lick the bowl. ;) it’s one of my favorite parts of baking!

LCCotter February 21, 2012 at 5:48 pm

it’s the main reason we bake to begin with, right? tee hee.

jobo February 21, 2012 at 3:32 pm

The goodness of today. So well put, yet again, my friend. It’s easy to lose sight of the little things that make up a day. I vow to do more of this very thing too! And those yo’yo’s look SO good!

LCCotter February 21, 2012 at 5:47 pm

the wordness goodness just brings us comfort, yes? goodness to you today!

The Hippie Health Nut February 21, 2012 at 4:28 pm

Wow, I can’t believe it’s been a year either. Woohoo for licking the bowl! ;)

LCCotter February 21, 2012 at 5:47 pm

yes, a gluten free bowl! not sugar free though, haha.

natalie February 21, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Wow. Already a year. That’s crazy. Hugs to you and yours. <3

LCCotter February 21, 2012 at 5:46 pm

thank you natalie. I think we will be hugging a lot today. oxox

Michelle {lively kitchen} February 21, 2012 at 5:38 pm

Cheers to remembering and cherishing all we have.

LCCotter February 21, 2012 at 5:46 pm

cheers indeed! hugs to you and your kiddos.

Lindsay @ fuel my family February 21, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Never heard of a yoyo but it looks delicious! Is it anything like a whoopee pie?

LCCotter February 21, 2012 at 6:21 pm

same concept, different ingredients. think custard and shortbread!

Sabrina @ Radioactive Runner February 21, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Oh my goodness, I find that so emotional and heartbreaking.. to have so much taken away from a community that they have worked so hard towards.

But on a lighter note.. those yo-yo’s sure do look good my friend!

LCCotter February 21, 2012 at 6:21 pm

very emotional, but in the end those emotions are healing. people are genuinly kinder, stronger, etc.

teabagginit February 21, 2012 at 6:14 pm

thank you for spotlighting a disaster/recovery story that i’m not familiar with. it’s sad how some events get the spotlight while others are pushed aside quietly in the US. it’s also important to pay respect and feel grief for all lives lost and to gather strength from all stories of renewal and courage!
your blog inspires, as usual!

LCCotter February 21, 2012 at 6:23 pm

oh gosh, thank you T. It was hard not to share this when you are surrounded by the memories. I can’t even imagine what it was like but i feel their heartache. I also feel their healing.
xoxo

Julia @ Pain, Pride, Perseverance February 21, 2012 at 6:27 pm

a great topic for a post! i dont think i could ever forget to lick the bowl ;) now i just need to work on not forgetting other more important things!

LCCotter February 21, 2012 at 7:17 pm

oh that will happen. Lets not forget how STRONG you are!

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List February 21, 2012 at 6:40 pm

That poor city has been through some stuff, huh!!! Praying for rebirth!
(thanks for the TT love! I can always count on you! And that means more than you know!)

LCCotter February 21, 2012 at 7:17 pm

well i can always count on you for amazing support and inspiration! so its mutual. xoxo

Siobhan February 21, 2012 at 6:56 pm

OK, you’ve convinced me! I NEED YO-YO’S!!

LCCotter February 21, 2012 at 7:16 pm

you do!!! How about i post the recipe soon, k?

JennyV February 21, 2012 at 6:57 pm

So thankful we have s God who restores & renews both spiritually and physically. I just wish many more people would recognize this gift is available to them!

LCCotter February 21, 2012 at 7:16 pm

amen to that JENNY!

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail February 21, 2012 at 6:58 pm

Wow-one whole year and the community is responding and thriving. Prayers to all. Where do you find your inspirations for your posts? So poignant all THE TIME!! :)

LCCotter February 21, 2012 at 7:15 pm

oh you are too kind jess. I think i try to focus on qaulity over quantity when it comes to posting. Just something close to my heart has to be felt, ya know? Or FUNNY! haha.

Stefanie @TheNewHealthy February 21, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Wow, thanks for the reminder to remember all the goodness. I forget way too often.

LCCotter February 21, 2012 at 11:42 pm

oh we all do it. So being mindful of whats around us from time to time is key, yes? xoxo

kalli February 21, 2012 at 9:03 pm

love your homemade delicious goodness! and thank you for reminding us of the one year anniversary. i took a bit of time for some yoga goodness this morning and that has made all the difference :)

LCCotter February 21, 2012 at 11:43 pm

i think yoga goodness makes time slow down a bit, yes? soak it up Kalli. <3

Meg February 21, 2012 at 9:40 pm

You made the yo-yos! Save some for meeee!

p.s. I can’t believe there are still aftershocks a year later! Happy to hear that things are rebuilding.

LCCotter February 21, 2012 at 11:44 pm

i will save you some. or better yet, come and get ‘em. :P

Allie February 21, 2012 at 11:40 pm

I’m glad to hear Christchurch is rebuilding after the earthquakes!

LCCotter February 21, 2012 at 11:45 pm

God has his plans and his ways. So i think in a way, he’s really loved on Christchurch. ya know?

J.L. February 22, 2012 at 12:01 am

The yo-yo’s look awesome. Will definitely be looking for that recipe. “Let’s not forget the goodness today.” Great line, as in, “made me tear up” line.

LCCotter February 22, 2012 at 6:39 am

i know, i felt the same way all day. a tear up kind of day. <3

STUFT mama February 22, 2012 at 6:48 am

Let’s definitely nog forget the goodness today (and everyday). You are always so wise in your posts. :) Sooooo fortunate that your mother-in-law was off work that day. God sure plans things out. I’m off to bed to celebrate the good in today. Hopefully tomorrow will grace me with enough time to email you. :)

LCCotter February 22, 2012 at 8:33 am

i like the use if the word nog anyway, hehe. email whenever, remember NO RUSH!

STUFT mama February 22, 2012 at 6:57 am

I meant “not”. It’s late. :)

Raina February 22, 2012 at 7:11 am

I can’t believe it’s been a year already! Seems like just a month or two ago. Really??

The yo-yos look yummy, but I am hungry for protein and I thought they were eggs on bagels . haha!

LCCotter February 22, 2012 at 6:52 pm

a year, yes. it was a hard day but a healing day for all. Now go get some eggs missy!

Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous! February 22, 2012 at 2:35 pm

I’m sending lots of positive thoughts and prayers to Christchurch today!

LCCotter February 22, 2012 at 6:47 pm

thank you lauren. Prayers are heard, thats for sure. xoxo

Jenn @ A Runner's Road February 22, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Yo-Yo’s are going on my to-do list of recipes! My kids would love them (and us adults too)! As much as it is so disheartening to see such distruction, the strength that people have to carry on is such a beautiful thing.

LCCotter February 22, 2012 at 6:46 pm

they are sinfully good and dangerous. Note to self: don’t make more than 8 at a time, they go fast! haha

Lisa ♥ Healthful Sense February 22, 2012 at 6:14 pm

God is good! Looking at Christchurch is evidence of His ability to renew strength! xoxo

LCCotter February 22, 2012 at 6:46 pm

oh amen to that Lisa! and its truly beautiful to see in person.

Rachelle February 22, 2012 at 6:33 pm

Wow amazing! I am so incredibly inspired by how everyone has pulled together to cope, move forward, and rebuild. What a simply amazing community. Lets never forget the love and relationships that were formed because of this terrible tragety. Events like this help us to realize just how strong we are.

LCCotter February 22, 2012 at 6:53 pm

amen to that! strong is an understatement. SO true Rachelle!

Pure2raw twins February 22, 2012 at 7:51 pm

really it has been one year, crazy!!! amazing how time really flies by so quickly! it is so great though to see the town rebuilding and starting new :)

LCCotter February 22, 2012 at 11:20 pm

yes, they are slowly getting there. Slowly but surely and STRONGER!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) February 22, 2012 at 8:28 pm

Such a harrowing time for the NZ people indeed :( BUt it shows just how resilient they are. Thinking of you all xx

LCCotter February 23, 2012 at 7:16 am

resilient indeed friend. An honor to be around such strong community!

Kath (My Funny Little Life) February 22, 2012 at 9:52 pm

Thank you for reminding of this day, Lindsay! I can remember it very well myself, although I wasn’t there, but someone I love a lot was.

LCCotter February 22, 2012 at 11:20 pm

have you spoken to your professor since then? Hope he is well.

Nichole February 22, 2012 at 10:37 pm

The yo-yos, don’t get me started on how amazing those look!

How amazing and touching that you’ve lived in the area do close after the disaster. It is so important to count our blessings and keep the town in mind as it heals.

LCCotter February 22, 2012 at 11:21 pm

it’s been a HUGE EYE OPENER. I just hope i can continue to see it that way and count my blessings.

Paige February 22, 2012 at 10:43 pm

I bet it would be easy to confuse your days there.
I loved this weeks TT theme! So fun :)

LCCotter February 22, 2012 at 11:22 pm

i know, it was fun! Clever too. Happy Wednesday to you, and i think its thursday here. haha.

Yolie @ Practising Wellness February 26, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Beautiful post, Lindsay, really lovely to read. So poignant, and so well said. <3 xyx

LCCotter February 27, 2012 at 3:10 am

you know i was thinking about you and your kiwi all day. xoxo