“Finals” Friday

by lindsay cotter on February 24, 2012

When we arrived in NZ nearly 3 months ago, it was all fresh, new, and there were several “first” experiences/adjustments.

WOW…where did time ago? Now I feel like we are in the “final” push and trying to squeeze in all those “final” memories. Memories I don’t want to make memories. No, I want them to be present moments. But with one journey ending, another always begins, right? Winking smile

This was our Final Week in Christchurch. We wrapped it up nicely I’d say.

We finally got a fun night out with the family, laughing & smiling

(the mum in law and auntie)

DSC02983.JPG$RN4HA3F

We finally found a good GUINNESS for the hubs……

DSC02986.JPG

We finally tried out the Vietnamese restaurant down the road……

DSC02987.JPG

Fried Egg and steak, ya that’s a man’s meal! Winking smile

o-matic3o-matic

And we finally went for one last local wine tasting……

I am really going to miss these quaint little places.

DSC02968.JPGDSC02969.JPGDSC02971.JPGDSC02972.JPG

Here’s the hubs embracing the full on taper pose. haha.

o-matic

Well friends, I know it’s not much of a topic for a Friday, but it’s Friday (well Saturday here) and who really wants to think that much, eh?

This weekend is going to fly by and before we know it we will be on a plane to Auckland via Taupo, then race time.

So here’s to a weekend of FINAL REFLECTION.

What are you FINALLY getting to these days?

STUFT Mama February 25, 2012 at 12:15 am

I’m finally getting to a point to take time and let God do His thing. I’m finally trying to rest (even though it’s tough). I’m finally ready to make some changes to figure out what’s going on with my tummy. Love ya!!! Enjoy the last few days. I can’t believe how fast it’s gone by.

LCCotter February 25, 2012 at 3:19 am

resting is tough, but God will for sure bless that time friend. yes, finally!

Kris | iheartwellness.com February 25, 2012 at 12:50 am

Ahh love your “Finals”…what gorgeous things to experience… especially the wine ;)

Your journey there has been so amazing to follow and I can’t wait to visit NZ one day!! WOO HOO!!!!

I’m ready to finally let go and realize everything is happening for a reason and go with the flow :)

LCCotter February 25, 2012 at 3:23 am

yes, wine land it is! and yes to finally realizing the purpose behind life happenings. thats BIG!

Heather (Where's the Beach) February 25, 2012 at 1:42 am

I can’t believe 3 months have already come and gone. Jess and I were just talking about that. It doesn’t seem like you’ve been there that long. And NZ totally agrees with you – of course, I want you closer so we can meet up sometime!!!

LCCotter February 25, 2012 at 3:25 am

i feel like we just blinked and poof it was gone. crazy! but i do look forward to meeting up hopefully, yes!

Christine February 25, 2012 at 2:11 am

I just got back from a business trip and am completely wiped out. I’m looking forward to finally sleeping in my own bed!!

LCCotter February 25, 2012 at 3:26 am

sleep away sweet friend! you deserve some snuggle time- finally!

katie February 25, 2012 at 2:13 am

Wine and a Hubby! Perfect combo!! Haha!

Its almost race time! I really know your husband will do well, he has been training so hard, no matter what, he should be proud! He should also be proud he had the BEST sherpa by his side!

LCCotter February 25, 2012 at 3:27 am

i love your faith in us katie! it gives me such joy. love you.

Heather February 25, 2012 at 2:40 am

Good luck to your husband!

I am going to take Monday off – to catch up on life! That way I don’t have to rush through the weekend – I’m hoping to sit on the couch and watch a movie tomorrow night. Something I haven’t done in a VERY long time.

LCCotter February 25, 2012 at 3:28 am

yea for monday off! enjoy every FINAL second.

teabagginit February 25, 2012 at 3:00 am

i’m finally getting to connect to the bf. j and i have been living parallel (but not intertwining) lives. ya know what i mean? it hasn’t been bad, just living to function and not living to thrive. we’ve been spending quality time these past few days and it’s been wonderful!
here’s to taper (mine’s tapering before final exams) and here’s to relaxation!
also, here’s to you for bringing a smile to my Friday night self!

LCCotter February 25, 2012 at 3:32 am

cheers to a weekend of finally intertwining, yes? hope so! you deserve that time. yes, i can totally relate. smiling back at ya. xoxo

Raina February 25, 2012 at 3:32 am

I am getting to the LAUNDRY pile. Exciting , eh? Wanna trade places? :) Looks like your last few minutes are well spent!!

LCCotter February 25, 2012 at 3:33 am

haha, no but you can always escape and come here for a “final” visit. no laundry needed. :-)

Kristabel@RaceReady February 25, 2012 at 4:38 am

I am finally truly destressing from my college years. I am also finally taking it easy on myself and slowing down to enjoy life!

LCCotter February 25, 2012 at 6:25 am

good!! you finally are living, yes? now stay there and enjoy friend.

Kristabel@RaceReady February 25, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Yes, starting to…I think I needed to chill for a while to get going full speed again!

Chuck February 25, 2012 at 7:14 am

Did you finally finish most of your “things to do” while in NZ list? If not, at least it’s an excuse to go back lol

LCCotter February 25, 2012 at 8:21 am

yep, to do list is done. Well besides IRONMAN, haha. Did you get James’ email?

Alexandra February 25, 2012 at 1:06 pm

WOWZA I can’t believe the race is almost here! 3 months has seemed like a time warp haha
Enjoy your last bit of time in Auckland! Based on the pics, I know you are :)

LCCotter February 25, 2012 at 6:34 pm

i know, time warp times 10!!! crazy. Better hurry up and enjoy, yes? haha.

Bre February 25, 2012 at 2:16 pm

I can’t believe that’s three months has gone by already!! Love all the photos and seeing all the cool places that you guys have seen and done. Can’t wait to cheer on the hubs, and can’t wait till you guys return to Austin! :)

LCCotter February 25, 2012 at 6:36 pm

you will probably be able to follow him more than me that day. haha. Wish you were here to sherpa. Gosh, we’d be at coffee for at least 9 hours, yes? LOL!

audrey February 25, 2012 at 5:23 pm

that steak and eggs..now that looked like a portion my hubs would eat!!
looking for quaint little places, and small local wineries….victoria bc …
also good triathlon training grounds, home of the national training center.
enjoy your last days there!

LCCotter February 25, 2012 at 6:37 pm

victoria BC is on the list. We need to visit you at some point of course!

Bonnie February 25, 2012 at 5:41 pm

WOW – hard to believe your time has really come to an end! I loved this post – the full on taper pose, time with family, quaint wine tastings and especially James’ “Have an awesome day” shirt (I want that!). ;) Keep embracing and enjoying the end of your time…here’s to new adventures ahead and the big race – all the focus, determination, and hard work that got you guys here.

I’m embracing rest…trying to! Been fighting all week a bad cold/throat thing that my in-laws had; haven’t run once! Feeling pretty wiped out in the head but might do a few push ups – only small movements. ;) It’s snowing hard out, so it’s definitely an easier day to embrace rest than on a typical sunny Calgary day. :D

LCCotter February 25, 2012 at 6:38 pm

resting is hard because we are so used to fighting it. I hope you get to heal this weekend and are back out in that sunshine come monday. Thank you for being a ROCK of support during this time Bonnie.
xoxo

MegSmith @ Cooking.In.College February 25, 2012 at 5:46 pm

I’m so sad you will be leaving Christchurch soon, as I know you are too! I have really enjoyed all your pictures and adventures there.

Good luck to you hubs during his race :-)

LCCotter February 25, 2012 at 6:38 pm

i had no idea you were following along. Oh thank you for that sweet comment Meg, it made my day!

Beth (i run like a girl) February 25, 2012 at 6:19 pm

That winery looks lovely!

Finally… Hubby and I sat down to do our 2012 budget (only 2 months late) — but there was race-training to do on other weekends! Pre-race taper weekend is perfect for catching up on other household To Dos.
;-)

LCCotter February 25, 2012 at 6:39 pm

oh thats a though one to actually “sit” down and do. Way to go for knocking that out! want to come do ours? ;-)

Beth (i run like a girl) February 25, 2012 at 7:54 pm

Sure thing! (As long as you’re providing travel and accommodations.) ;)

LCCotter February 25, 2012 at 10:17 pm

ask me after Ironman, maybe we’ll win some $$. haha.

Abby February 25, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Your time there is almost done, but that just means you guys are ready to start off on another new adventure. But first things first–he needs to kick some butt, no?

As for me, I’m really trying to finally let myself “be” instead of “do.” My body and mind are exhausted, but ignore those signs and convince myself I’m invincible. I need to trust that rest is what I need, let go of that control and recover a bit–from life ;) Thank you for reminding me!

LCCotter February 25, 2012 at 6:41 pm

Yes, one adventure closes but another always starts up soon, yes? As for rest, Abby, you know i struggle with this. We try so hard to fight it because it is unnatural to us. So here’s to TRUST. TRUSTING that rest is what we need NOW.

Lisa February 25, 2012 at 7:17 pm

So are you guys tempted to just stay in NZ forever? It sure does look amazing…. !

I’m realizing (in today’s snowstorm…) that I need to move to a nicer climate. I also need to focus on my work and be less scatterbrained! Baby steps…

LCCotter February 25, 2012 at 11:59 pm

yes, we would love to. For the lifestyle of course. slow…. ahh. But we will be back. Hopefully each year for this. Fingers crossed. Now go focus and enjoy the weekend, finally!

Laura @ LauraLivesLife February 25, 2012 at 8:21 pm

This weekend I’m finally spending time doing what I want independent of school/work/PhD programs, etc. I’m spending time on ME, and it scares me half to death. I almost don’t know what I’ll think about!

LCCotter February 25, 2012 at 11:56 pm

face those fears and take care of you. Thats what you would tell me, right? xoxo

Kalli February 25, 2012 at 8:25 pm

This is such a great post Lindsay! Love that you have accomplished and enjoyed so many awesome adventures. I am stuck at this finally question! I am going to put some more thought into it. I can’t wait until James does his race I know he will do so well :)

LCCotter February 25, 2012 at 11:57 pm

thank you Kalli. I love your support. How about your final answer is your FINALLY running and LOVE IT!

TheHungeredOne@MovingandMunching February 25, 2012 at 9:09 pm

looks like a blast! good luck on the race. am seriously considering traveling to NZ with a few friends.

LCCotter February 25, 2012 at 11:57 pm

oh you should!! I’ll wait here for you, k?

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) February 25, 2012 at 9:44 pm

I can’t believe it’s almost over! What a crazy wild ride you two have had there! You guys are staying on my mind right now. I know this will be a great week for you!

LCCotter February 25, 2012 at 11:55 pm

thank you sarena. I am going to be using a lot of your recipes this week to full the hubs. He goes dairy free as well before a race!

Nichole February 25, 2012 at 10:06 pm

FINAL?? NO!! It went by too fast!!

LCCotter February 25, 2012 at 11:46 pm

i know, and you still haven’t come to visit. Maybe i should stay longer and wait. hehe

She Rocks Fitness February 25, 2012 at 10:34 pm

Amazing how time flies when you are having FUN! Love seeing you and the hubs smiling so much and enjoying this wonderful experience! Enjoy the rest of the weekend or whatever is left of it for you over there…xoxo

LCCotter February 25, 2012 at 11:59 pm

thank you friend. You too! enjoy that sunday slowness and yoga. I know you will!

Lou February 26, 2012 at 1:50 am

Wow, crazy it’s your last week! Time flies huh. At least you’ll be moving on to more stable ground though. Bet you’re going to miss all the good gluten free products/tempeh ;) Not to mention the WINE. Australia does a mean red. Just sayin.

LCCotter February 26, 2012 at 4:22 am

i feel like we just met up yesterday. boo, sad! I think we will be back next year, so make sure to save us a room at your casa. k? hehe.

Lindsay February 26, 2012 at 3:51 am

I hate when Im nearing the end of a vacation :(. enjoy it while you’re there!!!

LCCotter February 26, 2012 at 4:21 am

well it hasn’t been a vacation, more training focused, but it has been a lot slower life and that is a huge blessing, ya know? 3 months here and it flew BY!!!

Lindsay February 26, 2012 at 1:19 pm

I consider any break from the usual a vacation! ;)

Heather @ Better With Veggies February 26, 2012 at 2:15 pm

I’m finally getting a *little* better at putting the first things first and balancing the rest. I’m a work in progress, but trying to slow down and enjoy life.

LCCotter February 26, 2012 at 8:22 pm

ya for quick recovery and balanced life. feels good i am sure! we are all a work in progress, but progress keeps us human. ya know?

Heather @ Dietitian on the Run February 26, 2012 at 6:26 pm

Those sunny, colorful pictures never get old! Really can’t wait to get myself to that country sometime sooner than later :) You know this, though.

Hope you guys are enjoying your weekend! race time so sooon!

LCCotter February 26, 2012 at 8:23 pm

the sun, the trails, the cycling. It’s all waiting for you friend. I’ll make sure you get here sooner versus later. :P

jobo February 26, 2012 at 6:46 pm

wow, your final week?! it must be so bittersweet but such a rewarding perfectly timed time. I am looking forward to your reflections!! And that wine tasting looks awesome!

LCCotter February 26, 2012 at 8:21 pm

and i am looking forward to maybe seeing you. Shall i bring you some NZ wine?

Yolie @ Practising Wellness February 26, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Good luck to the hubs! :-) Be sending you SO many good vibes! <3 And I'll have the Riesling, please, lol! ;-) Yummy! xyx

LCCotter February 27, 2012 at 3:11 am

thank you thank you. you sure you dont want to fly down and watch? hehe

Tara February 26, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Wow, time sure does fly… I remember when you first announced that you were doing this!! I’ve loved reading all about it and getting a peak at NZ has made me want to go so bad!! Enjoy your last few days!!

LCCotter February 27, 2012 at 3:13 am

i know, crazy how time flys. thank you so much for supporting us the whole way tara.

Jess February 26, 2012 at 10:28 pm

I cannot BELIEVE your NZ time is coming to a close already. It flew by to me and if it flew by to me, I can’t even fathom how fast it flew by for you guys! BUT I’ll say this – you two lived the sh*t out of your time there and that is huge, amazing, awesome and makes ME so happy to see!! I am rooting the hubs on for his big day, I can’t wait to hear how it goes! xo!

LCCotter February 27, 2012 at 3:16 am

oh jess, you seriously fill me with such hope and joy! thank you for ALWAYS being a cheerleader. love you.

Pure2raw twins February 26, 2012 at 11:10 pm

yay wine!! we enjoyed some while home ;)

and really 3 months already?? crazy how fast time is going

LCCotter February 27, 2012 at 3:14 am

oh good!! it’s about time you two savored some winr. cheers to traveling!

glidingcalm February 27, 2012 at 3:50 am

cheers to great memories!
I experienced my 1st wine tasting this weekend and had so much fun!!

And Vietnamese food = one of my most favorite cuisines!! YUM YUM YUM!

I agree- time is flying for me as well!

Have a great week!

LCCotter February 27, 2012 at 5:14 am

oh yea for wine weekends!! glad you had fun. savor those times, yes? life is too short!

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning February 27, 2012 at 2:37 pm

I need to divide my “to do” list into into “DO THIS NOW, DAMNIT YOU SLACKER” categories. All of your “finals” look so awesome, and you know how much you’ll appreciate that you took the time and effort to see and do all of those things after you leave. I’m sure it’s very bittersweet to leave and come back to the States- I can’t wait to read about your transition!

LCCotter February 27, 2012 at 3:53 pm

haha, great catergories Lauren. I guess when it comes down to it, its all about enjoying the last few things, right? Thanks for the support, very much appreciated!!

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva February 28, 2012 at 10:30 pm

I’m finally getting to the point where I can accept me for me and build some self-confidence. I have struggled with negative self image for so long, but I’m not putting up with it anymore. I am grateful I have come to this realisation and am moving towards a happier healthier me!

LCCotter February 29, 2012 at 5:14 am

yes yes!! so awesome lady! new you… real, honest, and moving FORWARD!!