Wino Windsay Wednesday

by LCCotter on January 25, 2012

Warning: This blog post might bore the heck out of you. But it’s one I want to post for me. It’s a passion of mine and I am currently living in a place that just lives, breathes, and “sips” my passion. WINE!

I love wine. I am a wanna-be wino. Not because I want to know what to pair with wine and what wine is the best, etc. No, I love he science behind it. I guess you could say I am wino science geek.

Back in college I took a wine making course. I fell in love with the process. How it ages, how you pick the right grape, the right climate/region, etc. It’s an art form. I love wine because it describes culture. It’s full of life and it’s always enjoyed in good company.

I’m a wanna-be wino because I get giddy when trying new wines and exploring new wineries/vineyards. I study the region, look at how they make the wine, and read their story about how the vineyard was started. And trust me, there’s always a story.

I’m a wanna-be wino because I drink a glass of wine a night. Red or white? Depends on my mood, not what I’m cooking. But yes, there will be wine while cooking.

I’m a wanna-be wino because I look at Food and Wine Magazines to read the articles. I want to learn more. I want to know how they are rated. It’s gotta be a SCIENCE, right?

I’m a wanna-be wino because I married a man from New Zealand just so I could drink good wine, just kidding. Although that is a perk! Winking smile

map

DSC02488.JPGDSC02323.JPGwine

winesDSC02319.JPGwine friday

DSC02514.JPGo-matic

o-matic2DSC02487.JPG

o-matic2o-matic1o-matico-matic3

Some people collect nut butters, protein powder, etc. but I collect wine bottles. I like pretty ones with cool labels or names.

Yes, my name is Lindsay Windsay and I’m a Wanna-be Wino.

DSC02476.JPG

Sorry Lou, I just had to include you! Smile with tongue out

Cheers!

Windsay (LC)

For more fun NZ wine facts, check out this site. You know you want to.

Emz January 26, 2012 at 12:20 am

It’s a huge freaking “perk”!
;)
So awesome.
Ya…I might be looking into tickets. How can I wait until June??

LCCotter January 26, 2012 at 4:32 am

oh burr, its cold n June. But still so PRETTY! COme now, its warm!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) January 26, 2012 at 12:21 am

I love this about you. We buy wine most of the time just for the design and labels. Tony is the real wine lover here though. I can only drink the sweeter stuff…I’m such a chick sometimes.

LCCotter January 26, 2012 at 4:33 am

thats okay. At least you try them! I’ll have a glass with tony, hehe.

Raina January 26, 2012 at 12:26 am

We are in wine country as well! I live about a half-hour from a great winery, King estates, but there are several small wineries just in the 15 minutes around my house. Too bad I don’t drink it anymore…I used to love a good merlot! Enjoy a glass for me. :)

LCCotter January 26, 2012 at 4:33 am

oh i know! i need to come visit. I love oregon wine. Will definitely enjoy a glass for you.

Kelly January 26, 2012 at 12:33 am

I love your wine love!

LCCotter January 26, 2012 at 4:34 am

hehe, thanks friend. I know I tried to convert you into a wine lover. Did it work?
;)

Kelly January 26, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Every so often I crave a glass of red but that’s about it.

Lizzy January 26, 2012 at 12:38 am

hehehe I LOVE LOVE LOVED this post because my Sister is a Wine and Viticulture major!! she LOVES wine, and through her I am learning to love it from the science perspective as well as drinking perspective…delicious!!! I’ve got to show her this post…and if she knew New Zealand was so fabulous for wine=there would be 2 of us running around sipping the juice of the grape with you!!
xoxo!

LCCotter January 26, 2012 at 4:35 am

oh you both need to come. Training and wine touring! Now thats a good deal, eh?

Scott Ennis January 26, 2012 at 12:51 am

Wine makes great metaphors! My friend in Seattle is writing music for this one of mine:

Riesling Kiss

LCCotter January 26, 2012 at 4:35 am

oh thats beautiful wendy! I LOVE IT!

Katherine January 26, 2012 at 1:17 am

I grew up in a family that doesn’t drink alcohol (same for my husband), so wine has been such a great discovery now that I’m a “grown up”. And I totally agree about the science behind it. The relationship between food and wine is amazing! I could easily drink a glass of wine every night…maybe that should have been new year’s resolution. J/k. :) Loved this post. Thanks.

LCCotter January 26, 2012 at 4:37 am

Oh friend, i’d join you every night. We could sip and savor. Keep me posted on all the new wines you discover, k?

Lisa January 26, 2012 at 1:21 am

I love wine too—-the same kind of love, learning about it and admiring the bottles. I have a friend who is a little snooty about wine, and I just laugh–it’s not so serious to me, but it sure is enjoyable!

LCCotter January 26, 2012 at 4:37 am

i think we are more alike than we think. Cheers!

Heather (Where's the Beach) January 26, 2012 at 1:36 am

Girl we were so destined to be friends! Happy Winesday ;-)

LCCotter January 26, 2012 at 4:38 am

thats for sure! wine tour 2012 here we come, yes?

malita January 26, 2012 at 2:30 am

“Whittle Windsay the Wino” – so glad we found a way to work whittle back into your name, your brothers will be so happy

LCCotter January 26, 2012 at 4:39 am

it was that or Lindsay the Lush. haha. I like the whittle wino. Man, i miss our wine times. Remember our grape stomp? haha!!!

teabagginit January 26, 2012 at 2:56 am

ah, i sincerely hope you join the hubs for wildflower! there are SO MANY great wineries (i used to work at one) here in the san luis obispo area! :)

LCCotter January 26, 2012 at 4:39 am

oh i drove through that area in 2008 too! I didn’t “know” you then. WIsh I did! I sure hope i get to come!

Heather @ Better With Veggies January 26, 2012 at 3:07 am

Me too!! Whenever we travel, looking for wineries (or breweries or distilleries) is high on the list. I love sharing stories of where a wine is from, why it’s special, how we found it, etc when we open a new bottle – it adds to the experience! My 50K next weekend is in Sacramento, which is about 40 minutes from Napa/Sonoma – what do you think my post-race plan includes? ;)

LCCotter January 26, 2012 at 4:41 am

oh my gosh thats awesome! we do Vineman every year near Napa and LOVE IT!! I am so excited for you and this post race fun! Heather, i think we’re destined to be training buddies and winos together!

Heather Blackmon @ Better With Veggies January 26, 2012 at 3:56 pm

I’ve always thought Vineman would be great – just wish it was at a cooler time of year (I’m not a good athlete in the heat). I think you guys need to move somewhere close when you get back from NZ. ;) Or we at least need to pick a race together!

Lou January 26, 2012 at 3:29 am

Yeah! Winos forever!

Have you tried Catalina Sounds SavB yet? It’s a goodie.

Oh NZ wine, so awesome! They do a damn fine SavB + Pinot Noir for sure, Aussie does a wicked riesling + cab merlot – it’s a pretty sweet part of the globe down under, no?

xx

LCCotter January 26, 2012 at 4:42 am

catalina sounds? um no!! I will get that next! i need my wino friend and vegan friend here. Miss you.

Lou January 26, 2012 at 8:02 am

TRY IT!! and you are familiar with my friend Kim Crawford, no? Her Pinot Grigio is lovely. Miss you too beautiful lady… we WILL drink wine again someday… in Austin perhaps?! OR maybe in Aussie?

Lindsay @ biking before bed January 26, 2012 at 3:35 am

I would say you are more than a wannabe! I went to a vineyard outside of Houston over the weekend and had a blast. I loved the nerdy tour where they showed the bottling machine and the fermentation vessels.

LCCotter January 26, 2012 at 4:42 am

which one? I love the texas hill country wine tour! its fun. Have you done that? its actually really pretty.

Katie January 26, 2012 at 4:14 am

Even though you cheat on red (the only one worth drinking if you ask me), I still love you.

Wine is my constant companion. I really didn’t know about New Zealand wine until you started posting about it, but I love an evening glass of wine. I used to feel snooty ordering it at a pub, but now I have the gluten “excuse” so that helps. ;)

I worked in Georgia banding birds one summer and we got to catch them at a winery north of Atlanta. They gave us all the wine we could drink and some for the road. best 3 days of that summer by far!

LCCotter January 26, 2012 at 4:47 am

yes, the gluten excuse does help. haha. Man Katie, i think we just might need a wine trip together. hiking, wine, and lots of laughter. Sound good?

Pure2raw twins January 26, 2012 at 4:24 am

we want to be a wino with you :)
we wish we knew more about wine, we just know the basics and what we like. but we know there is so much more to learn! maybe one day you can teach us and we can all be wino for the day!!

LCCotter January 26, 2012 at 4:48 am

i’m coming to NC and we will road trip it to vineyards! K? I want to be your wino for sure. Love you ladies.

natalie January 26, 2012 at 5:28 am

*sigh* Wine. <3

LCCotter January 26, 2012 at 7:37 am

oh i know, but soon… like how many months? I’ll count for you.

Kristin @ STUFT Mama January 26, 2012 at 6:18 am

Oh….. I wanna-be a wanna-be wino with you! :) You are just too cute! I only like red wine and sweet wines. I wish I was intrigued by the region, etc. but I usually just go for what is tasty and cheap. Maybe I need to educate myself a little more. :) Wine hugs!!!

LCCotter January 26, 2012 at 7:38 am

cheap can still be good! trust me, i’ve investigated!! so yes, wine hugs all around.

Sarah January 26, 2012 at 11:40 am

Lol love this and I agree it’s gotta be science ;)) Red wine in my opinion is much better than white, I just don’t like the sweetness of them!

LCCotter January 26, 2012 at 6:58 pm

try sauvignon blanc. its a super dry white and i love it cause its not sweet. I am a red fan too though.
;)

Sarah January 31, 2012 at 12:35 pm

I’ll have to request next time I go out with the co-workers, seeing I’m 18 and can’t buy myself ;)

Red is totes the best, accompanied by some dark chocolate!

Heather @ Dietitian on the Run January 26, 2012 at 11:57 am

From this post, I’d say you ARE a Wino….definitely not a “wanna be”. ;)

Have you ever thought about getting a Sommelier certification, or training, or whatever it is they do? You’d be perfect for it!

LCCotter January 26, 2012 at 6:46 pm

i really want to look into that SOmmelier certification. I guess it just depends on where to do it! hmmm, good thinking Heather.

Kath (My Funny Little Life) January 26, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Not bored at all! :D I love wine and happily admit to be a member of the wine-at-night club as well. :) I sometimes have winetastings (private with wines from a good wine store, or sometimes even organized) with one of my best friends and whoever wants to join in, and we enjoy it (and the wine) a lot. NZ must be a paradise for a wine lover! :D

LCCotter January 26, 2012 at 6:47 pm

oh i hope we get to do that together someday. It would bring me such Joy Kath!

katie January 26, 2012 at 1:33 pm

I love you and I am jealous you are living in land of the wine!!!!

LCCotter January 26, 2012 at 6:48 pm

i’ll try to steal some Zin for you and bring it back to the states k?

katie @KatieDid January 26, 2012 at 1:37 pm

I get intimidated by the huge breadth of knowledge when it comes to wines. I feel like I can never possibly have a grasp on different tastes, how they pair well, what flavors shine through etc. But I want to! Wine is definitely my drink of choice and I go through 1-2 smaller bottles a week hah!

LCCotter January 26, 2012 at 6:48 pm

i think it takes a LONG time to really know the difference in the wines. Thats why i love it too. Its process that can’t be rushed. So no stressin, k?
:P

jobo January 26, 2012 at 1:46 pm

I love this! Not boring at all, my friend, none of your posts are either ;- )I wanna be a wino for the very same reasons! I love how it’s made, exploring vineyards, the behind the scenes, trying new wines, blends, etc. I think we are wine soul sisters ;-)

LCCotter January 26, 2012 at 6:49 pm

you know i wrote this post for you, jess, and heather. Love you ladies! and wine soul sisters indeed!

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean January 26, 2012 at 1:50 pm

confession, i like to pick out my wines based on how much i like the label or the name :) you guys should make your own wine! my hubby makes beer and he LOVES all the science involved

LCCotter January 26, 2012 at 6:50 pm

haha, thats a great confession cause i do the same sometimes! its fun!
My brother makes beer too. I wish i could drink more of it but its not GF friendly. Although his beer is awesome!

Kim K January 26, 2012 at 2:01 pm

“This blog post might bore the heck out of you.” are you kidding LC? Add some talk about chocolate, and this is the perfect post for me!

LCCotter January 26, 2012 at 6:51 pm

and maybe some cheese? heck, those are good staples for me! CHeers Kim! miss you.

Jess January 26, 2012 at 2:03 pm

Hi I’m Jessica and I wanna be a wino TOO! Heck, I already am one, who am I kidding?? I love this post!! The science behind it is so freakin’ cool isn’t it? I always like that part of the wine tour process when visiting wine country. I even like trying the freshly pressed wine that hasn’t been aged yet. Tastes sorta like apple cider to me, so cool!!

So uh, you’re coming to wine country with us this year then, right??

LCCotter January 26, 2012 at 6:51 pm

Lets open a WINO SOUL SISTER vineyard?! Yes?? Oh please please!!

Paige January 26, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Girrrrl you know I am right there with you!

Shane’s favorite wines come from south America and new Zealand. He loves the Shiraz and malbecs. We both really want to take another wine class this season!

LCCotter January 26, 2012 at 6:52 pm

oh i love a good South African Malbec. So lush! We all need to go a wine class together. Blogger retreat. haha.

The Hippie Health Nut January 26, 2012 at 3:43 pm

Haha! Cute post. I started exploring wine more since it’s a “safe” gf drink. If there are any I just havvve to try, please let me know!

LCCotter January 26, 2012 at 6:53 pm

me too! I am so glad its naturally GF! Phew! and i have a list of wines for you to try. Like Kim Crawford Sauvingnon Blanc. Like red too?

Kris | iheartwellness.com January 26, 2012 at 4:56 pm

Ooooo I love wine too!!! I wanna be a wino!!!

I actually wish {this might sound silly} that i had more wine in the house so I could drink it more often…LOL!!!

LCCotter January 26, 2012 at 6:54 pm

well stock up friend! Thats the fun part! exploring the wine section. hehe

Christin@purplebirdblog January 26, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Back when I drank, I wanted to be a wino, but instead I’d usually just guzzle a whole bottle or two and be sloshed off my ass… um, part of the reason I don’t drink anymore! ;)

LCCotter January 26, 2012 at 6:22 pm

wine making is kind of like kombucha making. Takes time and effort and lots of testing. I think thats another reason i love it. And i am glad I learned to appreciate it first. I know your drinking days are over and you are amazing for it!! So cheers to a good kombucha. Yes?

Christin@purplebirdblog January 26, 2012 at 6:23 pm

Hell yes! I’ll raise my glass of kombucha to toast your glass of wine every time, my friend! :)

Rachelle January 26, 2012 at 5:58 pm

I am not a big wine drinker but I did learn a lot about wine while I was in Napa. Oh my goodness those wineries are absolutely gorgeous and running through them was simply amazing. I agree that there is something about the culture of wine that is incredibly intriguing.

LCCotter January 26, 2012 at 6:54 pm

don’t you just love the air there?! SO crisp ad fresh and beautiful! I could run for hours there. Miss it.

Danielle January 26, 2012 at 6:14 pm

I believe I fall into your camp – I can’t tell you the way it hits my palette, but I can tell you which regions, years, wineries interest me and the unknown is just so intriguing that I rarely buy the same bottle twice (unless it is THAT good). I am so jealous you are right in the heart of some delicious wines!! I am heading back to Sonoma in April, so very excited about that!

LCCotter January 26, 2012 at 6:55 pm

oh yea! we are wino twins. Have fun in Sonoma. Gosh its so pretty!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga January 26, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Later today I am posting about Napa and Sonoma and great memories Scott and I have…so yes, I can totally understand about your passion for wine and I think that’s fabulous!

LCCotter January 26, 2012 at 6:45 pm

oh i can’t wait to read that! great memories indeed. Cheers friend!

kalli January 26, 2012 at 7:28 pm

love this about you! i too love wine and drink white or red depedning on my mood. not so much into the science thing though ;) jsut like to sip it down!

LCCotter January 27, 2012 at 12:47 am

i ‘ll be sipping it down with you sometime. No science needed there. It’s the perfect euqation. That i know!

Mindy@FindingSilverLinings January 26, 2012 at 8:02 pm

YAY! Just the post I needed to read to get me in the spirit! I’m goig to a wine festival Saturday night!! I’ll be thinking of you, girl!

LCCotter January 27, 2012 at 12:47 am

oh yes!! have fun, take pictures, and post them. Can’t wait!

Laura @ LauraLivesLife January 26, 2012 at 8:04 pm

I’m pretty committed to a good pinot noir; I actually don’t like white wines at all – but maybe that’s because I just need more exposure! I think a vineyard global tour is definitely in order!

LCCotter January 27, 2012 at 12:48 am

okay, go buy a NZ sauvignon blanc. That will change you. Their pinots are good too! In fact, just fly down.
;)

Stephanie January 26, 2012 at 9:05 pm

There’s absolutely NOTHING wrong with marrying someone from new zealand, just so that you can eventually move there and drink to your pretty little heart’s content. ;)

LCCotter January 27, 2012 at 12:46 am

hehe, good. I needed that affirmation.

J.L. January 26, 2012 at 10:11 pm

And that’s one thing that drew me to your blog months ago…you talked about wine. I love wine, though I don’t know much about it. Just that it is amazing and I love pairing it with what I’m cooking. Wino…nothing wrong with that. Here in Eastern Idaho, us wine-lovers are looked down upon and we are closet-ed. But it keeps the heart healthy. And thanks for your encouraging words!

LCCotter January 27, 2012 at 12:45 am

oh that awesome! i think you need to move closer to me then! yes?

Rach January 27, 2012 at 2:44 am

You know, I’ve never been to a winery, but I think that’d be a really cool experience!

LCCotter January 27, 2012 at 7:25 am

you’ve never been?? Oh rach, lets change that soon!

Beth (i run like a girl) January 27, 2012 at 3:03 am

I am jealous of your wine-making class in college! I have read books, done tours, etc… but have never lived in a place where wine making was offered as a class. Hmm… maybe there’s an online course I can sign up for? This might have to go on my bucket list!

LCCotter January 27, 2012 at 7:26 am

i bet there is!! I want to get a sommelier cerftication. Maybe we can do it together!

megan @ muncher cruncher January 27, 2012 at 5:58 am

Linds, You are just too dang cute. That’s all. ;) xoxoxo

LCCotter January 27, 2012 at 7:25 am

oh meg, you are too cute! so glad to hear from you. How’s your sis?

Klh January 27, 2012 at 10:23 am

I enjoy learning about the process as well. While I’ve never been to a winery I’ve been to a couple bourbon distilleries and it’s cool to see the product from start to finish!
Glad youre enjoying the wine in NZ. Cute pics as always!

LCCotter January 27, 2012 at 7:32 pm

oh thats cool! i want to go check out those with you some time!

Miz January 27, 2012 at 10:41 am

DANG :)
the first thing we dont have in common :)

LCCotter January 27, 2012 at 7:37 pm

Bummer. Well you’ll be the first person I call to go get coffee with. That i know! ;-)

Tiff January 27, 2012 at 4:05 pm

I know exactly how you feel. I was no science major, but I’m fascinated with the beer brewing process. Of course, whenever I tour a winery I get sucked into that too just the same.

LCCotter January 27, 2012 at 7:38 pm

oh yes! i wish i could drink beer but not many GF ones are that good. My brother brews beer too. Love the process!

Brittany January 27, 2012 at 5:29 pm

You are sooososo cute. In my book you are definitely a wino! The passion and love are there my friend. I hope one day I will develop a love for wine so I can pretend to be classy and drink with my pinky out, but for now my beverage of choice is water. I am such a rebel.

LCCotter January 27, 2012 at 7:38 pm

no pinky needed, just a smile. hehe. For now, enjoy the kombucha passion. It’s just as good! xoxo

Dorry January 27, 2012 at 6:55 pm

love that you are a wannabe wino! the sad thing is that we’ve never even had a glass of wine together! let’s change that asap.

LCCotter January 27, 2012 at 7:39 pm

i know! we are so behind. How about you fly over to NZ and have a glass. or better yet, a wine tour?! I’m calling you today. K?

Lisa ♥ Healthful Sense January 27, 2012 at 7:11 pm

haha… wine is a must while cooking… it’s makes the whole process more enjoyable =)

LCCotter January 27, 2012 at 7:40 pm

agreed! lisa, we are so alike in our thinking.

Julia @ Pain, Pride, Perseverance January 27, 2012 at 7:52 pm

CUTE!! fun post friend :)

LCCotter January 28, 2012 at 12:03 am

thanks Jules. My love for wine is like your love for Froyo, right?

Bonnie January 27, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Fun post! Loved hearing more of your passions and liked the photos too…let’s share a glass of wine together someday! :D

LCCotter January 28, 2012 at 12:03 am

hope that day is sooner versus later! cheers.

Missy January 31, 2012 at 7:39 pm

um…drool….

I really should not have read this post before 5 pm.
Now I am at work thinking about wine!

— Hi! Catching up on your blog…I had a “detox week” <—highly recommended except I am compulsive and must read every entree of my favorites anyways. (0:

LCCotter January 31, 2012 at 10:36 pm

i need you here, by my side, wino windsay needs another wino. You game?

how was your detox?