Akaroa and Pawpaw Muffins

by LCCotter on January 17, 2012

G’day friends. Hope your Tuesday is treating you mighty fine! We’ve had a good start here as well, despite the mini earthquakes we are experiencing each night. Let’s just hope they stay “mini”.

Since we had a big weekend of training (and when I say “we,” I mean the hubs. Winking smile), we decided to enjoy an easy recovery day on Monday. Recovery day for the hubs means day trip for the wife. YEA!

I suckered him into chauffeuring me to Akaroa for a nice drive and day trip. Akaroa is about an hour from Christchurch and it’s quite quaint as well.

Akaroa is a historic French and British settlement nestled in the heart of an ancient volcano. Explore the village with its colonial architecture, galleries, craft stores, and cafés.”

And that we did!

I know, such a chick day, but a well deserved chick day!

akaroraakarora.jpg 2

I have to say, sometimes it’s nice to spend the day just exploring the scenery and taking a drive. No phones, no computers, just a camera and a good partner in crime.

But what’s a car ride without snacks? I don’t think I leave home without some form of food in my purse. You know, just in case my blood sugar drops within 20 minutes. ha-ha.

I packed a few these up for the road. But I should have known better and packed an extra. Recovery days for most = crazy appetite. Right? Well at least it does for the hubs.

o-matic

o-matic2

GF “Pawpaw” muffins
Recipe Type: snacks
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 25 mins
Serves: 8
“Pawpaw” is kiwi talk for Papaya
Ingredients
  • 1/4c pure cream
  • egg
  • 1 1/3 cup chickpea flour
  • 1/2 cup peanut flour or almond flour
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • vanilla
  • 1 tbsp. coconut butter
  • 1/2 cup water
  • lime sweetened dried papaya or mango
  • sweetener (like stevia, honey, etc.) –optional
  • additional spices (like cinnamon, nutmeg, etc.)- optional
Instructions
  1. Combine dry ingredients in one bowl and egg/cream in another. Add your water to your dry ingredient first then whisk in your egg and cream. Add any extra sweeteners of choice. I did not use any but stevia or honey will make them more sweet. Scoop your batter into muffins pans filling them 3/4 way to top. Then add your papaya on the top center of each muffin filling. I also left some without fruit. Both were good!
  2. Bake at 180C or 365F for about 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Be sure to check the middle to see if the batter has set. Cool for 5 minutes. Enjoy!

These are pretty light tasting so are especially delicious sliced down the middle with a little butter and honey spread. Winking smile

Do you take advantage of day tripping and unplugging?

I am definitely going to take advantage  of them while we are here.

Do you use other names for certain fruit/veggies?

I love this “pawpaw!” A much more fun word than saying papaya. hehe.

Cheers friends,

Health Bee January 17, 2012 at 8:16 am

Hi friend, Love ‘pawpaw’. So cute!

LCCotter January 17, 2012 at 8:37 am

Hi friend! How are ya?!

Maggs January 17, 2012 at 8:30 am

Pawpaw is what my cousins called my grandpa. But they also call bell peppers ‘mangos’ It’s a Kentucky thing I think.

LCCotter January 17, 2012 at 8:36 am

peppers as in bell peppers? thats funny but whatever works! we called my granda pawpaw too. I wonder how that comes about?
Hope you are well friend.

Miz January 17, 2012 at 10:24 am

LOL I thought pawpaw like some people call their grandma MEEMAW!!

LCCotter January 17, 2012 at 5:11 pm

haha, i know. we actually called my grandma pawpaw. Maybe i should have called him papaya instead.

Kim K January 17, 2012 at 5:46 pm

hahaha, i totally thought she was referring to grandpa!!!! still look like delicious muffin – papaya or grandpa – whatever ;)

LCCotter January 17, 2012 at 5:52 pm

yep, thats what i called my grandpa too. So when my mother in law asked if i wanted a pawpaw, i was a bit confused. haha.

Tara January 17, 2012 at 11:39 am

Akaroa looks beautiful!! I say that about every picture you take though. You are so lucky to be in such an amazing place! I love how they call papaya’s pawpaw. I’m pretty sure I call everything by a normal name, but I’m gonna start saying pawpaw so I can be different!

LCCotter January 17, 2012 at 5:12 pm

i am quite lucky, and taking advantage of that while i can. hehe. Yes, start saying pawpaw and see how people respond!

Gen January 17, 2012 at 11:47 am

Sounds like an awesome day trip! :D Those muffins look delicious too!

LCCotter January 17, 2012 at 5:13 pm

looks like you have been muffin baking as well! We should trade. ;-)

Katie @ Raisins&Apples January 17, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Love those pictures! I’ve been mildly obsessed with apricots….So I might have to sub those in these muffins :)

LCCotter January 17, 2012 at 5:14 pm

oh yes, that would be good too. I thought about mango as well. We just need a funny name for them both now.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) January 17, 2012 at 12:36 pm

What a beautiful place! I bet it felt so good to unplug and get away. When we are out and about doing family stuff, we rarely check in with the real world. Sometimes it needs to just be you and who you are with. Those muffins look like perfect fuel! Peanut flour is my all time favorite. I bet the hubs was happy you made those little jewels!

LCCotter January 17, 2012 at 5:15 pm

yes, its definitely a good thing that our phones don’t work here. A necessity that i am learning is not so necessary these days.

I had my mom ship me more PB flour for this reason, haha. Quite addicted!

Michele @ nycrunningmama January 17, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Yay! Thanks for posting the recipe! I am the same way – on my recovery days where I’m barely running, I am usually famished! I eat much more often than I do on my hard workout days!
Glad you got to enjoy a day trip =) The pics are beautiful!!!

LCCotter January 17, 2012 at 5:32 pm

i think its our body’s way of saying “I’m a burning machine, feed me!” hehe. Hope you run went well last night.

katie @KatieDid January 17, 2012 at 12:54 pm

aw cute name! I wish my rest days looked like this!

LCCotter January 17, 2012 at 5:35 pm

i think we should start a day trip movement! explore and share the cities around you, yes?!

Lori Lynn January 17, 2012 at 1:17 pm

What gorgeous scenery! It’s 18 degrees here this morning– I could go for something more like that!!

LCCotter January 17, 2012 at 5:36 pm

oh yes, you might need to warm up here. We’ve got a spare bedroom. Feel free! hehe.

katie January 17, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Hope hubs training is going well! Im sure it is!
These muffins look so good, I thought that was chocolate in the middle when you posted a pic the other day, no I know its not!

Happy Tuesday! <3

LCCotter January 17, 2012 at 5:37 pm

you could totally make them with a chocolate in the middle, diva style! I like that. Happy Tuesday to you, its actually wednesday here now. Still so WEIRD, i know!

Heather (Where's the Beach) January 17, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Oh how fun – love the idea of rest day meaning day trip. I wish that worked for me LOL. And yes, I’m almost always hungrier on my rest days.

LCCotter January 17, 2012 at 5:38 pm

do you guys have any fun little towns around LR? WOuld be fun to go explore and shop, but that would mean you’d have to take a rest day on the weekend. EEK! haha.

Pure2raw twins January 17, 2012 at 1:43 pm

love the day chick trip :) I would make Gary take me too haha
and yes love exploring new places with just a camera and a good buddy with no distractions!!
and those pawpaw muffins looks excellent!!! YUM

LCCotter January 17, 2012 at 5:39 pm

wish we could do a double date day trip, now that would fun! Well, fun for us! haha.

Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health January 17, 2012 at 1:45 pm

I would take advantage of day-tripping if there were more places nearby that I could go to…and if I could afford it haha. Hopefully when I’m a bit older I’ll be able to do more of that!! Sounds like you had a great day…and those pawpaw muffins look fabulous. I love that they call is “pawpaw”…that’s so cute! Hope you have a great day Linds!

LCCotter January 17, 2012 at 5:40 pm

are you going to move to FL after you get married? If so, lots of little beach towns to explore, right? I hope you are! that way i can come visit. haha.

Beth January 17, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Your pictures are so beautiful, makes me want a break from all this snow and ice! I am always super hungry on recovery days, glad it’s not just me.

LCCotter January 17, 2012 at 5:40 pm

i think everyone is hungrier or rest days, it means we’re training right. Well at least that what i like to think. So eat up!

jobo January 17, 2012 at 2:59 pm

What an awesome day trip!! I love those unplanned days, but they are few and far in between, yet they really don’t have to be! You are inspiring me to do the same with M soon :)

LCCotter January 17, 2012 at 5:41 pm

ohhhhh yes! do a M DAY TRIP and take the camera!!!! I want to see East coast fun!

Heather @ Better With Veggies January 17, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Those pictures are GORGEOUS!! I love day trips, such a lovely way to see an area. I’m terrible at unplugging, but I’ve been working on that recently.

Those muffins look yummy – great road trip snack, although I bet you had some crumbs in the car after enjoying those!

LCCotter January 17, 2012 at 5:42 pm

its easier said than done, yes? But when you are forced to unplug due to no internet or phone service, its NICE! I liked it… a little too much.

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean January 17, 2012 at 3:26 pm

yum! love that these are STUFFED! sounds so good

LCCotter January 17, 2012 at 5:44 pm

stuffed is always better, right? I just can’t do plain, i need decor! haha.

Jess January 17, 2012 at 3:27 pm

SOOOO wish I had some of those treats with me while I’m here in cali for work!!! they look awesome!

LCCotter January 17, 2012 at 5:45 pm

oh bugger, i so would have sent them to you if you were…. in NZ! hehe. I am luring you to come here you know.

Cat @Breakfast to Bed January 17, 2012 at 4:47 pm

I giggled when I saw this on the fitfluential page. I thought you had somehow managed to grow my hillbilly family’s favorite fruit in NZ!!! They’re AWFUL!! Taste like spoiled banana and devilspit. This recipe however, looks awesome.
(the hillbilly pawpaw)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paw_Paw

LCCotter January 17, 2012 at 5:49 pm

pawpaws are hillbilly? Oh do share this fruit!!? I am so curious. haha! well not the spoiled banana and devilspit part!

LCCotter January 17, 2012 at 5:51 pm

whoops, and i meant to say do share a picture with your hillbilly fam. ha! i saw the link, too funny!

Dorry January 17, 2012 at 5:10 pm

such gorgeous photos! I want to be there with you exploring cafes and art galleries! I love having unplugged days, especially while traveling. miss you!

LCCotter January 17, 2012 at 5:53 pm

dor, i need you here to explore with me. We’d have too much fun. You around today?! I’m gonna call!

Jen January 17, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Daytripping while unplugging is one of my most favorite things to do! What beautiful pictures…makes me want summer to come back here. :)

LCCotter January 17, 2012 at 5:57 pm

i’ll try to bottle up the sunshine and send it your way, k? how are you friend?

Jill January 17, 2012 at 5:56 pm

partners in “crime” are the BEST! Especially when they just go with whatever you put out there!
Thanks for the comment – I have decided it’s time to “explore” more of our area this year and we are off to a great start! Those moments are always treasured:)))) I wish we had a camera on the dude all of the time to capture everything!

LCCotter January 17, 2012 at 9:16 pm

yes, and as long as you feed them on the way, right? haha. Continue to explore and treasure friend! Next time bring that camera. :)

Kiah January 17, 2012 at 6:06 pm

I make up words, then get called out for doing it (and subsequently stop) :-) So, how long are you there for? It looks beautiful!

LCCotter January 17, 2012 at 9:10 pm

don’t stop! i bet your words are fabulous! Unique. hehe. We have been here since thanksgiving and leave March 5th. Good times!

Melissa January 17, 2012 at 6:26 pm

I soooo need a nice daytrip to unwind and destress. I don’t think going to the DFW area for work this week is going to cut it.

The scenery is beautiful.

LCCotter January 17, 2012 at 9:11 pm

no but you can stop in Salado! thats a cute little place. And take the back road to dallas, its so much cuter.

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail January 17, 2012 at 6:58 pm

WOW! What phenomenal photos! You time is certainly going fast there. I love how you began this post with an “Aussie/NZ” accent! :)

LCCotter January 17, 2012 at 9:11 pm

I know, i am trying to convert myself to a KIWI. Do you think I can do it? hehe.

Christin@purplebirdblog January 17, 2012 at 7:07 pm

That is a fun title right there! I love that you guys got to have such a fun day trip, and those muffins certainly look delicious. With that list of ingredients you just can’t go wrong. :)

LCCotter January 17, 2012 at 9:12 pm

this is such a christin style muffin, just need some of your pb marmite to go with it. right?
;)

Christin@purplebirdblog January 17, 2012 at 9:40 pm

Mmmm, yes you know it!!! :)

Klh January 17, 2012 at 7:49 pm

That town looks beautiful! I’m glad you are getting the chance to explore some. I need to start day tripping and unplugging more…it is so refreshing!
Happy day pretty <3

LCCotter January 17, 2012 at 9:12 pm

yes, i think you should explore with bug! he’d love that.

Laura @ LauraLivesLife January 17, 2012 at 8:15 pm

Oh my goodness – sometimes my recovery days are CRAZY I’m so hungry, especially when I haven’t fueled correctly the day before!

I’m trying to think of food nicknames we have – I know we have them, but I don’t know what they are! I think we’re more prone to other strange nicknames – like for the neighbor kids! Glad you got a real “recovery day” too!

LCCotter January 17, 2012 at 9:14 pm

oh now i am curious, what do you call your neighbors kids? hehe. And yes, i am the same way when i don’t refuel properly. Such a lesson learned!

I know school is stressful at the moment but just wanted to say that you can vent to me anytime. I love chatting via email with you. That balance will come!

hillary biscay January 17, 2012 at 8:32 pm

YES!!! recovery days, for some reason, mean EATING DAYS! i haven’t figured it out yet–always seems so odd since we aren’t doing anything but i pretty much spend all day going from one treat to the next. next up i am gonna have to try these muffins!:)

LCCotter January 17, 2012 at 9:15 pm

i think we eat 2x as much too. But its all good hunger. Thankfully! If you make these vegan let me know! I bet they’d taste scrumptious.

Rach January 17, 2012 at 9:13 pm

So pretty. And the muffins look yummy!

natalie January 17, 2012 at 9:21 pm

Mmmmm, loving everything about this post… The Pawpaw muffins would come in handy in this snowy weather!!!

LCCotter January 18, 2012 at 12:09 am

yep, heat them up with some peanut butter. They are heavenly. I bet the kiddo would like them too. :P

Caroline January 17, 2012 at 10:22 pm

Beautiful pictures! this looks like my kind of place!!
unplugging is very important.
when I am out with my kids I do not check emails..carry a cel phone in case of emergency only.

LCCotter January 18, 2012 at 12:10 am

i think its great to teach your kids to do the same. Explore….without television, games, computers, etc. Those were some of my most cherished times growing up!

Kath (My Funny Little Life) January 17, 2012 at 10:56 pm

Aww, looks perfect! I wouldn’t mind such a day trip!

LCCotter January 18, 2012 at 12:12 am

i know Germany has some quiant little towns. I always love it when you take your camera to all those festivals, etc.

Lisa January 17, 2012 at 11:28 pm

Glad you got a relax day with the hubs! It’s so great to unplug sometimes :)

LCCotter January 18, 2012 at 12:11 am

yes, and i just make take advantage of that again soon. Back to basics, right friend?

Jen@FoodFamilyFitness January 18, 2012 at 12:11 am

With scenery like that, even I would be down for a road trip!!!

LCCotter January 18, 2012 at 12:31 am

haha, now that says a lot!Family road trip perhaps?

Jen@FoodFamilyFitness January 18, 2012 at 12:58 am

Perhaps…

She Rocks Fitness January 18, 2012 at 12:51 am

You have to take advantage of those “unplugged” days enjoy & them. I by accident had my phone on silent this weekend and secretly loved it and sometimes do it, just to take a breather. We’re so plugged in, it’s sometimes ridiculous. Love that muffin name. :)

LCCotter January 18, 2012 at 6:23 am

that is the best feeling! i kinda think it should be a rule now for the weekend, yes?!
you still coming to austin?

Diana January 18, 2012 at 2:48 am

Those views are stunning! Rest days – physical rest and mental rest – are so wonderful!

I hope the earthquakes stay mini, too!!!

LCCotter January 18, 2012 at 6:23 am

mental rest for sure! it was nice NOT to think. haha.

teabagginit January 18, 2012 at 3:04 am

i thought her were talking about “grandpa” muffins! :) what a beautiful day and i’m so glad you’re enjoying yourself!

LCCotter January 18, 2012 at 6:24 am

i think if we put Prunes in them we can call them grandpa muffins, haha. Okay, corniness has sunk in!

Lou January 18, 2012 at 3:43 am

Yay, Akaroa is lovely, used to holiday there a lot when we were little. Lots of cool wildlife… dolphins+ seals, fun :) Pawpaw kinda freaks me out a bit, well the fresh stuff anyway, reminds me a lot of perfume… the dried is nice and sweet though. Hope those little after shocks calm down for ya… not good for the nerves, huh?

LCCotter January 18, 2012 at 6:22 am

no, not good for the nerves at all! they are coming all the time Lou! I need you and misty to calm my nerves.
p.s
went to the artisan fair and thought of you. xoxo

Chuck January 18, 2012 at 7:06 am

I bet those could totally ship internationally… ; )

LCCotter January 19, 2012 at 1:13 am

i’ve got one muffin left. shall i send it? hehe.

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva January 18, 2012 at 12:07 pm

haha i had to learn the aussie lingo fast! It’s all pawpaw and rock melon (cantaloupe) here lol.

LCCotter January 19, 2012 at 1:14 am

oh rock melon! i need to start using that. Too funny. what else? do tell.

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva January 19, 2012 at 5:14 am

Oh the list could go on forever!!! umm let’s see
bangers & mash = sausages & mashed potato
snag = another word for sausages too (lets face it…aussie love a good bbq)
Tomato sauce = ketchup (although these taste completely different…I still buy and use heinz ketchup to the day…true american at heart)
prawn = shrimp (but that one’s not too out of this world)
capsicum = bell pepper
And the list could go on haha

LCCotter January 19, 2012 at 6:38 am

yes, i got those. Phew! i must be somewhwat on track now. haha.

Heather @ Dietitian on the Run January 18, 2012 at 12:47 pm

The picture of that pier is so gorgeous! I love living vicariously through your Kiwi adventures over there :)

LCCotter January 19, 2012 at 1:15 am

you could be here with me if you really wanted… just an invite.

Korin January 18, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Wow those pictures are beautiful!

LCCotter January 19, 2012 at 1:16 am

why thank you Korin. It was fun taking them.

julie January 18, 2012 at 5:46 pm

haha! you and me both girl, i’m the traffic snack KAWEEN. i would never leave home without a snack but i like the idea of leaving all electronics and people behind. just you, the road, and your snacks ;) sounds dreamy!

LCCotter January 19, 2012 at 1:17 am

do it!! Just you, your bowl of oats, a road trip, and good tunes! haha.

Lisa @ Healthful Sense January 18, 2012 at 8:09 pm

No phones, no computers = relaxing!!
Love taking off on adventures and enjoying the moment =)
Beautiful pictures!

LCCotter January 19, 2012 at 1:18 am

i think it should be a weekly thing now. So good for the mind.

Sabrina @ Radioactive Runner January 18, 2012 at 8:22 pm

Wow, Akaroa looks BEAUTIFUL!! and those muffins look really good too :)

LCCotter January 19, 2012 at 1:30 am

what do canadians call papaya? anything special?

Raina January 19, 2012 at 12:34 am

Those muffins look good! I never thought of using chick pea flour. They make that??
Your photos always make me want to travel! Right now summer in Kiwi land sounds goooood.

LCCotter January 19, 2012 at 1:29 am

they do! or its called garbanzo flour. You can easily toast garbanzo beans then grind them to flour.

and p.s.
you need to come train here!

Raina January 19, 2012 at 2:25 am

I like that idea :)

Yolie @ Practising Wellness January 20, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Oooh, Lindsay! I was there literally this time last year, in Akaroa, with the Kiwi and his Mum! We saw a gorgeous big seal on the beach, and went for a wonderful hike, and had fish and (kumura) chips by the water! SOOO much fun. Akaroa is breathtakingly beautiful. I really hope the mini quakes stay mini too – sending you unshakeable thoughts! <3 day trips are heavenly, such a wonderful way to get back to what matters – each other, and NOW – and NZ is the most beautiful place to unplug in nature! So peaceful! Oh how I wish me and the Kiwi were there too, right now. <3 Big love! xyx