30 Minute Thursday: Start Where?

by lindsay cotter on December 1, 2011

Yesterday was big day for us. When I say big, I mean big in a small way. Like being able to run pain free. Yes, the hubs and I went for a run. His first run since September and his first run post PRP therapy last week. We found a park and ran on the grass for a while, then stopped and walked every 4 minutes. It was nice to enjoy that feeling of starting again.

Starting up again (in any area of life) can feel daunting… but only if we let it. It can also be a chance to focus on that day. Just getting out there, wherever you are, and taking a chance. I like that!

216415364_q34EWmdZ_b

Start it UP conditioning

• Warm up 5 minutes easy
    • 20 sec pick up (increase pace)
    • 20 sec easy run or walk
      • repeat 5x
    • Now find a mat or grassy area and work on strength
      • 30 sec single leg squat (each leg)
      • 30 sec push ups (wide)
      • 30 sec lower leg lifts
      • 30 sec superman
        • repeat 5x
    • Back to the run/cardio
    • 1 minute easy run followed by 15 second sprints
      • repeat 5x
    • Core- repeat 2-3x
      • 1 minute plank with knee tuck
      • 1 minute side plank
      • 1 minute Russian twist
    • Cool down/stretch

Want another great CONDITIONING workout?Check out Lindsay’s List for a killer Tuesday Trainer. Now you have a Tuesday/Thursday Workout to do!

tt1

Thankful Board days 11 and 12: Starting WHERE you ARE.

beacho-matic

Where are you starting today?

Samantha December 1, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Start where you are today – Oh, how I needed those words today Lindsay. I’m in a completely new place in my life that I have not been able to embrace and accept, but I dubbed December my “Action” month.

Time to take action and embrace where I am, today, as you said. Move forward, be positive, and start here.

What a great message. :-)

LCCotter December 1, 2011 at 11:32 pm

i read your mind today friend. I think we all needed to hear this. It was on my heart! so lets start today…just where we are! Keep me posted on how your month goes. <3

Miz December 1, 2011 at 7:31 pm

Im letting it be ok that I am where I am.

LCCotter December 1, 2011 at 11:32 pm

and that is beautiful. Peaceful, and just plain brilliant!

Kim K December 1, 2011 at 7:47 pm

is the hubs eating ice cream?!! i want some!

starting where i am…well i got an answer about my back pain today. i am starting the process of becoming pain free.

LCCotter December 1, 2011 at 11:21 pm

the hubs told me!! that is good news. Now we can tackle that pain and get you 100% better.

Bre December 1, 2011 at 7:47 pm

lookie that beach!!! I’ll start there!! :)
Running!! :) :) :) I have no words but huge smiles because running again makes you do that!

LCCotter December 1, 2011 at 11:21 pm

yes, and you are running too! this is awesome news!

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers December 1, 2011 at 7:51 pm

So happy you guys can start again! I know it must be frustrating for him but exciting at the same time. I’m sure he’s happy to have you there by his side. :)

LCCotter December 1, 2011 at 11:22 pm

that is about right. Frustraing but exciting. Making progress!

Heather (Where's the Beach) December 1, 2011 at 8:03 pm

Awesome news – so glad he was able to run pain free. And love the idea of starting from where you are – not where you were or want to be. But right now. Today I’m resting and I suppose in a weird way that’s starting my good run tomorrow ;-)

LCCotter December 1, 2011 at 11:22 pm

i think that way too! tomorrow will be a glorious run now! Happy for you to enjoy it. <3

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List December 1, 2011 at 8:07 pm

Love that – start where you are today! Really comes with zero pressure or baggage!
thanks for the shout out, my love!

LCCotter December 1, 2011 at 11:23 pm

ahh yes, no baggage. thats perfect!

Jess December 1, 2011 at 8:10 pm

Oh how I love to hear this – soooo happy the hubs is on the mend and that you’re joining him on this restarted journey together! So very awesome, so love this for you guys!!! <3

LCCotter December 1, 2011 at 11:23 pm

i thought you’d like to hear that. Makes me happy too!

Raina December 1, 2011 at 8:36 pm

How great that you two can run together! It must be fun to spend time that way. Nice cardio/strength combo :)

I am hitting reset this week too. Just taking it easy with the running and starting back without a rush.

LCCotter December 1, 2011 at 11:24 pm

it was really nice to be able to run with him. Blessing indeed! Reset sounds good. Keep me posted on how you feel. Miss hearing from you!

Alexandra December 1, 2011 at 8:37 pm

Woohoo!!! Yay for running again!! I’m sure it was amazing! :)
Ps– is that your man having ice cream?? I’m teleporting down there for a cone heehee :D

LCCotter December 1, 2011 at 11:25 pm

yes! its hokey pokey ice cream. His favorite here. Now that is a good start, right?!

Health Bee December 1, 2011 at 8:52 pm

That’s so wonderful to hear that your husband is running pain free again! What a great way to start a new journey.

LCCotter December 1, 2011 at 11:25 pm

thanks friend! i couldn’t agree more!

katie December 1, 2011 at 9:12 pm

Woot Woot for RUNNING again and ICE CREAM!!! <3

Happy Thursday! <3

LCCotter December 1, 2011 at 11:26 pm

the perfect combo, right?! ;)

Klh December 1, 2011 at 9:12 pm

Awesome! You have to start somewhere!!
I love those pictures : )
I have several Thursday workouts of yours to do!

LCCotter December 1, 2011 at 11:26 pm

yea for more workouts. You have to keep me posted on how they go!

Abby December 1, 2011 at 9:27 pm

VERRRRYYYYY happy to hear that James is running!!!! :)

LCCotter December 1, 2011 at 11:27 pm

slowly but surely friend. Answered Prayers!

Ameena December 1, 2011 at 10:02 pm

Great news! I’m so glad that running is back in James’ life. I wish I could say the same for me but my knee will never let that happen! And yet I’m just grateful I can walk. :)

LCCotter December 1, 2011 at 11:28 pm

I would be gratedul too! walking is good, its great! It means you can move or rather walk away from the husband, right? hehe. jk

Danielle December 1, 2011 at 10:05 pm

i love those pictures at the end! You are so talented with the camera girl!

LCCotter December 1, 2011 at 11:28 pm

thank you danielle. I have to give credit to my photoshop for most. hehe.

audrey December 1, 2011 at 10:15 pm

haha…is that a post-run icecream cone???
glad to hear “hubs” is starting back to running.
recover smart-train smart and he will kick some major a$$
when he hits the circuit again.

LCCotter December 1, 2011 at 11:29 pm

yes, post run ice cream. Best recovery yet…at least for the tastebuds. hehe. Thanks for your encouragement. I believe in him too!

Kath (My Funny Little Life) December 1, 2011 at 10:44 pm

I’m so happy your run went so well today, and the pain was gone! :)

Kristin @ STUFT Mama December 1, 2011 at 10:56 pm

Oh yes. Start where you are! That first step is always a tough one. Soooooo happy for you both that you went for a run together pain free. :) yay! Wish I could run with you in NZ (then eat some granola). :)

LCCotter December 1, 2011 at 11:30 pm

oh me too! come on over. I’ll provide fresh milk from the local cows. tee hee.

lauren@spicedplate December 1, 2011 at 11:18 pm

Such awesome news! I am constantly experiencing knee pain when I run, so I have a taste of knowing what it would feel like to have a pain-free run…although, for me, it would be more like a pain-free yoga workout…I was never much of a runner.
Yes! to starting where you are. What a simple, yet inspiring statement.

Sending you happiness!

LCCotter December 1, 2011 at 11:30 pm

you will get there. Such patience, its hard. But it helps make us mentally stronger, right? xoxo

Allie December 1, 2011 at 11:39 pm

I’m so happy for the Hubs to be pain free! Woo-hoo!!!

LCCotter December 2, 2011 at 12:09 am

i know! Praying it continues!

Sabrina @ Radioactive Runner December 1, 2011 at 11:40 pm

what good news… that’s great about the run!! one step forward, right :) That looks like a GREAT workout too!! I always like your workouts.

LCCotter December 2, 2011 at 12:10 am

i actually liked this wokrout too. SImple yet a little challenging here and there! Hope you are having a great week friend. thanks for the kind words.

Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama December 2, 2011 at 12:26 am

Starting is always the hardest part for me. But starting is starting, no matter how small. Starting is big!

LCCotter December 2, 2011 at 2:23 am

yes, exactly! well said Maryea. Starting is big! How are you feeling by the way? ready to start pushing? haha.

Lou December 2, 2011 at 12:28 am

Ahhh, sweet Sumner – that is a little community that is having to start a fresh after the earthquakes, so sad to see the destruction when I was there in May. It’s still beautiful though.

‘Ruin is the start of the path to transformation’

LCCotter December 2, 2011 at 2:22 am

there as some damage, but it looks like sumner is rebuilding. thankfully. such a sweet little town. my heart is there.

Julia December 2, 2011 at 12:40 am

omg. that quote. start where you are today. that really hit me as i read it. i have been really thrown off ever since my accident on Monday and worried that I am going to let it affect my mindset for Vegas but i think that quote can go even beyond running/working out and just be true in about anything. i am going to start where i am right now. focus on where i am now. and go from there! thanks for posting this friend!

LCCotter December 2, 2011 at 2:24 am

oh i am so glad you read this before you left for vegas. These words really are the perfect way to describe what you are going though. so write it on your hand when you run! hugs!

Rach December 2, 2011 at 1:48 am

What a blessing to run pain free! And I love the idea of starting where you are instead of trying to get ahead of yourself. So much wisdom in that. Not only with exercising, but with so many other things too. :)

LCCotter December 2, 2011 at 2:25 am

me too. Like the other Lindsay said, it means no baggage! yes!

Christin@purplebirdblog December 2, 2011 at 2:18 am

Yes! That run is PROGRESS, and that’s all we can strive for! :)

LCCotter December 2, 2011 at 2:23 am

exactly. progress is good to me. progess beats perfection anyday!

Jennifer Cotter December 2, 2011 at 2:23 am

Run without pain…awesome! As usual, your post hits the nail on the head. Start where you are today…beautiful. :)

LCCotter December 2, 2011 at 6:29 am

oh good, i am so glad it spoke to you. I am in a constant reminder of this. :)

Tara December 2, 2011 at 2:35 am

I’m starting in the same place as the hubs today!! It’s such a sweet feeling, running pain free… but so hard to stick to walk/running as you get started again! Now if only it was warm enough here to be eating ice cream!

LCCotter December 2, 2011 at 6:28 am

you two are identical in your running season. Crazy how similar in fact. COngrats on that run friend, you deserve it!

Christine @ Merf In Progress December 2, 2011 at 3:51 am

I’m gonna start going to bed early. Hahaha, not!!!

LCCotter December 2, 2011 at 6:27 am

i will hold you accountable, haha! start hating me now!

Katie December 2, 2011 at 4:15 am

LOVE this. I’m starting on Operation Stress Less. Should be much easier now that the semester is ending!

LCCotter December 2, 2011 at 6:27 am

oh beautiful! i like that operation, although its not painless, its worth it!!

Nichole December 2, 2011 at 9:35 am

Starting today, for you it’s even a day ahead:) I am starting today with a prayer for a happy and healthy holiday. I am taking things one day at a time. The holidays fly by and I want them to slow down so I can enjoy everything.

LCCotter December 2, 2011 at 6:48 pm

oh i like that! in fact, i would like to second that prayer. AWESOME nichole!

Lisa @ Healthful Sense December 2, 2011 at 2:21 pm

I definitely need to think about this and what it means to me… I’m on autopilot so much of the day w/ the 3 little ones so this is a big one… I need to be okay with where I’m at today and not worry about where I think I’m supposed to be! Have a lovely weekend <3

LCCotter December 2, 2011 at 6:48 pm

i know, we definitely go into autopilot. A good reminder for us all to start where we are and keep trying, right?!

jobo December 2, 2011 at 4:19 pm

I love this!! Love that you two did this together and embracing where you are, in life, physically, mentally, emotionally. Have a great weekend!

LCCotter December 2, 2011 at 6:49 pm

yes! i love it too! i know you and M are doing the same. Happy Friday friend.

PBJenny December 2, 2011 at 4:40 pm

I have such a bad happen of procrastinating. not just work or chores, but my health. “Okay, I’ll start eating all of my calories tomorrow. Okay, next week. Okay. December” but I’m learning to remain present. Focusing on my health NOW. Why wait to feel great? Ugh, that sounded corny. I totally didn’t mean for it to rhyme!

thanks for your positivity, always <3

LCCotter December 2, 2011 at 6:47 pm

each day we can start new, just know that! Love you friend and you know i love your rhymes. hehe.

Rachelle Wardle December 2, 2011 at 6:48 pm

You are a very inspired writer and I am so glad you shared this. You really should be a speaker because you totally know how to relate to people and always in such a positive way. I absolutely love those last two pictures. Have a wonderful weekend in NZ!! I hope you get to go out and explore. :)

LCCotter December 2, 2011 at 10:33 pm

oh gosh, thank you! i think i get the words to say just by reading blogs that inspire me….LIKE YOU!

Sam December 2, 2011 at 7:23 pm

yay for a successful run!! thinking healing thoughts for him still :)

are you planning on teaching classes in NZ?

have a super weekend!

LCCotter December 2, 2011 at 10:34 pm

no teaching here. I am on a teaching sabbatical. Just taking classes. Feels good!

teabagginit December 3, 2011 at 1:03 am

j & i went on our first run together yesterday! it was so nice to get out there and feel the ground beneath my feet!
today, i’m starting at a jog. i mentioned before that i was sprinting and then came to a dead stop. now i’m jogging easily again. a pace i can keep and i pace i enjoy. today, i’m starting with a deep breath!

LCCotter December 3, 2011 at 3:41 am

that is awesome T! Its so nice to be able to run with a loved one, it keeps us grounded and much appreciative of where we are, you know?! <3

jennyv December 3, 2011 at 6:38 am

Starting out my 28th year… and I’m focused on listening to God and what He wants me to do! :)

LCCotter December 3, 2011 at 7:41 am

that is one amazing gift to give yourself. And you know what? God will do the blessing! Happy birthday!

esmemerrie December 3, 2011 at 6:43 am

ahhhh! Running without pain, how I wish I could say those words! Yet your post reminded me of something so important. Start SLOW! Every time I attempt to run, I pace myself based on my cardiovascular endurance, not my joint health. Silly girl!

LCCotter December 3, 2011 at 7:41 am

yes, you will eventually get there! slow and steady wins the race friend. xoxo

Susan December 3, 2011 at 2:55 pm

LOVE that saying x100000. Perfect words for someone who is injured or sick. So many of us wake up wishing we could do the things we used to, when we should focus on where we’re at right now and go from there. Thank you for this!

LCCotter December 3, 2011 at 5:52 pm

i agree. We sometimes tend to dwell on the “if only we did this before” moments. Guilty here! but like you said, we need to focus where we are at and make it good, its our choice, Right?!
Hope you are enjoying the day friend.

Mayra Rasmussen December 9, 2011 at 10:44 pm

Move forward, be positive, and start here. slowly but surely friend. oh i like that!

LCCotter December 10, 2011 at 12:03 am

me too! words to live by, now i just need to remind myself. haha