Well we did it. It’s over, Christmas that is. But there is still that little part of the Holiday Marathon left. That little 0.2 extra of those 26 mile. And you know what? It comes out of NO WHERE! It’s called NEW YEARS! Four days until 2010 is officially said and done. WOWZERS! I know a lot of people are already looking at what they can “fix” in 2011 but lets not dwell on that just yet. Lets look back on 2010…………………….
To me, 2010 was a big year of HEALTH improvements. Not like the “eating better,” yada yada yada. It was how can my body restore itself and find nourishment at its fullest?!
About 2 years ago, I was diagnosed with a horrible digestive disorder (hence the gluten free diet). I would get sick about 1-2x a month and not keep anything down. Several doctors looked at me, ran tests, etc. I was a walking petri dish. Literally, that was my nick name by some! I finally decided to go to a Holistic Doctor which helped me see how my body was “off balance.” She opened my eyes to a lot of different allergies that may be causing my digestive problems. I’m not saying that she “cured” me, but instead enlightened me with a different health approach. I started making a lot of my own foods, cut out any processed ingredients, and really tried to focus on REAL food! The food God gave us. Oils, organic meats/eggs, fish, nuts, full fat dairy, etc. This helped me a TON! Probiotics helped restore my gut (hence the kombucha love!!). Since I still was not able to eat a whole lot of dairy, I stuck with Kombucha, 1-2 bottles a day. Yes, I know it can be expensive at times, but it was way better than paying for meds at a pharmacy!
Going through the Kombucha making process expanded my knowledge of the health benefits for this great drink. Hold your breath, here’s my list for you. Source: GT Kombucha
- Kombucha culture has a wide range of organic acids, probiotics, and enzymes that give it its extraordinary properties. Here’s a brief look at the benefits of each:
Beneficial Probiotics – Due to the prolific presence of pesticides, antibiotics, and preservatives in our environments, the beneficial micro-organisms present in our bodies are destroyed and killed off on a regular basis. These friendly microbes play a huge role in our digestive and immune systems. Therefore, it is crucial that they are replenished from natural sources like kefir, yogurt, and Kombucha. Our beverages contain Lactobacillus Bacterium and S. Boulardii, which can help ease digestion and purify the system.
- Live Active Enzymes – Active Enzymes are generally only found in foods that have not been cooked, processed, or refined. They are like the “spark plugs” for the body’s cells because they put “life” back in our bodies. If you think about it, the body is a living thing; why would you feed it something that is dead?
- Polyphenols – These are antioxidants that shield the body from health and youth compromising free-radicals.
- Organic Acids – These nutrients can assist in promoting balance and harmony.
- Lactic acid helps maintain healthy digestive action (through the probiotic lactobacilli) and for energy production by the liver
- Acetic acid is an antiseptic and inhibitor of pathogenic bacteria.
- Glucuronic acid, normally produced by a healthy liver, is a powerful detoxifier and can readily be converted into glucosamines, the foundation of our skeletal system.
- Usnic acid has selective antibiotic qualities which can partly deactivate viruses.
- Oxalic acid encourages the intercellular production of energy, and is a preservative.
- Malic acid also helps the liver to detoxify.
- Butyric acid protects human cellular membranes, and combined with Gluconic acid strengthens the walls of the stomach and digestive tract in order to combat yeast infections such as Candida.
- Nucleic acids, like RNA and DNA, transmit information to the cells on how to perform correctly and regenerate.
Moral of the story here folks is that I’ve come a long way these past few years. Haven’t had any “episodes” since. I give a lot of credit to my Kombucha addiction, right hubs? hehe. And I want to share that with you!
- Tell me how your health has turned around this past year, if any?
- Like GT Kombucha on Facebook- leave them a kind note too!
- Tweet about this and follow @GTsKombucha.
- Tell me your thoughts about kombucha. Check out GT’s website and explore it to find out more!
I’ll randomly select the winners New Years day! Starting the year off right!
Before I go, I must say that everyone’s definition of health is different. What works for me, might now work for someone else. I will continue to strive towards nourishing my body this next year, getting it back to 100%. I will enjoy the richness of food and the people who I am sharing it with!
I am thankful for a God that heals us in his own way. Open your eyes to what he gives you!
Its recipe time and I’ve got some coming up this week. They kinda look like this!